It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking about getting a CRD.....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

I looked through the first couple pages on here becuase I'm sure this sort of inquiry is common. I also looked through the newbie guide pinned at the top.

I currently have a 2008 Scion XB. It's not nearly functional enough and I feel the fuel economy sucks (23/24ish). However, I bought it from the dealership that originally sold it new and it's been certified pre-owned before (they have sold this vehicle 3 times now). It also has an extended warranty I purchased for it. I should note that I'm a renewable energy major working in energy efficiency and sustainability. Therefore I'd like my vehicle to reflect my values/work in that department.

I'm wondering if there's any notorious issues with it. I saw someone saying the "engine is junk", but I realize people will complain about anything. What is this engine out of? It's from Italy, correct?

What I'm wanting is a reliable and functional vehicle that gets decent fuel economy (25+) I can eventually convert to biodiesel.

A buddy who works at a used car dealership said they have one, but it's got 219,000 miles on it. They might be willing to trade for my car. It just seems like I'd be downgrading in some regard. Obviously upgrading in other areas too. Reliability is a big concern I have. I don't want this to be a maintenance project, but I would like to have it as a hobby/project to upgrade it and make it functional for my needs.

How long do these engines typically last? What's considered "high mileage" for it? I saw one from a private seller that's only got around 80,000 miles.

Thanks for any input or advice you can provide.

Post subject: Re: Thinking about getting a CRD.....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:26 pm 
LOST Addict

OHW_CRD wrote:
I looked through the first couple pages on here becuase I'm sure this sort of inquiry is common. I also looked through the newbie guide pinned at the top.
Good. Noob guide covers a lot of the basics.

I'm wondering if there's any notorious issues with it.
Boost hoses, Fuel filter assembly, EGR valve, head gasket...
What is this engine out of? It's from Italy, correct?
VM Motori, Italy
What I'm wanting is a reliable and functional vehicle that gets decent fuel economy (25+) I can eventually convert to biodiesel.
If you get the GDE tune and drive it like a responsible adult, 25+ is reasonable.

A buddy who works at a used car dealership said they have one, but it's got 219,000 ... Reliability is a big concern I have. I don't want this to be a maintenance project, but I would like to have it as a hobby/project to upgrade it and make it functional for my needs.
Any car with over 200k miles is going to be a maintenance project. Without service records, you will want to change the timing belt right away. And then there is the list of non-engine items that will probably be worn out and need replacement. If you are not willing or able to fix and repair this thing yourself, you will quickly go broke. Reliability is a concern because you do not know how well it has been maintained.

How long do these engines typically last?
A few members here are above 200k miles. Dont really know how long they are supposed to last.

What's considered "high mileage" for it? I saw one from a private seller that's only got around 80,000 miles.
Buy that one if you really want a CRD. Although it will still probably need a new timing belt.

Thanks for any input or advice you can provide.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
How you define a maintenance project is obviously a personal threshold, but any vehicle will last a long time if properly maintained and the design flaws have been cured. This vehicle is no exception. Yes the engine is Italian, the rest of the vehicle is straight Chrysler.

The list of modifications that is popular on the forum takes care of most of the discovered design flaws in this. There are options available from custom manufactured thermostats and heating systems for cold weather, to higher quality parts for the internals of the engine that add significantly to the overall reliability and longevity. Most of the potential problems relate to long-term use of the factory emissions system which was not well designed at all. If you are thinking about a vehicle with 220,000 miles on it, I would suggest planning on one large job of doing all of the potential modifications at once and replacing everything that was affected by the EGR usage if it has been for a significant period of this vehicles life.

How the engine looks when you open the hood and take the engine cover off, will make a great deal of difference in your opinion of how it was cared for. Dealerships will not spend the effort to detail the actual engine, so if it is filthy and covered in soot, that suggests that there are more potential problems to be discovered then if it is clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The key issue on buying a CRD is 'are you comfortable working on engines?'
if yes it's a reasonable idea
if no - it's not.
you'll spend $100/hour for someone else to learn - no one's been trained - a few here have learned on their own.

as to total reliability - the Diesel's the good part - it's still in a Jeep

lots of fun when everything works - but high maintenance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am mechanically inclined when I have to be. I mean in my 20's I did engine swaps and things like that, but I had the space and help to do it. /for perspective, I'm 36 and my only experience is with EFI vehicles. It's no longer my thing in life, but basic maintenance is not a problem. I would have someone else do head gasket or timing belt.

I test drove the car in question today. The ONLY reason I'm considering it is becuase they might just trade me straight across for my car. I do think mine is work a little more, but that's how things work when you want something. Gotta pay the piper.

The car is in excellent shape. I assume it was some sort of commuter. It just had lots of miles. There is a Carfax on it, but that's not going to give maintenance. How clean it is also makes me a bit nervous. I'd rather have it dirty so I could see it in real life. Not cleaned up to be sold at a used dealership. And of course I was told that since it's a diesel, it will get double that mileage. Which might be true generally speaking, but maybe not with this engine. I don't know how strong this engine is. I mean it's no Cummins...

Here's the listing. I really really like it, but that high mileage scares the crap out of me.

Also, what else does this engine come in?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5953432577.html

Last edited by OHW_CRD on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:16 pm 

It really is not a vehicle for everyone unless you like to perform your own maintenance and like doing your own work on the motor and suspension!
If you have to pay someone to perform work on the engine and you are lucky enough to find someone that is knowledgeable on how to work on this engine, it gets real expensive real fast!!! :shock:
The parts and the labor are both expensive!!! :roll:

Below is a list supplied to a couple of other requester's on here previously, it is not all inclusive, but a good basic list of possibilities to consider... Searching on this forum, you can find informational threads on most all of these items along with the 'how to' instructions... Have any questions on any of them just ask, there are many great people on this forum more than willing to help and answer any question no matter now trivial.... :wink:

**Timing belt replacement should be number one if you have not done it or know if and / or when it was last done! Most replace the water pump as well when replacing the timing belt...
A broken timing belt can cause catastrophic damage as this is an interference engine and repairs can get very expensive when considering replacement costs of damaged parts and labor... :roll:

Some good updates and mods worth considering as time and monies allow:
1. **Replace timing belt /water pump (read above)
2. Install In-tank fuel pump (eliminates all air in fuel problems)> http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/
3. Install ProVent on CCV system (gets the oil out of the turbo inlet hose, turbo, boost hoses, and CAC)
4. Install Secondary 2 micron fuel filter (protects expensive CP3 fuel injection pump and expensive fuel injectors)> http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=80139&hilit
5. Install Silicone Boots Hoses
6. *Install Weeks elbow kit (removes EGR, EGR cooler, and FCV) > https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/products/egr-delete-jeep-liberty-crd/ See item #8
7. Upgrade torque converter to Hemi or SunCoast TC (solves and TC shudder issues if installing performance tunes)
8. DIY performance TUNE ($0 cost and available on this list in the CRD Tech section) > http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418
......{a must do if you install the Weeks elbow kit to eliminate DTC's (check engine light) that will be present when you remove the EGR & FCV)
9. *Remove CAT & choke point and put in straight piece of pipe (improves exhaust gas flow, lowers backpressure on turbo and improves turbo spool up response time)
10. *Replace muffler with straight through performance muffler (same improvements as item #9)
11. Rear shocks (You did not mention replacing them in your post!) {upgrade tires if needed}
12. Check / replace upper and lower ball joints if needed, they wear out and can separate
13. Service transmission, replace filters & fluid (use only ATF+4 transmission fluid)
14. Install Magnefine in-line transmission fluid filter (filters and traps all micro fine metal particles and can be serviced without dropping transmission pan)> http://magnefinefilters.com/Magnefine-3-8-Magnetic-Inline-Transmission-Filter-R038M.htm
15. Change engine oil / filter (install larger better quality filter)
16. Replace: engine head bolts with ARP studs, rockers arms, and exhaust valves (ex. valves can break) {proactive engine failure prevention}

