It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trying to figure out what this noise is
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:35 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I"m sorry if I missed it, but I went back and read through this thread complete again, and I didn't see any mention of a lift pump installed. If you have one, then let us know, or If you don't have one, then you should be bleeding and priming the fuel head before every attempt, otherwise your data is likely being corrupted by air in the fuel.

On to the next issue, assuming you have primed and bled every attempt.
You mention that you have a Low Fuel Pressure code.
You also mention that you got fuel from the rail return when you cranked it.
Did you cap the junction fitting that you disconnected? All the return fuel from the FQS will come out there rather than go to the tank if you did not.
If you are sure that fuel is actually coming out the fuel rail return while you are cranking, then the Fuel Pressure Relief Valve at the end of the rail has definitely failed, because it should not allow ANY fuel out until it fires up.
If this is the case, do not buy that valve alone. Flash has pointed you in the right direction, because either the Relief valve has failed OR the pressure sensor is telling the ECM a lower pressure than what actually exists, triggering the low pressure and if the pressure is actually high that could force the Relief Valve off it's seat.
Not knowing for sure which component it is, if you buy the rebuilt rail it comes with BOTH COMPONENTS ALREADY INSTALLED, FOR LESS THAN YOU CAN BUY THE RELIEF VALVE ALONE, and installing the relief valve requires special tools and if you try to improvise it's easy to damage the fuel rail.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Confirmed.
P2294 is a open circuit at the fuel rail pressure control solenoid.

What I did was, unplugged the rail pressure solenoid, turned the key on, and scanned for codes.
Immediadely got a P2294 code.

If you are getting a P2294 code, either:
A. The solenoid is unplugged
B. The connector or wiring harness is broken (perform voltage and continuity checks)
C. The solenoid is burnt out internally (perform resistance checks between the two pins on the solenoid, should be roughly 20-50 ohms)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Back at it today. I pulled codes before doing anything just to see if anything new had showed up. Codes are the same but now I have the p2294 and the p0093. So now its showing the large fuel leak code and the open circuit for the pressure control solenoid. To answer gordons question no I do not have a lift pump installed and I've been priming it regularly at the fuel head. Still no start or even a hint of starting. I cranked it again before making any changes just to see what the rail pressure would build to and it was went up to closer to 400 today and then slowly bled off according to the scanner. So it is building some pressure just not very much. So my question to flash is this: When you say 20-50 ohms do you mean the solenoid on the back of the rail? That's what I tested...which is hard to do. I couldn't see but I put my meter leads in the solenoid and got about 4 ohms which is way off from what you had stated. I want to be certain though before I spend the money on the rail and sensors. Also want to do another cranking test to see if I'm getting fuel out of the rail return line. I did test it yesterday but I was by myself and couldn't watch it while cranking today my wife can crank while I watch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok well having an extra set of hands really makes the difference. While cranking I had fuel coming out of the small line coming off the fuel rail return. So its fairly obvious at this point that the fuel pressure solenoid on rear of the fuel rail has failed for whatever reason. I pulled the whole rail off and ohmed it out again to be certain and it reads 3.7 ohms which is bad according to what flash said. So now I need to get ahold of a new assembly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Irocelectric93 wrote:
ok well having an extra set of hands really makes the difference. While cranking I had fuel coming out of the small line coming off the fuel rail return. So its fairly obvious at this point that the fuel pressure solenoid on rear of the fuel rail has failed for whatever reason. I pulled the whole rail off and ohmed it out again to be certain and it reads 3.7 ohms which is bad according to what flash said. So now I need to get ahold of a new assembly.

So you confirmed that fuel was coming out of the rail and not the return fuel block, correct?

Then it seems that all diagnostic tests have confirmed that the fuel rail solenoid is bad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes sir. Fuel out of the rail itself and not the return bridge.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:11 pm 
LOST Addict

If you are replacing the fuel pressure relief valve at the rear of the rail, The re-manufactured rail assembly that Flash linked last page is the way to go.
Some information you might want to know.
You can get them from many places but no one actually stocks them.
No matter who you buy through there is a 1-2 week lead time
No matter who you buy through there is a $300 core charge until they get yours back to the re-manufacturer.
No matter who you buy through they are all rebuilt by the same people in the same facility.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Flash, you must have a different program than I do.
This is what I get when I do what you did
P1142-FUEL PRESSURE SOLENOID OPEN CIRCUIT

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:37 pm 
LOST Addict

That said, yours is correct with the FSM
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2006-KJ-SM.pdf#x09%19mod%19xx343
pages 9-1252 through 9-1256

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Rail and whatnot ordered. So once i get it in ill report back hopefully with a running jeep.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

So since Oregon fuel injection couldn't get me a rail I got a known working one from a member here. Still same issue. So I'm still getting fuel out of the fuel rail nipple when cranking. Pressure builds to about 600 but won't build over that. It bleeds off watching the scanner. Sometimes it bleeds off fast sometimes and other times slow. I tested the CPS just in case and it ohms out good from what I can tell. I'm still getting a p2294 code. In fact I cleared all codes then plugged the scanner back in and that code came back immidiately after not even trying to start. I checked for voltage at the connector for the solenoid and it was 12volts to ground on one and 3.8 on the other. During cranking the voltage dropped some but nothing crazy. Really unsure of which way to go here. I still get a p0093 code if I try and start it. Really aggravated right now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

im not sure if ecm commanding fuel pressure solenoid to open up to release pressure or if it is miscommunications between pressure sensors ? anyhow try disconnect 4 clips and return line from injectors , set it on the side , somehow you need to find summating to cap each injector port (RAILSIDE) old fuel line cap other end. you need to find out where you are losing pressure ? so hydraulic test 1st then electrical is 2nd .CP3 pump is the last suspect. bosch techs have equipment (GAUGES) to hook up between pump and the rail so we don't.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well fuel is coming out of the rail return nipple when cranking which from what I'm told tells me the solenoid at the rear of the rail is bad. However I've tried a known good one and same results. I'm not saying I don't need to test the injectors but I'm just not sure how I would.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

well if this is two stroke detroit diesel i would know where pressure is escaping LOL no joke i don't know why both pressure regulator solenoids realizing fuel back out of return port when cranking? as for injectors test will cost you 35 $ each . again it is puzzling why solenoid letting fuel out of the rail .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:46 pm 
LOST Addict

If the rail pressure solenoid gets no voltage, it cannot hold pressure.
Either your replacement solenoid is bad or you have a intermittent open circuit in the harness connector.

The harness connector is cheap and is the same as the injector connector. Which is also the same as a Duramax injector connector.
It a lot easier to find Duramax parts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:37 pm 
LOST Addict

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HBXZ3NM/ref=pd_aw_sbs_263_2/152-9637709-1966302?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JYYQV9N88WAB3MYKD7AM&dpPl=1&dpID=61k-ZTc9UEL

I went through a similar problem with my FQS.
Everything tested good but when I wiggled the connector just right I'd get 0 volts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well flash you were right. It was the connector. Got it running again. I did a pin test and it came in good but it got me thinking that what if the connectors inside the connector body are worn out or not getting a good connection...so I made a couple test connectors boom got it to start right away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That connector is the same connector that I had problems with on 2 separate CRD's. on my 2006 and 2005 model years.

The wires are shaken loose by the diesel chatter.

After the repair I taped the wires and bolted down the "Y" shaped plastic wire trough to minimise wire harness movement.

Diesel chatter/rattle will always be there constantly shaking the wiring harnesses. This shaking will cause the small-gage wires to snap close to their connectors.

As our vehicle ages more wire snaps are bound to occur, tape everything down and minimise the movement of loose wire harnesses.