It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thinking about getting a CRD.....
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

don't get me wrong , it is a nice looking jeep , and if you can please go back and read WW diesel advice , it is just about saving your money

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:42 am 
LOST Member

Hi Guys!

Not looking to highjack a thread or anything.....Like OHW_CRD, I too am looking at buying a CRD, except this would be my 2nd one. I've been away for a few years since selling my '05, Thumper, in 2013. I can see that lots of things have been experienced with these "Italian Mistresses."

Guys, your very informative posts on this thread, from everyone, as well as the category itself has me really thinking if I want to jump back into the fray. I can do my own work, I did most all of it on Thumper; but as many have said it is not for the faint of heart.

Again, a big THANK YOU to all who contribute here.

OHW_CRD, from experience, and as I think you can tell, you are definitely in the right place for insight on Liberty CRDs.

Hope this helps.

#1 Liberty: '05 CRD Limited Stone White
(SOLD Dec. 2013)
#2 Liberty: ???
"Why guess when you can know?"- Carroll Smith

Last edited by Hoosier CRD on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:15 pm 
LOST Addict

OHW_CRD wrote:
I am mechanically inclined when I have to be. I mean in my 20's I did engine swaps and things like that, but I had the space and help to do it. /for perspective, I'm 36 and my only experience is with EFI vehicles. It's no longer my thing in life, but basic maintenance is not a problem. I would have someone else do head gasket or timing belt.

I test drove the car in question today. The ONLY reason I'm considering it is becuase they might just trade me straight across for my car. I do think mine is work a little more, but that's how things work when you want something. Gotta pay the piper.

The car is in excellent shape. I assume it was some sort of commuter. It just had lots of miles. There is a Carfax on it, but that's not going to give maintenance. How clean it is also makes me a bit nervous. I'd rather have it dirty so I could see it in real life. Not cleaned up to be sold at a used dealership. And of course I was told that since it's a diesel, it will get double that mileage. Which might be true generally speaking, but maybe not with this engine. I don't know how strong this engine is. I mean it's no Cummins...

Here's the listing. I really really like it, but that high mileage scares the crap out of me.

Also, what else does this engine come in?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5953432577.html

WHOA! $8,000 is HIGH for that mileage. I would sell you mine(if I was selling it) with most of the preventative maintenance and 96k miles for around there.

Everyone covered pretty much everything else. If you can do some wrench turning then you can do what you need to do with this car. Most of the work is easy, but can just be time consuming. Head gasket may or may not be an issue but timing belt is actually not too hard of a job with the right tools which can be rented. People build it up to be scary but its really not.