*Removal of the CAT and EGR valve totally may not be possible depending on your location and whether or not your vehicle has to endure an inspection. If it does there are some workarounds for both items to disable them completely but leave them in place for visual inspections purposes!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Silly question... the car I looked at had that roof light bar. It doesn't seem like many have those???? Do people add those? Of course there's aftermarket ones, but they don't look good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WW... you're scaring the guy. lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
$8000 for 219k miles? That is way high. They are taking you for a ride b/c they haven't been able to move that one at all, and can get more for yours. They must not have much at all in it.

I love how they take ultra-close-up pictures of the steering wheel switches, but don't show a single thing of the engine other than the plastic engine cover. You can remove that by opening the oil fill and then pulling straight up. It is only held on by plastic grommets.

I'd still want to see the engine on that one. I have one for sale with nearly all the mods listed above, on a zero-mile engine...

The mods done on mine includes: New head gasket, new valves, ARP studs, new rockers and lifters, metal glow plugs, intake elbow EGR delete, computer tune, new timing belt and water pump, new fluids, and then normal Jeep stuff of new wheel bearings and brakes. I'd sell it for the same 8k, and I wouldn't then also hit you with another (likely) $1500 in dealer fees and nonsense that even with a "swap" you will most likely be presented with on this deal. The body and transmission on mine only has 160k miles on it. The only mod it is missing is the in-tank lift pump. You could hop on a plane and pick it up and drive it right back, I'm that confident in it. I've driven it over 10k since rebuilding it and it hasn't hiccupped once.

Pictures here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/snpu9hdsqz64 ... WfkRa?dl=0

This red one, you'd still most likely be looking at another $1600 in parts to do all the reliability stuff that I listed above... Because that is exactly what I paid too, and that doesn't include the labor to do it all.

Last edited by geordi on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:36 pm 
LOST Member

OHW_CRD wrote:
Silly question... the car I looked at had that roof light bar. It doesn't seem like many have those???? Do people add those? Of course there's aftermarket ones, but they don't look good.
The light bar on the Jeep in the craigslist ad? That was optional on the Liberty Renegade; never was available on the CRD so someone added that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Lots of pictures a great help in negotiating price. Although for the Oregon market that is really a pretty good price for a 2006 CRD.

Note the rear seatbelts. They've got that indelible weird stain that happens when cars sit unused here in Oregon. I couldn't see the fronts if they have it or not.

Note the fuel filter head. Does anyone know why one of these would be operating with the fuel heater unplugged? I suspect its the original type, not the upgraded one. There is no blue plug in sight either. Just an empty socket. You should plan on replacing the fuel head or make the dealer replace the filter head with the new design as part of your bargain.

The cooper tires on it are good all around tires but not for any significant mud. They look around 50% tread left from the best picture I could see.

Probably the best advice I can give, is put on the smallest micron fuel filter available, Install an In-tank fuel pump, and NEVER fill up in Multnomah County pump. EVER. We have a great number of diesel pullers that make the trip to the coast every weekend, and the ones that didn't know about the government specified contaminated fuel that is required to be sold there, have a special vocabulary reserved for that issue.

If you're talking about doing your own fry oil or bio fuel, or black diesel, just make sure that the final filtration that goes into the tank has both water trap/filter AND a 3 micron or finer final filter.

Regardless of what you decide,

Good Luck and Have Fun

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:43 am 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
$8000 for 219k miles? That is way high. They are taking you for a ride b/c they haven't been able to move that one at all, and can get more for yours. They must not have much at all in it.

I love how they take ultra-close-up pictures of the steering wheel switches, but don't show a single thing of the engine other than the plastic engine cover. You can remove that by opening the oil fill and then pulling straight up. It is only held on by plastic grommets.

I'd still want to see the engine on that one. I have one for sale with nearly all the mods listed above, on a zero-mile engine...

The mods done on mine includes: New head gasket, new valves, ARP studs, new rockers and lifters, metal glow plugs, intake elbow EGR delete, computer tune, new timing belt and water pump, new fluids, and then normal Jeep stuff of new wheel bearings and brakes. I'd sell it for the same 8k, and I wouldn't then also hit you with another (likely) $1500 in dealer fees and nonsense that even with a "swap" you will most likely be presented with on this deal. The body and transmission on mine only has 160k miles on it. The only mod it is missing is the in-tank lift pump. You could hop on a plane and pick it up and drive it right back, I'm that confident in it. I've driven it over 10k since rebuilding it and it hasn't hiccupped once.

Pictures here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/snpu9hdsqz64 ... WfkRa?dl=0

This red one, you'd still most likely be looking at another $1600 in parts to do all the reliability stuff that I listed above... Because that is exactly what I paid too, and that doesn't include the labor to do it all.

There's one in town for $10,500 that's got 76,000 miles, one for $8,400 with 100,000 miles, and another one for $8,000 with 99,000 miles.

What makes this one appealing is that I can trade for my car. Even if it's a downgrade a bit, that's kinda how it goes in that situation.

How do people typically go from one car to another? I've usually had cheaper cars that I was able to just buy what I want and sell the other one later. I might try to do something like that with this, but have to borrow a chunk of money and pay that off when I sell the Scion.

I was strongly considering doing this before your post.....

Last edited by OHW_CRD on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am 
LOST Newbie

What's one of these engines cost to rebuild anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:23 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
For a complete rebuild, done by a reputable engine builder, with R&R and all parts purchased through them, you're probably looking at half the cost of buying a new vehicle, or more.

Rule #1 Never use anything that rhymes with "Clown" (Crown)

The basic short block and systems therein are really quite strong, and as long as good maintenance practices and materials (lubricants, coolants, etc) are applied, problems there are rare. Same applies to the timing and accessory pulleys and belts, their bearings, and clutches.

If they are checked regularly, and you get to know the sound of your engine when it's in good condition, and pay attention to any changes, what condition causes the change, and circumstances under which they occur, then you are most likely going to be ahead of the cascade of problems that end in critical failure, and "very expensive noises." EDIT: Note that the timing belt is not to be listened for "going bad" It should be changed regularly based on mileage or age, whichever comes first.

The most irritating problems have to do with the systems that orbit the head.

- Breathing: (intake and exhaust) Specifically, the EGR system. It's on there only because it's specified by the EPA. It functions like someone shoving a hose up your backside, and inserting the other end down your throat, with a flapper valve in the middle attempting to regulate how much you breathe in from the top vs from the bottom side. It's about as healthy for the engine as it would be for a person. The best solution is to remove the system entirely. For you in Multnomah county, I would suggest a blockoff plate inserted in the pipe joint between the egr valve and the exhaust pipe that comes around the back of the head. It guarantees your engine fresh air to breathe, getting much higher fuel efficiency as well as much cleaner exhaust.
The exhaust breathes decent in stock form, but you can benefit greatly from replacing the factory muffler with a flowmaster unit that doesn't have the internal crimping of the OEM unit. For most of Oregon, CAT free gives a bit better breathing as well, but since Multnomah uses visual inspections, you should probably keep your Catalytic Converter. With the intake air, if you go with an oiled K&N air filter unit it will likely cause you more problems. Paper filters do a much better job of filtering without plugging as fast, since a lot of the dry fines drop away at idle and fall out the bottom rather than stick to the element and make mud.

- Fuel: Keep it air-free, and particulate free.
***Air-free with a in-tank supply pump. Gassers came with them, CRD's were left without. But you want one that's made for diesel. There are several choices. If you're going to budget it, find a Cummins powered Dodge that's been smashed in the back. The tank might not be useable, but it's really unusual for the pump to be damaged and you can pick them up reasonably. They fit with a bit of jimmyjiggin. If you have the bucks, just get a new one from https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/products/in-tank-lift-pump-for-jeep-liberty-crd-5143160aa/. The primary purpose of the in-tank pump besides supplying fuel up through the fuel filter, is to prevent air from entering in through any of the factory quick-disconnect joints in the fuel line. Sasquatch also has a plug and play harness that uses the existing in-tank pump wiring (yes the wires are there to the point of the back seat, as well as the the relay and even the programming. they just forgot the pump!) https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/products/plug-and-play-in-tank-lift-pump-wiring-harness-for-jeep-liberty-crd/ Of course you could also scavenge the loom piece from a wrecked gasser, but you would have to switch wires around to make it work properly. There are threads here for that.
***Particulate free with a multi-stage fuel filtration system. Solubilized air, water and particles of micron 5-7 sizes are the greatest causes of wear and sticking of high pressure pumps and control components, such as the high pressure fuel pump, the injectors, and the fuel pressure and quantity control valves. Use a water separator upstream of your primary filter. This allows you to keep track of water and contaminants in the fuel that you use. Use a 5 micron or less filter, (better than oem) and change it at least every other oil change. All this is not only to protect the cp3 pump, but also the injectors, and the fuel pressure solenoid metering tip. I've had to replace injectors on a Detroit 8V92 that got just a tiny bit of water in the fuel, and blew the injector tips off like fired from a gun, or a tiny grenade. It's unlikely to do that much damage on a CRD since the injectors are limited to system pressure, but still, whatever it does won't be good.

- Coolant. HOAT only. Basically, Original Mopar, or http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/g-05-antifreeze-coolant Never let a drive-through maintenance place put anything in your coolant. These systems seem to be quite robust as long as nothing else besides distilled water is ever added. One top-up with another kind of anti-freeze, and your whole cooling system is filled with something that ranges between bubblegum and cement.
You can thank the old timers here for that bit of advice. I do love learning from other people's experience! :-)r

- Crankcase Ventilation: The factory ventilation is there, and works to scavenge the crankcase of all the crankcase gunk and gasses, but then they just dump them right back into the intake, .. pre-turbo. There are various gunk-stoppers on the market that work in various ways with various results, but the basic idea is to run the gunkygasses through something that strips the gunk and vaporized oils and water and solvent from the gasses, and passes them into a catch-can, and allowing the clean gasses to return back to the same pre-turbo point, without all the gunk. Still a closed system, no damage to the environment. I, like many others, bought the provent. Basically I chose it because I know it works. No risk, no error-trials.

Nearly everything else on this engine is electrical function management. Switches and servos, and sensors everywhere. Even the sensors have sensors it seems. And the control module network decides everything. This is where people like me get seriously in over my head. To begin to know where to look for a problem, when no physical diagnoses can be found, have to find out what isn't working, in a flowchart fashion, then you have to know what criteria the computer uses to decide what to do with it. Of course there are those that prefer a shotgun approach to replacing parts, and are frequently saying "well, that wasn't it" along with things much more colorful.
The flipside of this, is that, tuning for economy, tuning for power, tuning for emissions, can all be done through changing 1's and 0's rather than replacing pistons camshafts, grinding stroker cranks, etc.
But it seems based on what I've seen of my own and what I've seen posted here, that the problems are very often related to heat, vibration, and moisture / corrosion. Wiring loom maintenance, cleanliness, and tightness are going to be important as any other preventive maintenance.

Liberties are not "drive and repair" vehicles. These may not have the bare knuckle, bare bones look of a wrangler, but they are definitely Jeeps. PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE IS A HUGE part of keeping repair costs down.

Transmission: Physically tough. electronically, apparently, not so tough. They do like the juice though. (a bit overfull makes em happy)

Torque converter: Probably the #1 reason that Transmissions are pulled. When it comes to that, you'll want to do Trans Kit, Front Pump, and make sure the torque converter is stronger than what you want from the engine tune. Choices range from $150ish to 800ish, with some of the more expensive ones being really sucky, and some surprisingly good ones toward the bottom.

