It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5V Glow Plugs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:19 pm 
LOST Member

Does anyone know which plug is better for 5V? I see ID parts has both Bosch 5V and Etechno 5V. Im looking to replace mine now and i have the 5v programming

http://www.idparts.com/glow-plug-set-5v ... -3369.html

http://www.idparts.com/glow-plug-set-5v ... -6013.html

ARP Studs
New rockers + Valves
New #1 pistion and all connecting rods
New Crankshaft
Carter In-Tank Pump

Post subject: Re: 5V Glow Plugs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Hmmm, I've never heard of the etechno 5V plugs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:02 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Neither have I. Looks like it is a new product offering, I wonder what the lifespan would be if we start using those on a 7v program. I'm willing to sacrifice some plug longevity in exchange for a quicker / easier winter startup. I'm sure most would be.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:44 am 
LOST Member

They have been around for at least four years. The 5V and 7V are supposedly the same part with a different part # stumped on it viewtopic.php?p=817625&sid=6cef3cb6913ed6e94b474d34d49b433e#p817625

Of course, the same plug can't both be optimal with both 5V and 7V programming. At least one of the applications offer compromised performance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:08 pm 
LOST Addict

The Bosch 5v glow plugs are the best alternative for the factory 7v ceramic glow plugs. The Etecno plugs are not optimized for this application.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Hey Keith - Any thoughts on the survival rate / lifespan for the Bosch 5v on the stock 7v program?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:29 pm 
LOST Member

Hey Keith - What's the difference between the 5V option you have for your tune and what a Chrysler dealer would provide? Have you done your own optimization?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
The Bosch 5v glow plugs are the best alternative for the factory 7v ceramic glow plugs. The Etecno plugs are not optimized for this application.

Are the Bosch 5 volt glow plugs self limiting?

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:21 pm 
LOST Member

jrsavoie wrote:

Are the Bosch 5 volt glow plugs self limiting?

I think he's suggesting the 5V plugs with a proper 5V tune which would mean either his or the Chrysler one.

All dual coil plugs are self regulating to a degree but I believe this feature is more intended for the pre-glow phase which for the 7V factory tune is too short for the metal sheathed plugs anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:11 pm 
LOST Addict

We do not change the glow logic for 5 or 7 volt. We just put in the chrysler tune logic for 5 or 7 volt as the customer requests. We default to whatever is in the stock tune and 9 times out of 10 it is the factory 7 volt stuff. Very dangerous to change the glow duty cycle without and instrumented glow plug as it is very easy to pop these things due to over temp. Chrysler and Etecno did not want to provide us instrumented plugs for testing and optimization...so that never happened. An instrumented plug might run about $5000 and we certainly don't have any skin in the game per se to build these on our own.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:38 pm 
LOST Addict

That is unfortunate that they didn't want to play with you.

So any thoughts about if the 5v Bosch will run hotter and survive the 7v program?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:38 pm 

We do not change the glow logic for 5 or 7 volt. We just put in the chrysler tune logic for 5 or 7 volt as the customer requests. We default to whatever is in the stock tune and 9 times out of 10 it is the factory 7 volt stuff.

Can you explain the difference between the 5 or 7 volt logic? Is it the amount of time the ECM pulses the voltage to the GP's or does the ECM actually limit the peak voltage it applies via the module to the GP's or both. I am sure there are many on this forum that would love to have some basic understanding of the intricate differences between how the ECM programs handle the different GP voltages if you can share that information... :wink:
Many on here would be most grateful!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:20 am 
LOST Addict

There are several calibration changes for the 5v GP logic vs. 7v. Keep in mind, companies like GM, FCA, etc. have a dedicated engineer working solely on the glow system for their career, so it is not a trivial task. There are several stages for glow control depending on many factors like coolant temp, ambient temp, altitude, rpm, fuel, battery voltage, etc. There is a pre-glow, intermediate glow, start glow, readiness glow, and post glow. Being a PWM system, the maps correlate to a duty cycle to give a nominal voltage. You need an oscilloscope to properly measure the functionality. Each stage has different duty cycle outputs for the 5 volts, some are single values and others are 3-d maps. There are also conversions for voltage drop that feed into the system as well. I personally would not mess with the settings in the glow system.

