It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fuel dripping on the bottom of the tank.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:05 am 
LOST Addict

bushtit wrote:
During my last fill up I noticed fuel dripping from the bottom of the tank on the side of the fuel door. Upon quick check I don't have any holes in the bottom part of the tank and the fuel comes from above. Is the a overflow valve anywhere on the top that would explain that dripping fuel or do I have some established leak somewhere. For what it is worth, I always fuel up to the tits, and then some more. Never had any issues before so I am wondering if it is even connected. Also, couple of months ago I had Sasquatch pump installed in my CRD, so the tank was down, and chance is that something was not tightened properly.

Maybe one of the fuel line connections at the top? They are known to let air in so they could also be letting fuel out under pressure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:57 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I noticed this for the first time tonight while fueling up a CRD that has never had the tank down to my knowledge. Dunno where the drips were coming from, but the tank was only half full when I started fueling and it dripped a couple times almost immediately... But not when the tank was full to the lip. I always try to fill the pipe completely for an accurate mileage count, and I've never seen it dripping before.

I think something else is going on, dunno what yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:38 am 
LOST Member

I agree and would have my money on the quick connections being damaged when reinstalling (mainly pinching). I remember when I did mine they were very fragile. Also make sure that the screws on the housing where the nozel goes back in is extra tight. Also check they fully tightened the clamp on the hose where it meets the tank itself.

If it's all tight and no major obvious holes in would take it back to the installer and ask them to check it out.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:08 am 
LOST Addict

This happens to me at almost every fillup.
There is a vent valve at the left rear corner of the tank and I guess sometimes it gets stuck open. So if I jam too much fuel in or if the fuel is extra foamy, fuel will drip out.
I have to watch for this everytime and its how I know when the tank is full.