It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blown Transfer Case and in CO?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:46 am 
LOST Member

Pretty sure I blew my transfer case towing yesterday through TX and NM on snow packed roads. I was in Full time 4wd. When driving, the Jeep will lose power to the wheels, and the engine will rev. If I throw the transfer case into 2wd, I get a grinding clunk (supposed to be able to shift on fly?) and then I have power again. If I shift to 4wd part time, I hear a whirring noise. Had to crawl home in 2wd yesterday. TX and NM, your DOTs suck. Got to CO, and roads were clear and dry.

Anyone have a transfercase for sale in the front range? It is the same for gassers and CRDs? I assume it is.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

Post subject: Re: Blown Transfer Case and in CO?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:13 pm 
LOST Member

The whirring noise is the front propeller shaft spinning. That sound is normal . It's due to the gear reduction. In 4wd part time it's amplified because the shafts are spinning very very fast. If you really want to hear them whirr, drop it into 4LO and go for a boot.

The slippage you experienced in FULL TIME mode , is most likely the tires slipping . FULL TIME is basically AWD (all wheel drive).

Part time is where the front and rear prop shafts lock and the front and rear wheels turn at the same time. ie power is equally split between the front and rear.

When you shift your transfer case are you slowing down and putting it into Neutral before shifting? On the fly doesn't mean shift when in Drive and at high speeds ...you can be rolling but you still need to be in neutral to shift.

That's the best way I can explain it....I don't think your t case is broken at all .maybe the linkage needs fine tuning adjustment. A good 4x4 shop can quickly assess it for you.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

Last edited by Bushman5 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:24 pm 
LOST Addict

If you need one, I have one near Boise Idaho if that's helpful

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:37 pm 
LOST Member

Bushman5 wrote:
The whirring noise is the front propeller shaft spinning. That sound is normal . It's due to the gear reduction. In 4wd part time it's amplified because the shafts are spinning very very fast.

The slippage you experienced in FULL TIME mode , is most likely the tires slipping . FULL TIME is basically AWD (all wheel drive).

Part time is where the front and rear prop shafts lock and the front and rear wheels turn at the same time. ie power is equally split between the front and rear.

When you shift your transfer case are you slowing down and putting it into Neutral before shifting? On the fly doesn't mean shift when in Drive and at high speeds ...you can be rolling but you still need to be in neutral to shift.

That's the best way I can explain it....I don't think your t case is broken at all .maybe the linkage needs fine tuning adjustment. A good 4x4 shop can quickly assess it for you.

Maybe I didn't explain completely. This is not what happened. It was not tire spinning, and the sound is not the sound that it has ever made before in part time. It completely lost power. Not tires slipping. Like I threw it in neutral. Then if I clunked into 2WD I had power again. I have put it in 4WD low to try to get the tow rig up my driveway, and I cannot get 4WD. I get 2WDlow. Does 4WDlow work just like the 231, where your do not have to be moving to engage? It could be a linkage slightly out of wack and maybe it's popping into neutral. I'll check that out, but that doesn't explain the lack of 4WDlow and the noise in part time 4WD.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:06 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
If you need one, I have one near Boise Idaho if that's helpful

Thanks. Probably too far to be worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Np, yeah shipping would be lame

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:02 pm 
LOST Addict

I am in Fort Collins CO I have one I would sell for $200.

PM SENT.

Also any XJ or ZJ or WJ 242 transfer case will work. These are very common and cheap at junkyards.

upullnpay.com

or LKQ self service in the denver area.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:31 pm 
LOST Member

Sir Sam wrote:
I am in Fort Collins CO I have one I would sell for $200.

PM SENT.

Also any XJ or ZJ or WJ 242 transfer case will work. These are very common and cheap at junkyards.

upullnpay.com

or LKQ self service in the denver area.