The main reason the start ability is hurt with metallic glow plugs is the design of the combustion chamber. The layout has the tip of the glow plug splitting the gap between two orifices of the injector nozzle, so the fuel sprays on each side of the glow plug. This is correct for a ceramic plug where you do not want the spray to impinge in the tip. On a metallic plug, since they are not as hot, it would be better to have a nozzle orifice spraying closer/inline with the glow tip. This requires a new cylinder head design to be optimized and that is just not feasible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:56 am 

There are several calibration changes for the 5v GP logic vs. 7v. Keep in mind, companies like GM, FCA, etc. have a dedicated engineer working solely on the glow system for their career, so it is not a trivial task. There are several stages for glow control depending on many factors like coolant temp, ambient temp, altitude, rpm, fuel, battery voltage, etc. There is a pre-glow, intermediate glow, start glow, readiness glow, and post glow. Being a PWM system, the maps correlate to a duty cycle to give a nominal voltage. You need an oscilloscope to properly measure the functionality. Each stage has different duty cycle outputs for the 5 volts, some are single values and others are 3-d maps. There are also conversions for voltage drop that feed into the system as well. I personally would not mess with the settings in the glow system.

The main reason the start ability is hurt with metallic glow plugs is the design of the combustion chamber. The layout has the tip of the glow plug splitting the gap between two orifices of the injector nozzle, so the fuel sprays on each side of the glow plug. This is correct for a ceramic plug where you do not want the spray to impinge in the tip. On a metallic plug, since they are not as hot, it would be better to have a nozzle orifice spraying closer/inline with the glow tip. This requires a new cylinder head design to be optimized and that is just not feasible.

This is great information, thanks very much for sharing!
What is your opinion of people using the 5v GP's on the 7v programing as some are currently doing? Any dangers other than premature failure or a shorter lifespan overall? :roll:
I am sure some are on the fence so to speak and toying with the idea of installing the 5v GP's....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:50 am 
LOST Junkie

WWDiesel wrote:

This is great information, thanks very much for sharing!
What is your opinion of people using the 5v GP's on the 7v programing as some are currently doing? Any dangers other than premature failure or a shorter lifespan overall? :roll:
I am sure some are on the fence so to speak and toying with the idea of installing the 5v GP's....

I have been running 5 volt glow plugs on the 7 volt Green Eco tune for about 40,000 miles. 30,000 miles of which I didn't know. Then I finally pulled a glow plug to see what I had.

I ordered the 7 volt upgrade, but have never installed it.

I am also wondering what the possible bad ramifications of running like this might be

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85977&p=905268#p905268

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:49 pm 

For inquiring minds who would like to know a little basic info on what a PWM System is, like the one used on our Jeep CRD's to control the voltage and the amount of heating time at the Glow Plug Tips! Reading this along with what GDE supplied may help with understanding why the programing and / or maps contained in the programing in the PCM for the GP's is relevant.
:SOMBRERO:

*Understanding a PWM system:
Pulse-width modulation (PWM), is a modulation technique used to control of the power supplied to electrical devices, especially to inertial loads.
The average value of voltage (and current) fed to the load is controlled by turning the switch between supply and load on and off at a fast rate. The longer the switch is on compared to the off periods, the higher the total power (voltage) supplied to the load.
The PWM switching frequency has to be much higher than what would affect the load (the device that uses the power), which is to say that the resultant waveform perceived by the load must be as smooth as possible. The rate (or frequency) at which the power supply must switch can vary greatly depending on load and application
The term duty cycle describes the proportion of 'ON' time to the regular interval or 'period' of time; a low duty cycle corresponds to low power, because the power is off for most of the time. Duty cycle is expressed in percent, 100% being fully on.
*some text from Wikipedia

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:22 pm 
LOST Member

So I have the GDE tune. Will it be okay to install the Bosch 5v glow plugs as is since you suggest them for this application?

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:56 am 
LOST Addict

taroo wrote:

So I have the GDE tune. Will it be okay to install the Bosch 5v glow plugs as is since you suggest them for this application?

You will want the ecm glow logic in the tune to match the voltage of the glow plugs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:19 am 
LOST Member

taroo wrote:

You will want the ecm glow logic in the tune to match the voltage of the glow plugs.

Okaaayyy....so how do I get the correct ECM ecm glow logic? Since I have the GDE tune do I sent the programming unit back to you to update? Do I download it from you? Need some direction here if I decide to change. The 7v metal tips are crap for me even here in Virginia cold weather!!!!1

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:11 pm 
LOST Member

Would a more feasible solution would be different injectors with the tip rotated a few degrees from the current position so that one of the orifices is aligned with the glow plug? I may be oversimplifying it, but it seems like that would be much easier than redesigning the whole head to move the glow plug in line with one of the current injectors' orifices.