It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overcharging - no regulation - BCM or Alternator or what?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:52 am 
LOST Newbie

2005 Jeep using a 2006 wiring diagram. So lets assume its a 2006...
per earlier post, a wiring fault caused by chafing from the alternator bracket grounded out the Br/Dg and Br/Pk wires and caused the fuse 16 to blow.
upon repairing and running the car the alternator overcharged.
Alternator checks out as if it doesn't have a voltage regulator (or that it has on it has blown). It hit 15.7V on a test rig at O'reillys.

Can anyone tell me whether this alternator has a voltage regulator inside or how to tell if it does (given that if it does have one it has blown)?

The other option is the output stage of the BCM regulation circuit is blown, in which case I need a new one - any suggestions for a realistically priced solution?

Am I missing any other options for overcharging?

Many thanks
Beardy

Post subject: Re: Overcharging - no regulation - BCM or Alternator or what
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:32 am 
LOST Addict

If you have a CRD 2.8L diesel engine, the volatage regulator is on the back of the alternator, behind a plastic cover.

There should be only two wires on your alternator.
A large gauge power cable.
And a single small gauge wire connected to the regulator.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:57 am 
LOST Addict

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:25 pm 

FYI in case anyone needs it!
Voltage Regulator Part No. is: IN317

Simply Google "Voltage Regulator IN317" :google:

Two locations:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/in317- ... lator.aspx
or
eBay:> http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Alternator- ... FC&vxp=mtr
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:12 pm 
LOST Addict

This is very important, do you have a 2005 or a 2006? The voltage regulation is controlled differently between them.

The 2005 has a FCM, or Front Control Module, also known as the "gateway" that is a communications gateway on the CANBUS to the ECU. The Gateway controls the excitor field to the generator. I'm not quite sure what the physical component of the voltage regulator does inside the alternator in relation the field control.

In the 2006 the BCM handles all the things that the FCM used to do, the FCM is removed for the 2006 MY.

I'd check the wiring between the alternator plug and the gen field control(be it FCM or BCM per your application) and make sure nothing is open or grounded. You could also consider tossing in a new lifetime warranty alternator.

I'm not sure what sort of signal the gen field control works on to check that it is getting the right signal. I would assume a variable voltage for the excitor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well that's very curious Sir Sam.

I had a lot of problems at the beginning of this saga in determining the correct wiring diagram. It appears to be a 2005 but uses a 2006 wiring scheme. It does have a BCM and an FCM. Fuse box print out and all the wiring colors seems to be consistent with the 2006 diagram.
When the wiring loom chafed on the alternator bracket the br/pk went to ground and the fuse 16 failed.
The br/dg also chafed at the same time and after going to ground, took out the regulator. It does have a regulator in the alternator and it looks like the pictures posted above. It was a blown regulator and it now seems to be fine (new alternator and new battery), and doesn't go higher than about 14.4V.

many, many thanks for all on this forum for the help.
Beardy

PS> Anyone want to buy a CRD dark green, cloth interior, weeks kit (new alternator, battery), <60k miles, no rust, located southern WA.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Beardy wrote:
Well that's very curious Sir Sam.

I had a lot of problems at the beginning of this saga in determining the correct wiring diagram. It appears to be a 2005 but uses a 2006 wiring scheme. It does have a BCM and an FCM. Fuse box print out and all the wiring colors seems to be consistent with the 2006 diagram.
When the wiring loom chafed on the alternator bracket the br/pk went to ground and the fuse 16 failed.
The br/dg also chafed at the same time and after going to ground, took out the regulator. It does have a regulator in the alternator and it looks like the pictures posted above. It was a blown regulator and it now seems to be fine (new alternator and new battery), and doesn't go higher than about 14.4V.

many, many thanks for all on this forum for the help.
Beardy

PS> Anyone want to buy a CRD dark green, cloth interior, weeks kit (new alternator, battery), <60k miles, no rust, located southern WA.

Wiring schemes are very similiar, but unless your vehicle has had some major funkyness with parts swapping you should have the 05 Body harness which means you have a FCM.

FYI the engine harness between the 05 and 06 is the same PN, only difference is a revision between them. So engine and harness and interchangable between 05 and 06, however the 06 CAN architecture is different with the previously mentioned BCM changes.