It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestion with loose oil pan plug - pre Fumoto install
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys, so I went in to do an oil change earlier and they couldn't get the plug out it just spins around and stays there. See for yourself in video below.

Mechanics don't want to mess around with re-threading an oil pan so I have to install a Fumoto myself.
Only thing I'm wondering is how to best remove the current plug to make sure I don't damage the threads further.

I ordered two Fumotos, a 107 and a 102 in case the thread in the pan is not too bad and I don't have to rethread, that's why I'm hoping to get your suggestions on how to remove the plug so I can salvage the pan thread if possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ywr2z6ujtki01s/IMG_6499b.mp4

Post subject: Re: Suggestion with loose oil pan plug - pre Fumoto install
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:12 am 
LOST Addict

Can you pry it with a pry bar or a screwdriver? If there isn't space between bolt and pan to do that, I'd make a small cut (about 1/8 inch) on the bolt head, as close to the oil pan as possible and use that cut to insert a pry bar and pry it out while you use a wrench to untie it.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for your reply. The small cut you suggest doing, you mean on the side of the bolt head, acting as sort of insert for pry bar or screwdriver so I can get a better grip on the bolt? If so, I'm limited with the tools I have here. Home I would use cut off tool, here hacksaw?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Brody wrote:
Thanks for your reply. The small cut you suggest doing, you mean on the side of the bolt head, acting as sort of insert for pry bar or screwdriver so I can get a better grip on the bolt? If so, I'm limited with the tools I have here. Home I would use cut off tool, here hacksaw?

Yeah, that's what he's saying, but that will be tough going with a hacksaw I'm afraid. So the plug turns in place? If so, the threads are toast, and you'll have to tap up to the next size Fumoto, sorry man. It's a lame design...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Since you don't have a cut off wheel, what about a dremel? I would first try to lock some vise grips on there REALLY tight, and pull down and twist at the same time. I've got a lot of bolts out over the years that other people couldn't with vise grips

Edit: then again, there probably isn't anything to grab on to with the vise grips, I can't remember

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:33 pm 
LOST Member

I had the same issue once (although probably not quite as loose/free spinning as yours). I ended up using a pair of vice grips to lock onto the bolt so I could pull down hard on the bolt as I was turning it and it grabbed the threads and came out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Yea, vise grips are a good idea, if you can rotate the bolt. And may be easier, worse case you can score some from home Depot if you don't have any with you.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

All right I'll try vise grips and let you know (I'll also try to get a cut off wheel from someone around here in case). I need to wait until I receive the Fumotos though. Probably won't be able to do this until this Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:15 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Have your buddy hang from the Vice-Grips while you spin him around.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:09 am 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Have your buddy hang from the Vice-Grips while you spin him around.

Lol. Or get 4 more strong buddies to spin the jeep while the first keeps the plug in place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ha ! ;)

Amazon sent me the wrong valve, so it will be a few days before the correct one and I can do this. Hopefully Wednesday.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:03 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I can relate on the shipping issues.

I just bought 2 items from Amazon from different vendors.

Package 1 shipped from Pennsylvania on the same day package 2 shipped from Texas. Both shipped USPS, and have roughly the same distance to travel.
Both arrived at the shipping hub in Portland Oregon on Saturday AM, 5 hours from where I am. I expected them to arrive by at least Tuesday morning, and Hoped that they might arrive Monday morning.
Well Monday mail came and went with no packages, so I checked tracking again.
Package 2, the one I may not actually need, it appears is at the post office in town now, and should arrive tomorrow.
Package 1, the one I am actually for sure needing, has. for some unknown reason, been shipped to Van Nuys CA, and is at least 2 days away, possibly 3.
Hrmph.

Well here's hoping that once you get your valve, the old plug will come out with minimal problem.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:55 am 
LOST Member

With the drain straight down I didn't want a fumoto. I bought 14x1.25 drain plug. Thread repair kit from
Autozone for sparkplugs with a selection of 3 different length solid inserts. Used the shortest insert and out perm at ex #2 on outside thread when putting in. Size so close no drilling only ran tap in threads.