It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Shot up on hood/under intercooler intake hose
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Over the past couple months I have had the following work done on the 2006 CRD (106k miles)
New Thermostat, New Timing Belt, New Pulleys, New Boost Hoses, Intake cleaned, Oil Change, New Harmonic Pulley

Today when I got to work, I smelled something hot, so I lifted the hood and noticed on the front left side of the engine, there was a mist of oil on the air box, the coolant tank, the AC lines, and on the top of the hood (there is a small area where there is a noticeable amount straight above the intercooler hose). There was also a decent amount of oil on the bottom of the intercooler inlet hose. I then checked the oil and it was significantly low! I put in a little over a quart of oil for the time being. I do not have any oil leaking on the ground in the driveway. My thoughts are oil is leaking into the turbo and then leaking out of the intercooler hose which is then misting over the left side of the motor. I have seen a couple post of oil in the intercooler line being normal, but it hasn't had this much before. Is this a sign of a pending turbo failure? Bad seals or full replacement?

Also to note, the check engine light is off and on for the EGR valve. I have replaced it 3-4 times during the life of the vehicle and don't plan on replacing it any more based on some of the other posts.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help!

Post subject: Re: Oil Shot up on hood/under intercooler intake hose
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Is your oil cap still where it needs to be?

And yes, the intercooler hoses can pop and cause low power problems. They pop due to oil contamination. The oil comes from the crankcase vent. Although sometimes a failed turbo will also dump oil.

Time to ditch the EGR. Causes too many problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes, the oil cap is still there...

When you say the intercooler hose can pop...do you mean bust/crack or temporarily release at the intercooler connection due to increase pressure?

I did some research a while ago, but is the EGR delete an easy thing to do?

Thanks Flash

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Usually when the turbo lets go enough to leak oil it's a catastrophic failure the pumps all the oil out of the engine in seconds. See my email on how to check the turbo vanes for looseness. From your description it sounds like the turbo to intercooler boost hose may have a pinhole leak. Also could be a tear just in front of the turbo on the bottom of the airbox to turbo hose.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

Check your filter box to turbo hose. You'll have to fully remove it to check it. The ccv dumps right into it and tends to rot out on the bottom side.

Last, delete the darn egr and don't spend another dime on that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

I will check the hose from the filter box as soon as I get home and I plan on doing the Weeks Stage 1.

For the turbo, I am assuming if the turbo is shot and is leaking that much oil, I would not have any more boost or I would hear some whining/grinding since bearings would be shot. Is that an accurate assessment? There is currently no lag and no additional noises. Would it also be a valid assumption that if all the oil is drained out of the engine, it would probably also be leaking on the ground too?

I will give an update when I get home and check the filter box.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:33 pm 
LOST Addict

When you remove the turbo inlet hose, stick your fingers inside and try to wiggle the shaft. There should be almost no movement.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:38 am 
LOST Newbie

I took out the airbox today to check the turbo and the hoses. The intake to turbo hose has a huge crack where the hose clamp sits. I just ordered a new hose to replace the bad hose. I also found the CCV has a lot of oil below it on the top of the motor. When a reach in to the turbo, I don't feel any fore/aft movement, but there is a slight side/side movement.

So here is what I am trying to figure out now:

1. Where did all the oil come from on top of the motor below the CCV?

2. Why was there so much oil vented through the turbo causing it to squirt out the top of the intercooler hose?

3. Since there is a little side/side play, does this mean the turbo is shot or on the verge of destruction?

4. Did #1 happen because the EGR or FCV is broke, causing #2 to happen, leading to #3?

Thanks again for all your help!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:28 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Proper operation of the CCV puck relies on a small amount of vacuum between the turbo and the airbox. Once that hose cracked, there will be no more vacuum, or much less vacuum than should be at that point.

Having taken note of this, it will mean an increase of pressure between the CCV Puck and the crankcase. If your o ring seals are hardened, the crankcase pulses can easily push oil past the seals and into the area that you found it.

Put your new airbox - turbo hose on, put new o ring seals on the puck where it enters the valve cover, that should resolve this portion of your problem.

Oh make sure you have a good air filter. Too much pluggage will cause extra oil to be sucked through the turbo into your CAC and hoses. Hoses are easy to clean. CAC.. not so much, and sludge there greatly reduces cooling efficiency.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:00 am 
LOST Addict

Aerobat52 wrote:
I took out the airbox today to check the turbo and the hoses. The intake to turbo hose has a huge crack where the hose clamp sits. I just ordered a new hose to replace the bad hose. I also found the CCV has a lot of oil below it on the top of the motor. When a reach in to the turbo, I don't feel any fore/aft movement, but there is a slight side/side movement.

So here is what I am trying to figure out now:

1. Where did all the oil come from on top of the motor below the CCV?

2. Why was there so much oil vented through the turbo causing it to squirt out the top of the intercooler hose?

3. Since there is a little side/side play, does this mean the turbo is shot or on the verge of destruction?

4. Did #1 happen because the EGR or FCV is broke, causing #2 to happen, leading to #3?

Thanks again for all your help!

1. Could be a loose hose clamp or your CCV is damaged and needs replacement

2. If anything is squirting out the top of the intercooler hose, you need a new hose. I recommend silicone hoses from IDparts or make you own like I did.

3. I think your turbo is OK for now. Keep checking it periodically to make sure it doesn't get worse.

4. EGR and FCV problems are not related to the CCV or turbo. But when in doubt, delete all the EGR and FCV parts.