It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: the varied price of thermostat replacements
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:30 am 
LOST Member

As WWDiesel points out there is more to it than outlet size. I'm not even going to speculate which path will allow more coolant flow if the OE housing is gutted. Suffice to say, a longer and more torturous path would offer more reistance and would require a larger outlet to compensate just to get equivalent flow.

Despite what anyone around here may claim, the OE solution is the only one that has been designed around a proper analysis of coolant flow through the system.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:36 am 

Ceearedeedriver wrote:
Despite what anyone around here may claim, the OE solution is the only one that has been designed around a proper analysis of coolant flow through the system.

Indisputably true.... :!:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:29 am 
LOST Addict

Ceearedeedriver wrote:
As WWDiesel points out there is more to it than outlet size. I'm not even going to speculate which path will allow more coolant flow if the OE housing is gutted. Suffice to say, a longer and more torturous path would offer more reistance and would require a larger outlet to compensate just to get equivalent flow.

This is a false argument, and is of little help to the discussion. In the context of designing upgrade parts or assemblies, further analysis of coolant flow is ONLY necessary if you are making changes to the design and function of any given cooling system. The H.D.S. Model 001 is functionally the same as the O.E. thermostat assembly, and further laboratory analysis and engineering of the cooling system is therefore unnecessary. Field testing with a prototype? Sure, to make absolutely certain mistakes are not present in the parts themselves. Field testing was most certainly performed extensively when developing the Model 001, and it is why the Model 001 functions so well and is a vast improvement over the O.E. assembly.

What are you trying to say here? That the O.E. thermostat assembly is the only PROPER choice? I think we already know from our own experience as CRD owners that the O.E. thermostat is terrible, for a number of reasons. That is why CRD owners have been trying to upgrade the thermostat assembly for years now. Ceearedeedriver, even you have modified O.E. thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:48 am 
LOST Member

Like heat? Get the HDS 001 and don't look back. If you want an OE, I have a new one I installed and then changed my mind before I ever drove the vehicle. $50, but no gasket. PM me if interested.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:51 pm 
LOST Member

pm sent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:49 pm 
LOST Addict

The good news is that you have options. When I did mine in 2010 (I think) it was OE, or fab something yourself. There was a guy who was working on building something for us, but it was going slowly. I think I paid $110 for the OE unit. Things have come a long way for the CRD guys in the last several years.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:20 am 
LOST Member

follow up to the thermostat saga, replaced the dead thermostat with a new oem. lost a 10 and 12mm socket in the process. may get them back when I drop the skid plate.
new thermostat indicates the temperature to the same place the inline with the 195* stat did and the heater blows hot air just like the 195 did.
in order to get the old gasket off the head I had to use a air 90* grinder with a wire wheel and a razor scraper and it took a while.
one thing I did that helped with putting the three bolts back in was put the bolts thru the housing. then I wrapped Teflon plumbers tape around the threads right up against the thermostat housing. I wound it around until there was enough to keep the bolts from backing out of the housing and ending up on top of the skid plate with the sockets. 2/3 rds of the threads were still exposed. I have never seen Teflon tape hurt anything it was used on and any excess was pushed into the housing.
I didn't quite get enough on the short bolt and it now resides with the sockets. I managed to get it in by using a 1/4" drive with a piece of black electrical tape wrapped around the socket and bolt to hold it in place. I also wrapped some duct tape around the socket and extension knowing once the bolt was screwed in the socket would want stay with the bolt without the duct tape, worked like a charm.
put about 10 miles on the jeep with no leaks and good heat.

"and once more the world was spinning in greased grooves" John Steinbeck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:24 am 
LOST Member

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
This is a false argument, and is of little help to the discussion.

Nonsense, the comment was made in the context of a discussion about the inline option and whether gutting or leaving the OE housing intact is preferred and is indeed relevant to that discussion. I did, however, word it to cover all non OE alternatives since it is factually correct.

Your housing was not part of this conversation but true to form you twisted what I said to interpret it as a direct attack on your product and used this as an excuse to follow up with yet another shameless plug. Shame on you Jeff, shame on you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:05 pm 
LOST Addict

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:11 pm 
LOST Addict

foxhunter wrote:
follow up to the thermostat saga, replaced the dead thermostat with a new oem. lost a 10 and 12mm socket in the process. may get them back when I drop the skid plate.
new thermostat indicates the temperature to the same place the inline with the 195* stat did and the heater blows hot air just like the 195 did.
in order to get the old gasket off the head I had to use a air 90* grinder with a wire wheel and a razor scraper and it took a while.
one thing I did that helped with putting the three bolts back in was put the bolts thru the housing. then I wrapped Teflon plumbers tape around the threads right up against the thermostat housing. I wound it around until there was enough to keep the bolts from backing out of the housing and ending up on top of the skid plate with the sockets. 2/3 rds of the threads were still exposed. I have never seen Teflon tape hurt anything it was used on and any excess was pushed into the housing.
I didn't quite get enough on the short bolt and it now resides with the sockets. I managed to get it in by using a 1/4" drive with a piece of black electrical tape wrapped around the socket and bolt to hold it in place. I also wrapped some duct tape around the socket and extension knowing once the bolt was screwed in the socket would want stay with the bolt without the duct tape, worked like a charm.
put about 10 miles on the jeep with no leaks and good heat.

"and once more the world was spinning in greased grooves" John Steinbeck

The temperature gauge is not scaled linearly and barely moves over the course of like 35 degrees. Basically anything from 176F to 210F and it will sit just left of center.