It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '05 Liberty CRD timing belt?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

New to the forum, glad to be here.
I'm having an issue with my '05 Liberty CRD.

I noticed a knocking noise coming from under the hood. Could not pinpoint it. Anyway, later while I was driving down highway the the serp belt popped off. After I towed the Jeep home, I tried hand turning all the pulleys and none are giving me any resistance or grinding. Any ideas where I should be looking for the knocking noise?
I started the engine without the serp belt on, the knocking and chirping noise is still there. I think it's coming from behind timing bet cover. 161k miles on it. Bought it used. Dealer can't tell if timing belt was ever replaced or not. No engine lights are on.
I would really appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: '05 Liberty CRD timing belt?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

In rare instances the noise has been a bad crank pulley/dampener. But besides that, is it idling rough? You really should have a new t belt kit put on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Could be one of the timing belt idler pulleys has failed or is failing. The water pump bearings could be going. Then tensioner could be having issues.

I would strongly advise that you do not run the engine untillyou pull the timing belt cover and investigate. This is an interference engine, so if the belt goes valves will make contact with the head. This means you may get valve damage, and will certainly trash the rockers. In these engines if the belt breaks/slips/pulley fails and the valves hit the piston it will damage the rockers, and usually not damage the valves. THIS IS VERY LUCKY since most engines will just bend and trash valves.

Take a look at the noob guide, and take a look at my timing belt procedure. If its timing belt related and not further in the engine then you may have gotten lucky to catch it before worse things happened. At 161k and 12 years old its about twice overdue for a change.

Also, now that I have strongly advised you not run the engine........can you take a *short* video of the engine while running so we can hear the sound it makes? Youtube makes a very easy place to share however a short video could be emailed as well.

Couple of years ago the water pump bearings failed on my water pump at about 150k, I did not replace it when I did the belt(stupid of me), it trashed the rockers and the belt. So I had to tear it down to the head, replace all 16 rockers, and replace all the timing belt parts again. At least this time I did it proper for the next 100k.

Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:01 pm 
LOST Addict

jws84_02 wrote:
In rare instances the noise has been a bad crank pulley/dampener. But besides that, is it idling rough? You really should have a new t belt kit put on.

Ya I had one fail at ~150k shortly after I replaced the rockers from the failed water pump. Seemed like it sitting for 1.5 years before I fixed the rocker situation had something to do with the failure.

Borrowed a spare from my 2.5 engine, but I still need to replace it. Dangit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:27 pm 
LOST Addict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRhlZXuNBqw&sns=em

Thats the video the OP took.
(OP = Original Poster, By The Way)

Sounds rattly like when my crank pulley went out, but the squeak sounds I did not have.

OP:
Next up I think you should remove the crank pulley, its held on with 4 10mm bolts. Remove that and lets see how it changes.

Also, there is only one small part where the crank pulley is visible, but the pulley looked odd in those few seconds, can you see if the pulley is wobbling or vibrating at all?

If you take off the crank pulley and shake it you can feel if its separating and if it rattles or clunks in your hand its bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yep x2, next step is remove the crank pulley and see what it does. If noise persist than its almost certain an idler or tensioner in the timing components is failing and need to get that serviced asap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:38 pm 
LOST Member

Not sure about the higher pitched squeak, but I'm thinking that dry metallic rattle sort of sound is bad bearings on a pulley.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

Sounds like a bad pulley under the timing cover. Also your alternator looks like it has a fixed pulley not the decoupler pulley.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:27 pm 
LOST Member

I'll put money on the water pump being culprit. Also, x2 on the alternator decoupler pulley missing. Get that thing replaced asap as you'll end up with a failed serpentine tensioner as well.....if it's not bad already. Time for an idparts timing belt kit with water pump!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Mine didn't have the squeal, but the clacking sound was all too familiar. I went with Sir Sam's suggestion of pulling the crank pulley first (decidedly easier than digging into the timing cover). Low and behold, the rubber between the balancer and the pulley housing was hard as a rock and about 2" of the material was completely gone. Installed a new one from ID Parts tonight and runs beautifully. Noise was worse on cold morning starts, so I'll try it in the morning, but I'm optimistic that it'll be

2" OME lift; Surco Safari Rack
Cooper Discoverer AT3 245/70R16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:40 am 

olypopper wrote:
I'll put money on the water pump being culprit. Also, x2 on the alternator decoupler pulley missing. Get that thing replaced asap as you'll end up with a failed serpentine tensioner as well.....if it's not bad already. Time for an idparts timing belt kit with water pump!

x2 on the alternator decoupler pulley is not correct! The noise sounds like an TB idler pulley or tensioner pulley bearing rattling to me.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Under-hood noises while the engine is otherwise idling normally and smoothly (for a diesel) are thankfully fairly few in number.

Squeaking / chirping bird: The alternator pulley is failing. This can also be seen by the headlights pulsating at night under light load or steady state driving, but usually not at idle. See also that the tensioner will be bouncing excessively and continuously. This *will* cause the tensioner rubber core to fail and the housing will split and push itself into the power steering pulley. Ejection of the serpentine belt is the usual result b/c the pulley is no longer aligned straight with the others.

Squealing / grumbling / grinding: an idler pulley bearing is on the way out and progressing through the stages of failure as the bearing eats itself.

Clunking / banging / rocks in a blender: the harmonic balancer pulley on the crankshaft is on the way out, large sections of the rubber core between the two halves are now missing. Serpentine belt ejection is again a possibility in severe cases.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:58 pm 

geordi wrote:
Under-hood noises while the engine is otherwise idling normally and smoothly (for a diesel) are thankfully fairly few in number.

Squeaking / chirping bird: The alternator pulley is failing. This can also be seen by the headlights pulsating at night under light load or steady state driving, but usually not at idle. See also that the tensioner will be bouncing excessively and continuously. This *will* cause the tensioner rubber core to fail and the housing will split and push itself into the power steering pulley. Ejection of the serpentine belt is the usual result b/c the pulley is no longer aligned straight with the others.

Squealing / grumbling / grinding: an idler pulley bearing is on the way out and progressing through the stages of failure as the bearing eats itself.

Clunking / banging / rocks in a blender: the harmonic balancer pulley on the crankshaft is on the way out, large sections of the rubber core between the two halves are now missing. Serpentine belt ejection is again a possibility in severe cases.

You forgot one other!
Those darn motor mounts when they go bad can make a rattling sound at idle especially with the AC running!!! :shock:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Where are you located? One of us might be able to help diagnosis or repair it, or you can let a dealer mangle it :grim:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete