It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: transmission unresponsive, no fault codes, noises @ idle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:17 pm 
LOST Member

Holy smokes. I just realized that the part number of the TC that came out was in fact the Hemi. That explains why it seemed to handle the torque of my FT eco tune fine with no shudder. I also think i probably didn't need to replace the transmission pump in the end because it may have been the newer version. Now I have no idea if this was done by a dealer for the F37 recall or one of the POs (pre-55k miles, so it lasted 35k+ miles). I also have no idea if the bolt failure is in any way related to the fact it was the hemi??

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:24 pm 
LOST Member

No comments on how my bolts can shear off the TC like that?? Pretty appalling failure. I don't even drive the Jeep very hard or put a lot of pressure on the drivetrain (no towing, etc.).

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:29 pm 
LOST Member

If it already had a Hemi torque converter, the torque converter's obviously been replaced since the Jeep came out of the factory. Maybe the bolts weren't properly torqued, or maybe low quality bolts were used? Just a couple possibilities that come to mind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:37 pm 
LOST Member

joe_ wrote:
If it already had a Hemi torque converter, the torque converter's obviously been replaced since the Jeep came out of the factory. Maybe the bolts weren't properly torqued, or maybe low quality bolts were used? Just a couple possibilities that come to mind.

Good guesses. I would guess possibly over-torqued to the point of becoming compromised or else a bad batch of bolts. Frustrating failure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm 

I always use the RED type locktite on any TC bolts; it makes a difference if you want it to stay put!!! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:07 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
I always use the RED type locktite on any TC bolts; it makes a difference if you want it to stay put!!! :roll:

Yes but that only helps if the head doesn't break off.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:44 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I held back on this at the time but my thought when you posted the pics of the broken bolts is that they don't look at all like a shear failure.

A sheared bolt will look more "smeared" in the direction of the shear, and the edge will be a little curved from the initial point. Also a shorn bolt will have a shear line virtually even with the block it's threaded into, assuming it was tightened enough to have no play. (you would have heard it long before now) (one of your pictures shows as example of this happening, with a bit less than half of the bolt. IMO as it was the only one, it was probably the last one to fail.

Those appear to my experience, to have been fatigued by over-torquing, and separated at the point of the final thread of the mount block. (note the swirl line of failure rather than shear)

As those failed by overstretching, thread-locking compound whether they had it or not wouldn't have made a difference.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:49 pm 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I held back on this at the time but my thought when you posted the pics of the broken bolts is that they don't look at all like a shear failure.

A sheared bolt will look more "smeared" in the direction of the shear, and the edge will be a little curved from the initial point. Also a shorn bolt will have a shear line virtually even with the block it's threaded into, assuming it was tightened enough to have no play. (you would have heard it long before now) (one of your pictures shows as example of this happening, with a bit less than half of the bolt. IMO as it was the only one, it was probably the last one to fail.

Those appear to my experience, to have been fatigued by over-torquing, and separated at the point of the final thread of the mount block. (note the swirl line of failure rather than shear)

As those failed by overstretching, thread-locking compound whether they had it or not wouldn't have made a difference.

I agree, over torqued! :shock:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount