It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Issues I've been having with the Etecno Glow plugs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I believe that these glow plugs are trash and here is the reason why.

I've purchased a set of these last year and installed them soon after. They were meant to replace the original ceramics which were in great shape, they needed replacement due to the possibility of breaking and causing havoc in the chamber. A week later a code pops up ... bad glow plug number one. Easy to get at, so I removed it and checked the resistance, it was high indicating a bad plug. Things happen i said and let it go at that and went ahead and installed the original ceramic plug in its place, on a temporary basis until a new one arrived. A few days went by and glow plug number 3 fails. Incredible i thought, how could this be? Coincidence? I went ahead and pulled that one out also (this one is the PITA to remove cause the elbow is in the way), inspected for resistance and it was high. Replaced that one with another original ceramic plug .... also on a temp basis. Now while waiting for the new ones to arrive GP # 4 fails. WHAT the heck.... bad glow plug again, resistance too high.

Inspected all three plugs, all had a little black discoloration on them. Minor and normal dark smoke build up around them. I wiped them clean and removed any remaining stuck on dark smokey spots, with a small brass brush and retested the resistance. The resistance was back to normal... the plug was made good again. The new plugs hadn't arrived yet so I reinstalled the cleaned Etecnos, problem solved.

A day later plug number 2 is bad, then gp 3 again. Cleaned them all again ...resistance is good again ... reinstalled again. All's well till a few weeks later. new Etecnos arrive and installed.

Same crap a different day. I think using the Marvel Mystery oil may expedited the fouling of these plugs.

I've come to the conclusion that Etecnos don't like to be encased in soot created in the chamber or by smoky deposits formed especially at the base where the metal glow plug tips meet the chrome metal. If you clean them good especially at that spot, the proper resistance comes back.

Bad design if you ask me, there is no way of preventing the soot or dark smokey deposits from happening....We never know if the fuel we buy from the local fueling station is going to burn well, or that the engine isn't burning the fuel correctly.

I know one thing, my Bosch ceramics never gave me any trouble and the OEM metal glow plugs in my other CRD never have any problems either.

I'd return these if I could, they are garbage.

Last edited by racertracer on Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Issues I've been having with the Etecno Glow plugs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:01 am 
LOST Addict

So...
You gonna put the original ceramics back in?
Or switch to bosch 5 volt plugs?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

5 volts going in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:20 am 
LOST Member

Interesting story. The more I read about this product the more I feel we've been conned by this company. Not only do they not appear to perform adequately in cold climates but they also have recurring quality issues coupled with a fundamentally flawed design. I did try to contact Etechno1 to discuss cold starting with their plugs but they were not willing to enter into any dialogue. GDE also tried to get an instrumented plug from them to develop a proper tune for these plugs but Etechno1 declined viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83871. There are also some hints in this thread as to why running 5V metal plugs with the 7V ceramic tune may not give the improvement one would intuitively expect due to the very different characteristics of the plugs.

Anyone can make a GP that fits that hole but making one that works well and is reliable is another matter altogether. Unless you live in an area of the country where it's relatively warm year round, I believe the 5V Bosch plugs are the only viable option we have.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Odd. I don't see how soot on outside of glow plug could impact resistance but... For what it's worth my son and I both have the Etecno 7v glow plugs installed with no problems for going on 3 years now. In fact my son's 06 is in central Nebraska and has started ok for 2.5 winters now. Only real problem was 1) he killed the battery last winter by too many cold starts and short drives (yep I warned him but...) of maybe 1.5 miles before parking for the work day and 2) he said it was pretty crumpy about starting last week when he forgot to plug the block heater in when overnight temps hit 9F with a wind chill down around -20F.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:18 am 
LOST Member

racertracer wrote:
I wiped them clean and removed any remaining stuck on dark smokey spots, with a small brass brush and retested the resistance. The resistance was back to normal... the plug was made good again. The new plugs hadn't arrived yet so I reinstalled the cleaned Etecnos, problem solved.

A day later plug number 2 is bad, then gp 3 again. Cleaned them all again ...resistance is good again ... reinstalled again. All's well till a few weeks later

This intermittent behaviour may be related to what was observed here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85270&start=0 Your temporary "fix" may be due to mechanical manipulation associated with the act of removing, cleaning and re-installing the plugs rather than being related to the contamination removal per-se.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Sounds like the issue with the iphone where people held it and the antenna would ground out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:33 pm 
LOST Member

racertracer wrote:
They were meant to replace the original ceramics which were in great shape, they needed replacement due to the possibility of breaking and causing havoc in the chamber.

