It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: another transgo shift kit question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:51 pm 
LOST Member

As seen in my other threads, my TC is likely out and it is in the shop to get diagnosed and figure out what else might have gone wrong (pump, trans, etc.).

Since the trans is going to be dropped, I'm looking at everything else that is prudent to do while it is out. I'm getting mixed messages about the shift kit and the front pump. I have no idea if I have an upgraded front pump or not, but I'm guessing not since it might be the cause of my failure.

Questions:
- Should I put a transgo kit in if I'm getting a new pump installed anyway? What is the benefit?
- Most of the time I've seen people putting the Transgo in when they're not putting in a new shift pump. Sometimes I've seen both are done.

Any thoughts? Do I do both? Or just one or the other?

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

Post subject: Re: another transgo shift kit question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Never a problem with upgrading the front pump, but the trans go has mixed reviews, at least if you install the whole kit, so I avoid it, but you might seriously consider a new solenoid pack, although it can be changed later without removing the transmission.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:01 pm 
LOST Member

How many miles are on it? I put a shift kit in mine at about 130k and there was quite a lot of wear in at least one of the pistons. So yes, if milage is anywhere near that then would put it in. The pump is a definite YES. I did not replace mine and would if I were to do it over.

Florida HD billet TC [500+flbs torque]
DIY T'stat Mod {Kap's design}
'03 Ram TCM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:09 pm 

At 129k on the Jeep, when replacing the torque converter with a Suncoast TC, my front pump was replaced with a new one and a Transgo kit was installed at the strong recommendation of my very good friend who owns and runs his own transmission repair company.
He stated that the Transgo kit firms up the shifts and helps line pressure to make everything function better...

He had already put one (transgo kit) in my Dodge Cummins several years ago (2000) when installing a Suncoast in it and I can personally attest to the fact that it made the shifts firmer on the Dodge. As to the Jeep, it also seemed to make shifts and lockup a little more firm with less slip... :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:00 pm 
LOST Member

But the question is did he install the new Transgo components into the new oil pump, and that was one of the OP questions and mine now...I think I am going to but I don't want it to cause negative effect since the pump is "new" (rebuilt).