Suspension: With that many miles you'll probably want to look at all the suspension joints, as well as steering.

Again, Good luck whatever you choose.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:50 am 

racertracer wrote:
WW... you're scaring the guy. lol

Yes I know, but I wanted him to know what he could be getting into!!!! :wink:
It takes a good bit of monies, time, and labor to refurbish a used high mileage Jeep CRD...ask me how I know!!!! :roll:

And GordnadoCRD, very good writeup!!!!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:14 am 
LOST Addict

My advice: keep your vehicle and get a crd as a 2nd vehicle. There are issues with them that till fixed, will let you stranded. Till you get used to working on crd and getting used in fixing everything, best bet is to have another spare vehicle.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:55 am 
LOST Member

thermorex wrote:
My advice: keep your vehicle and get a crd as a 2nd vehicle. There are issues with them that till fixed, will let you stranded. Till you get used to working on crd and getting used in fixing everything, best bet is to have another spare vehicle.

Totally agree with this. If you enjoy tinkering with vehicles and like to drive something a bit unique the CRD can make a great hobby vehicle but I'd hate to have to rely on it as an only vehicle. Putting owner capability aside parts availability alone can be a showstopper. At the moment we're better served for parts than ever but there's still many that are challenging to source.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:58 am 
LOST Junkie

Add up all the stuff I have listed to figure out what I have in mine. There are a couple of misc parts I did not mention - like Cam and crank position Sensors. Map sensor, serpentine tensioner

I have a 2006 with about 180,000 miles. Many upgrades - a few not installed yet.

Within the last 40,000 miles

New Mopar crate engine - about $5300 worth.

New front drive shaft with one year unlimited mileage warranty.
JBA front upper control arms

rear boomerang/upper control arm.

New front wheel bearings

New alternator

Starter rebuilt

Samco hoses

Green Eco tune

Jeffrey Allan Bauer's thermostat

Webasto heater

New tires within 10,000 miles

In tank lift pump.

FS2500 bypass filter

New battery this year - a few months ago.

Transmission rebuilt with 3 year warranty - within 10,000 miles

New brakes all around

And some other stuff that I can't think of right now

3 book factory repair manual set - plus another repair manual

Timing tools

Green Eco trans tune

Front hitch

Heated leather seats, but the heat part was never hooked up.

The transmission tune, Webasto and Thermostat have yet to be installed

2 rust spots on the roof - I have quotes between $500 and $1500 to get it repaired

$7500 firm. I might take items in trade.

Message me if interested.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

Last edited by jrsavoie on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:38 am 
LOST Newbie

A little different perspective. Mine has 175k miles on it and it was my daily driver (83 mile round trip) for 2 years. It never left me stranded once. Has never needed a tow. Has needed no major engine work while I have had it, and the only engine 'defect' is my EGR is dirty and throwing a code. I changed the thermostat once (~$150) and the alternator decoupler twice.

I do have a new timing belt kit waiting to be installed, as well as new boost hoses. And I'm going to pull the EGR and clean it, then install a block off plate. (~$500)

But.... I stopped driving it regularly and bought a car with a 1.5l turbo because the cost per mile was so much cheaper. My Jeep averages 24mpg on diesel and my Fusion does 27mpg on gas. Maintenance is considerably cheaper on the Ford. Everything on the Heep is expensive to replace..... I've spent a great deal on drive train/suspension due to neglected maintenance by the previous owner. Hub, CV and prop shaft R&R, etc.

The up sides for keeping it is that it tows better than my little truck, gets better fuel economy than my 1-ton, turns on a dime, and is fun to drive.

If diesel is the goal, I'd probably recommend RAM 1500 or Colorado. You might even be able to trade up to new with an equivalent payment if you can avoid the Cadillac packages they always want mate with the diesels. I was able to spec a Colorado to replace my 1 ton for about $35k, but I have to order it because I want the OnStar delete so I haven't pulled the trigger on the purchase yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure this is the vehicle for me. I was just looking for a decently sized modernish vehicle that had a diesel engine.