As the saying goes - Don't fix what ain't broke. Keep the ceramics in til a code pops up. Then change them immediately.

papaindigo wrote:
he said it was pretty crumpy about starting last week when he forgot to plug the block heater in when overnight temps hit 9F with a wind chill down around -20F.

Inanimate objects do not feel wind chill.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

True enough about wind chill but a vehicle cools off to ambient faster if wind is 20mph+ as opposed to 4mph-

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Any one else experiencing issues with the Etecnos and is able to remove the problem ones for testing?

Test the resistance, clean them, retest resistance and report back with what you find.

Last edited by racertracer on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:28 pm 

joelukex4 wrote:
As the saying goes - Don't fix what ain't broke. Keep the ceramics in til a code pops up. Then change them immediately.

Try telling that to someone one on this forum who has one of their ceramics tips break off and destroy the top end of their engine! :grim:

That is the very reason I replaced my perfectly good working ceramics due to the fear factor from others horror stories...just simply not worth the risk of catastrophic and expensive consequences...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:33 pm 

WWDiesel wrote:
joelukex4 wrote:

Try telling that to someone one on this forum who has one of their ceramics tips break off and destroy the top end of their engine! :grim:

That is the very reason I replaced my perfectly good working ceramics due to the fear factor from others horror stories...just simply not worth the risk of catastrophic and expensive consequences...

Quote:
Any one else is experiencing issues with the Etecnos and is able to remove them, test the resistance, then clean them, retest resistance and report back with what you find.

So far, no issues with my recently installed 7v Etencos... I did notice after installing, the tips where the wire connects had a little movement in them. I called IDParts about it and they told me that was normal?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

1st batch pn GX3123 7 D 43 brown ring , 2nd batch pn # GX3123 7V R94 black ring , NO PLAY IN TERMINAL TIP SOLID NOT LOOSE and tip is larger then 1st batch .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

what is the PN# for 3rd batch , with loose terminal tip ? (i guess latest version )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:26 am 
LOST Addict

I put in a set 2-3 years ago, no problems. I bought them around January 2014 from ID parts. I read somewhere on here about a redesign or maybe bad batch. I started barely the other day when it was about 9F, but it took six cycles for five seconds each for it to take.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:49 am 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
I put in a set 2-3 years ago, no problems....
...but it took six cycles for five seconds each for it to take.

So how do you define problems and hard starting?

I look at the Etecno1 web site and these are being marketed as a direct replacement for the ceramic plugs. There are no special caveats or instructions for cold starting. I expect them to be able to start the vehicle down to at least -20F without the block heater if necessary, 9F should be a walk in the park that shouldn't require any cycling.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:11 am 
LOST Junkie

Ceearedeedriver wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
I put in a set 2-3 years ago, no problems....
...but it took six cycles for five seconds each for it to take.

I look at the Etecno1 web site and these are being marketed as a direct replacement for the ceramic plugs. There are no special caveats or instructions for cold starting. I expect them to be able to start the vehicle down to at least -20F without the block heater if necessary, 9F should be a walk in the park that shouldn't require any cycling.

Lol. Lower your expectations

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:31 pm 
LOST Member

[/quote] So far, no issues with my recently installed 7v Etencos... [/quote]

Your in Central Georgia. Ask anyone in the Northern States and Canada how well they work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:39 pm 

Quote:
So far, no issues with my recently installed 7v Etencos...

joelukex4 wrote:
Your in Central Georgia. Ask anyone in the Northern States and Canada how well they work.

Agreed, glad I am not in a very cold climate that would tax the Etencos...
Come January and February we normally get a few nights of teens to low 20's, will see how they do then. I do not expect good results!
But on the other hand, I do not have to worry about one breaking off and destroying the top end of my engine. Guess you could call it the lesser of two evils!!!! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

I look at the Etecno1 web site and these are being marketed as a direct replacement for the ceramic plugs. There are no special caveats or instructions for cold starting. I expect them to be able to start the vehicle down to at least -20F without the block heater if necessary, 9F should be a walk in the park that shouldn't require any cycling.[/quote]
I have been around farming, and diesel engines, since I was 10. I am 34 now. I have never met a diesel engine that would start on glow plugs alone at -20F. The best was a case skid loader with a 3 liter 4 cylinder. It started down to about -5F when it was new. Take note that it started, but sure as hell was not happy.