It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cummins 2.8 Repower crate engine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:01 pm 
LOST Addict

olypopper wrote:
https://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/Performance_Aftermarket/Products/Control_Modules/TCM-2000_Transmission_Controller/TCM-2000/

545rfe is old news when it comes to stand alone trans controllers. Hotrodders have been doing it for several years since 5.7 hemi crate engines have become available as crate engines.

I welcome this little Cummins as I KNOW it will be more reliable than the VM........and I don't feel the VM is that bad. I think too many people blindly think that because it's a diesel it will last forever with minimal maintenance. This is a light duty diesel and requires love.

Reliability is no longer something that would draw me to a diesel. It's just not so true anymore.

If I was gunna bother to put this motor in something, I wouldn't waste my time on a liberty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
was gunna bother to put this motor in something, I wouldn't waste my time on a liberty.

Exactly!

I think it would be a great fit in a 1995 Bronco.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:16 pm 
LOST Member

[quote="mass-holeIf I was gunna bother to put this motor in something, I wouldn't waste my time on a liberty.[/quote]

I wouldn't waste time changing a liberty to anything........I like it very much in it's current form and why bother with such a turd of a vehicle! I think a 2.8 Cummins in a Ford Ranger or a Dodge Dakota would be slick............Even a newer S10 or Colorado/Canyon to convert from gas would be cool but not sure it would be worth it unless you could get a donor vehicle for cheap and then theres the 10,000 pound elephant in the room......emissions testing????? Depends on where you live. I'd be ok because we got smart in Alaska and voted all emissions testing out of the state. The rest of you guys are hosed with the Enviro-Nazis.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
olypopper wrote:
I think too many people blindly think that because it's a diesel it will last forever with minimal maintenance. This is a light duty diesel and requires love.

True story!

I just had a long conversation and argument with my brother-in-law who is definitely not a car guy. Short version is he is a blithering idiot. The problem I see, is that he is far from unique in the car-buying community. He wants a "simple" vehicle that he can just get into and drive in just about any conditions, and we all know this is not how this vehicle (or any really) actually is.

This is not the product for the general public, this is obviously aimed at the enthusiast community who are ready for a vehicle that isn't quite so turn-key.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:26 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
geordi wrote:
olypopper wrote:
I think too many people blindly think that because it's a diesel it will last forever with minimal maintenance. This is a light duty diesel and requires love.

True story

This is not the product for the general public, this is obviously aimed at the enthusiast community who are ready for a vehicle that isn't quite so turn-key.

Whether that was the intention, or not, it's definitely the way it turned out.
It seems to be mostly a turn-key foundation for a custom toy, or making some kind of personal statement, or even used as a light duty farm implement.
All the little (or big) uniqueness-es are fun to explore in this community.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:44 am 
LOST Junkie

flash7210 wrote:
I think it would be a great fit in a 1995 Bronco.

Amen! Either that or some old International (Scout, Travelall, etc.)

Although I fully expect it to be a bazillion dollars, given what even used 4BTs go for.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:08 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
olypopper wrote:

True story!

I just had a long conversation and argument with my brother-in-law who is definitely not a car guy. Short version is he is a blithering idiot. The problem I see, is that he is far from unique in the car-buying community. He wants a "simple" vehicle that he can just get into and drive in just about any conditions, and we all know this is not how this vehicle (or any really) actually is.

This is what Tacomas and 4runners are for.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:51 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
geordi wrote:
olypopper wrote:

True story!

Not to derail this thread but Yota's of today aren't nearly reliable as Taco's and 4-Runners of old. I have lot's of diehard reliable friends who have driven Toyota's for life and they are jumping ship like rats. I find myself fixing them waaaay more often at much less mileage than older rigs. Toyota has figured out the way to make more money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

olypopper wrote:

Not to derail this thread but Yota's of today aren't nearly reliable as Taco's and 4-Runners of old. I have lot's of diehard reliable friends who have driven Toyota's for life and they are jumping ship like rats. I find myself fixing them waaaay more often at much less mileage than older rigs. Toyota has figured out the way to make more money.

Ever see some of the dealer prices for parts for toyota's? My god that is how they make there $$$.

$280 for a ABS sensor and the aftermarket version is $12.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:44 pm 
LOST Member

Yep, that's part of it. The major factor is the lack of long term durability that Yota was once world renowned for. That is looooong gone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:22 am 
LOST Member

1970s Bronco would be bad booty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:49 am 
LOST Addict

olypopper wrote:
mass-hole wrote:
geordi wrote:
True story!

Right, but your average schmo that Geordi was talking about has no idea. I still havent figured out what the fascination is with them, they do nothing for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:56 am 
LOST Addict

How far do you have to go back before the quality of yota's picks back up? I know my 70's & 80's were bullet proof, and my 4runners were "made" in the US.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:16 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
How far do you have to go back before the quality of yota's picks back up? I know my 70's & 80's were bullet proof, and my 4runners were "made" in the US.

The 1990's seemed to become the area for Yota's drop off in reliability depending on model. I know that I would not purchase any newer Toyota manufactured from the year 2000 until now. My wife purchased a 2001 a few years back and the chassis and body were wonderful and well built still but the service items like brakes, hoses and engine/transmission durability were crap so it went down the road in favor of an new F150 which was nearly bulletproof.