Post subject: Front differential interchange
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:53 am 
LOST Newbie

So guys, I just popped my front diff. :banghead:

Bang
Scrunch
Wheeee
#smell of hypoid oil#

Haven't pulled the skids yet, but called a couple of wreckers just to see, and one guy is telling me that his diff is 2x the other's price because 06 and 07 kj diffs are different from other years? I called :furious: since I have never heard this before. Any truth that I missed before I keep looking?

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited, CRD: Inferno Red. OME 2" lift, JBA 4.5 lift arms, Factory skids and tow hooks added. GDE ECOtune, Provent, Fumoto, AR TorqueThrust wheels
1999 Dodge Dakota Sport, 5.2L: Solar Yellow. SOLD

Post subject: Re: Front differential interchange
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't know about the front differential because I couldn't look inside, but the rear is different.

I have a 2005 sport and 2006 limited CRD, and when opened the rear diff to change the oil I noticed that they were different. The 2006 CRD had larger and thicker gears.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I don't know how accurate this is, but I've been told that Pre-2006 were available with limited slip differentials, where 2006+ were only available with open differentials. I don't know if parts are interchangeable.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:24 pm 
LOST Addict

tregrrr wrote:
So guys, I just popped my front diff. :banghead:

Bang
Scrunch
Wheeee
#smell of hypoid oil#

Haven't pulled the skids yet, but called a couple of wreckers just to see, and one guy is telling me that his diff is 2x the other's price because 06 and 07 kj diffs are different from other years? I called :furious: since I have never heard this before. Any truth that I missed before I keep looking?

That's not right, because 05 and 06 CRD front difs are the same. But I have no idea about 07

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:27 pm 
LOST Addict

AFAIK, all 02-07 Jeep Liberty KJs use the same aluminum front differential case.
And all of them are open diffs.
The only differences are gearing.
Some 4cy gasser models have 4:10 gears.
All the V6 gassers and CRDs have 3:73 gears.
Some of the V6 manual trans KJs have a different gear set.

The 4cyl models, both diesel and gas, use different mounts and CV axles.

06-07 rear axles use a open diff because they have the traction control system and ABS sensors at each wheel.

Most 02-05 models have a limited slip in the rear diff (no traction control) and a single ABS sensor over the diff.

The aluminum front case is a Dana 30a.
Most common Dana 30 parts will fit, except for the ring and pinion. The pinion shaft is longer and a standard Dana 30 set will not fit.
AFAIK, the only source for a Dana 30a ring and pinion is from Mopar. $$$

Last edited by flash7210 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I don't know how accurate this is, but I've been told that Pre-2006 were available with limited slip differentials, where 2006+ were only available with open differentials. I don't know if parts are interchangeable.

Wouldn't that LSD be in the Corporate rear?

I'm am thinking about putting a torsen or truetrac helical gear LSD in the front.....

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited, CRD: Inferno Red. OME 2" lift, JBA 4.5 lift arms, Factory skids and tow hooks added. GDE ECOtune, Provent, Fumoto, AR TorqueThrust wheels

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:01 pm 
LOST Addict

tregrrr wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

Wouldn't that LSD be in the Corporate rear?

I'm am thinking about putting a torsen or truetrac helical gear LSD in the front.....

Rear only yes, I'm not sure on the year. I'm thinking of changing my front trutrac to an Eaton e-locker as theyaren't much more $ and the truetrac drives me nuts, I never know if it's really doing its job. But that's on ice and deep snow...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:17 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
AFAIK, all 02-07 Jeep Liberty KJs use the same aluminum front differential case.
And all of them are open diffs.
The only differences are gearing.
Some 4cy gasser models have 4:10 gears.
All the V6 gassers and CRDs have 3:73 gears.
Some of the V6 manual trans KJs have a different gear set.

The 4cyl models, both diesel and gas, use different mounts and CV axles.

06-07 rear axles use a open diff because they have the traction control system and ABS sensors at each wheel.

Most 02-05 models have a limited slip in the rear diff (no traction control) and a single ABS sensor over the diff.

The aluminum front case is a Dana 30a.
Most common Dana 30 parts will fit, except for the ring and pinion. The pinion shaft is longer and a standard Dana 30 set will not fit.
AFAIK, the only source for a Dana 30a ring and pinion is from Mopar. $$$

I'm guessing that just like the trutrac, the Eaton-E locker can use the factory ring and pinion? There's no need to replace the ring and pinion because they have almost no wear unless they were neglected

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mountainman wrote:
........Snip.......the truetrac drives me nuts, I never know if it's really doing its job. But that's on ice and deep snow...

We need a parking brake in the front end too so we can power over them without, say, popping the diff :roll: not that I have ever done this. Again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:31 pm 
LOST Addict

tregrrr wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
........Snip.......the truetrac drives me nuts, I never know if it's really doing its job. But that's on ice and deep snow...

We need a parking brake in the front end too so we can power over them without, say, popping the diff :roll: not that I have ever done this. Again.

Yeah lol, I wonder if the locker will be harder on the front dif than the truetrac? I know if you let a tire spin much and it gets traction all of the sudden, boom goes the aluminum housing...

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mountainman wrote:
tregrrr wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Yeah lol, I wonder if the locker will be harder on the front dif than the truetrac? I know if you let a tire spin much and it gets traction all of the sudden, boom goes the aluminum housing...

Having the DTT or a selectable locker up front will actually help save the front diff when you raise 1 front wheel offroad.There is a technique to make the DTT work better and that alone will keep the D30a alive even without having a DTT installed.

I can't understand how you someone couldn't like the DTT,it's awesome in the front of a KJ,a total point and shoot type of driving in snow/ice.I know I had one installed in the front of my KJ for years and I wheel my KJ harder then most and not once broke a front diff.You don't need to "power through/up" most obstacles that most everyone breaks the diffs on.