It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Issues I've been having with the Etecno Glow plugs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:07 pm 

My Dodge Cummins with the air inlet grid heater will start right up no matter how cold where I live. I have seen it function down into the low teens with no issues..... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

rankom wrote:
1st batch pn GX3123 7 D 43 brown ring , 2nd batch pn # GX3123 7V R94 black ring , NO PLAY IN TERMINAL TIP SOLID NOT LOOSE and tip is larger then 1st batch .

if somebody had installed e-tecnos 7v recently please check part number on GP i would like to know if it changes again , i have 1 of gp from the 1st batch and 3 of the second batch spare in my tool box all new units , i don't have the latest ones with loose tips where the wire harness plugs in , i need them in my collections , LOL seriously if you know part number please post it .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Ceearedeedriver wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
I put in a set 2-3 years ago, no problems....
...but it took six cycles for five seconds each for it to take./quote]
So how do you define problems and hard starting?

I look at the Etecno1 web site and these are being marketed as a direct replacement for the ceramic plugs. There are no special caveats or instructions for cold starting. I expect them to be able to start the vehicle down to at least -20F without the block heater if necessary, 9F should be a walk in the park that shouldn't require any cycling.

Yeah, it's definitely some lame engineering, but nothing compares with the $13k or so I have in mine, not to mention I get 50% better mpg than the Gassers. I bought the Sasquatch grid heater and it helps, a person could tap a plug in the stock elbow for a heater element and run a switch to the cab for a cheap grid heater. Of coarse I thought of this after I already bought the Sasquatch version :5SHOTS:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A fouled cylinder chamber will prevent a good firing.

A fouled fuel injector will create a hard to start condition.

I found that cleaning the above with MMO will quickly change the hard to start condition. A good clean chamber will facilitate the firing up.

Mine fires right up in cold weather without being plugged in.

I just received my new set of authentic 5v Bosch metal glow plugs from Europe and will be installing them when i have some free time. The Etecnos willbe gone

33.74 pound sterling (41.62 US Dollars) delivered to my address in the states, ..... 15 days delivery time from England and includes 5.00 dollars delivery charge.

Code 0250402003-GS Product 1x Bosch Sheathed Element Glow Plug 0250402003 - Qty 4

The Green Spark Plug Co Ltd (Parent Company of) http://www.gsparkplug.com Car Spark Plugs & Motorcycle Spark Plugs

http://www.protect.bosch.com/default.aspx

Last edited by racertracer on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've had my Etecnos since just before you could get them in the states, so I guess this is my third winter. Maybe fourth as two of them were wicked cold and last year wasn't .

Anyway, in subzero temps sitting all day at work all I've ever done is wait for the chimes to stop and it fires right up.

Even though I paid a lot more to get them from Italy I remain pleased with the purchase.

2006 GMC Sierra Duramax/Allison - the toy
RIP - 1995 Tahoe 6.5 TD
1990 JD 332, yep, the mower is a diesel too

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here are pictures of the Glow plugs I received with their corresponding Bosch containers and the security tags on the box to check for counterfeit glow plugs.

https://www.protect.bosch.com/

The cost for all 4 was just under 50 dollars, delivered to my mailbox from England with a 15 day delivery time. All's good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

racertracer wrote:
Here are pictures of the Glow plugs I received with their corresponding Bosch containers and the security tags on the box to check for counterfeit glow plugs.

https://www.protect.bosch.com/

The cost for all 4 was just under 50 dollars, delivered to my mailbox from England with a 15 day delivery time. All's good.

Awesome deal. Glad you shared.

I was wondering if our glow plugs are self limiting?

I was also wondering if somebody could make a stand alone glow plug system with it's own glow plug controller.

But if you are having success with those glow plugs, then that seems like the way to go

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:50 pm 
LOST Member

jrsavoie wrote:
Awesome deal. Glad you shared.

I was wondering if our glow plugs are self limiting?

I was also wondering if somebody could make a stand alone glow plug system with it's own glow plug controller.

But if you are having success with those glow plugs, then that seems like the way to go

I picked up a dozen from green spark plug before Christmas. I don't plan to buy any more, ever!

If you search their web site for glow plug controller you'll find some stand alone options.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I replaced the Etecnos Glow Plugs two weeks ago with the new 5v Bosch GP that I received from Europe.

Few turns of the engine and it fires right up at the first morning light in 22F degrees.

Haven't had real deep cold weather yet, but when it does get colder, I'll report back.

Part number 0250402003-GS

Purchased from http://www.gsparkplug.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This morning the temperature was 12 Degrees and the jeep started smoothly and without a rattle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Are you still running the 7v tune, or did you switch to a 5v tune with the 5v Bosch?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am running the latest Yeti tune and according to people on this forum who are familiar with that software, it will permit either GP to work.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:31 am 
LOST Addict

In case you want to know the latest etecnos I ordered were May 23, 2017 and they have part # GX 3123 7V S06 stamped on plug.

Also when removing the plugs I had no problem with two jeeps (8) plugs as soon as broke loose could essentially screw out by hand. The third one two were that way and two would turn thread but be essentially as hard to turn as a first ( I estimated about 30 ftlbs ). I read up and watched videos while pb blaster was soaking and discovered that warpage of metal and carbon deposits on pugs cause this so i used pb blaster till i got threaded portion out or at least almost out then sprayed brake cleaner to try to dissolve deposits better or at least soften them up. Then I used long curved needle nose to grab plug below nut portion and pulled while turning with ratchet it came out about 1/4 inch . I then gave it one more shot brake cleaner that i am sure could easilyflow down shank of gp and let it set a while it came a little more now i figured it needed more lubrication and cleaner had done its job used pb blaster again and it came out easily. so 10 of twelve gp came out super easy and two not so easy. will be interesting to see if those cylinders have a coolant leak or different compression.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:36 am 
LOST Addict

Guess one could try more voltage to etecnos though i understand twelve is too much maybe 8 or 9 volt and see if they hold up. not sure how much current they draw probably quite bit . could always put extra 8 volt golf cart battery lol !!! or just a new control module.

Question I am lazy today:

Are the Bosch 5 volt replacement glow plugs metal ?

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

thank you for the update ,so you have gx3123 7v s06, you purchased in may 2017 . ok i have some e technos 7 v from late 2013 GX3123 7D 43 THEY ARE BAD , and i have GX3123 R94 black ring {GOOD} they don't get so hot so they don't fail i like them because i just drive it summer time let us know how them latest versions perform in the winter , thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:53 pm 
LOST Addict

TKB4 wrote:
Guess one could try more voltage to etecnos though i understand twelve is too much maybe 8 or 9 volt and see if they hold up. not sure how much current they draw probably quite bit . could always put extra 8 volt golf cart battery lol !!! or just a new control module.

Question I am lazy today:

Are the Bosch 5 volt replacement glow plugs metal ?

Yes, the 5v plugs are metal.

Voltage to the glow plugs is controlled by the ECM by way of pulse width modulation.
That is, the voltage is 12v, but is rapidly turned on and off in a way that averages out to be 7v or 5v or whatever the case may be.
The 05-06 CRD came from the factory with a 7v glow plug system.
There was later a 5v upgrade that could be purchased and included 5v metal plugs, a new relay, and ECM programming for 5v plugs.

If your ECM is programmed for 7v glow plugs then you should use the 7v plugs.
But, if you find that cold winter starting is difficult, you could use 5v plugs.
They will run hotter and likely burn out more quickly but will help in the winter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:58 am 
LOST Addict

After post I remembered seeing them on ID parts for sale and went there to look for answer but thanks Flash for info. So they are p
ulsed. This is how modern trolling motors are controlled to change speeds and make more efficient use of the battery rather than using high amperage rheostat (read resistor) that dumps the extra power as wasted heat.

If the were going to do it this way not sure exactly why you would need a different glow plug module but I am not worried about it. Also I believe there is 5 volt power going to TCM from recent thread about grounded wire I would think this would be steady 5 volt not pulsed 12 volt and could have supplied same 5 volt to GP but I guess they also draw a lot of current for a short time and need dedicated circuit. I haven't looked at wiring diagram lately.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:24 am 
LOST Member

TKB4 wrote:
If the were going to do it this way not sure exactly why you would need a different glow plug module but I am not worried about it.
I read somewhere that the newer ones have MOSFETs with a higher current rating than the original modules had (since the glow plug voltage is lower, you'll need more current to make the same amount of heat). No idea whether that's actually true, or if it was just speculation.

TKB4 wrote:
Also I believe there is 5 volt power going to TCM from recent thread about grounded wire I would think this would be steady 5 volt not pulsed 12 volt and could have supplied same 5 volt to GP but I guess they also draw a lot of current for a short time and need dedicated circuit. I haven't looked at wiring diagram lately.
TCM's 5 volts is probably coming from a voltage regulator. That would be a pretty inefficient way to supply 5 volts to the glow plugs since they require so much current. Plus the plugs aren't always getting 5 volts; they're fed higher voltage at first to heat them up quickly and then the voltage drops off to maintain that temperature without overheating them. Can't really do that with a voltage regulator.