Called your cell. PM replied.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

If you are losing all power at the ground in full time 4wd, I would suspect the differential in the transfer case. All CRDs came with full time 4wd, only some of the gassers did. And you should be able to shift on the fly 'at any legal speed' between 2-hi and 4-hi. 4-low ALWAYS requires a full stop.

BTW, if you have the choice between full time 4wd and part time 2wd, you should almost always use full time. The differential in your front and rear axles allow the tires to spin at different speeds. The differential in the full time 4wd transfer case allows your prop shafts to spin at different speeds. Part time 4wd locks the ratio on front and rear prop shafts, so if you are getting good traction on both axles (intermittent dry pavement for example) you can damage your drive train. And just to be complete, 4-low puts a lower gear ratio on the front axle. So if your rear tires have traction it puts a huge amount of stress on your drive train.

But also note that shifter linkage problems are also pretty common on Liberties.

Post subject: Blown front Diff?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:48 am 
LOST Member

So I went to pull the transfer case, but just for my own sanity, I put the Jeep up on jackstands, shifted into 4wd (part time), and the front driveshaft had resistance to turning. So I started the vehicle, shift into drive, and both driveshafts are spinning, but neither of the front wheels are spinning. Did I blow the front differential? How in hell do you blow a front differential? Doesn't look like fun to drop either.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:55 am 
LOST Member

Further confirmation of differential problem. Front diveshaft locked (in park in 4wd), turn one wheel, other wheel does not turn. Wheel rotates freely, with driveshaft not moving. Is the differential smoked?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:34 pm 

Dent wrote:
Further confirmation of differential problem. Front diveshaft locked (in park in 4wd), turn one wheel, other wheel does not turn. Wheel rotates freely, with driveshaft not moving. Is the differential smoked?

Pop the cover and look for any damaged spider gears! It may not be as bad as you think if it only lost the teeth on the spider gears or one of the side (axle) gears... :roll:
Let us know what you find!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Also have differential for sale.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:08 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Dent wrote:

Pop the cover and look for any damaged spider gears! It may not be as bad as you think if it only lost the teeth on the spider gears or one of the side (axle) gears... :roll:

You weren't far off. The pinion is smooth, as in no teeth, and there was no fluid in the differential.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Dent wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
Dent wrote:

You weren't far off. The pinion is smooth, as in no teeth, and there was no fluid in the differential.

Well crap. How the hell does that happen?
Where did the oil go?
Is the diff case cracked?

I cant imagine the noise that thing musta been making.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:12 am 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:

Well crap. How the hell does that happen?
Where did the oil go?
Is the diff case cracked?

I cant imagine the noise that thing musta been making.

Don't know how it happened, and it was not noisy. It may have been that way from before I got it. I have always thought the 4WD was suspect in this Jeep and it hasn't been in many traction limited situations. I better check the case for a crack. Good heads up call. There is still the problem with the transfer case, but I need to get the front diff fixed first.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:04 am 

If it has been run dry of oil, you many want to consider replacing the whole unit with another one. :wink:
There are other bearings and bushings that will have to be replaced if ran dry and worn out in addition to all the bearings that support the carrier and pinion... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:46 am 
LOST Junkie

WWDiesel wrote:
If it has been run dry of oil, you many want to consider replacing the whole unit with another one. :wink:
There are other bearings and bushings that will have to be replaced if ran dry and worn out in addition to all the bearings that support the carrier and pinion... :roll:

I concur. If it has been run dry I would completely remove it, unless rebuilding it in place is do-able or just replace it.

curious as to how you lost all of your fluid

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:41 pm 

jrsavoie wrote:
unless rebuilding it in place is do-able or just replace it.

It could be rebuilt in place, but the expense would most likely be far greater than just replacing the whole unit with a good used assembly! :roll:
I think SirSam stated he had one available for purchase?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:48 pm 
LOST Addict

I talked to Dent and he is also thinking about going to 4.10s right now. He stated he already had a rear set so he would need to purchase the front and the other parts to install.