It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil not recommended? by Mobil?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:32 am 
LOST Member

I was on the Mobil 1 website, typed in 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel 2.8 L , to see what oil they recommended. This is what i got:

"Find the right oil

2005 Jeep Liberty Order results by

Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-40 or 5W-40 viscosity and oil that meets Chrysler MS-10725. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications.

The data for the “Find the right oil” tool is updated monthly. Vehicle manufacturer specifications are derived from Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA) and MOTOR Information Systems (MIS) databases. Product results are based on ExxonMobil Research and Engineering recommendations.

Please consult your vehicle manufacturer's manual for information specific to your vehicle."

------------------

so all along i've been using the M1 TDT 5W40 diesel oil, on the advice of IDPARTS.....

bad idea?

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

Post subject: Re: Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil not recommended? by Mobil?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:08 am 
LOST Addict

Keep using mobile 1 TDT 5w40. Its good oil.

You can also use Rotella T6 5w40.
Or Delo 400 5w40.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:09 am 
LOST Member

Just curious why Mobil would not recommend TDT .....do they only go by MFG specs?

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:51 am 
LOST Addict

Bushman5 wrote:
Just curious why Mobil would not recommend TDT .....do they only go by MFG specs?

Correct, they don't want to recommend an oil, then if you have an issue caused by oil, you can sue them. This is why they don't recommend any oil for the crd.

For example, I got a ram EcoDiesel in fall of 2015. Chrysler recommended pennzoil euro L oil in 5w30. Last year the specs changed and now you can officially use Rotella t6 in 5w40, which GDE used since a year before. If I go on Mobil 1 site to "find the right oil" I get Mobil delvac 1 esp 5w40 for the truck. When I got the truck in 2015, they recommended Mobil 1 esp in 5w30, which meets Chrysler ms-11106 specs (that the EcoDiesel requires) unlike the delvac 1 esp, which doesn't but it's now recommended for the truck... Go figure...

As flash said, tdt oil is great, I also used it. Rotella t6 is also great, it's a tiny bit more fluid at cold than Mobil 1 tdt, but not by a lot. You can usually find better deals for t6 than for tdt, Walmart has periodic mail in rebates for t6. Also, Amazon has good deals.

Theoretically with a gde tune you can use almost any synthetic diesel oil, I'd personally choose a good brand that has decent costs. There are folks using 15w40 non synthetic diesel oil in their crds, I wouldn't recommend it though, for few more bucks you can have a good oil and peace of mind in the cold.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:06 pm 

Bushman5 wrote:

Mobil 1 0W-40 IS NOT AN API DIESEL RATED OIL!!!!!

See this Web page for API Oil Ratings:> http://www.api.org/products-and-service ... categories

It it has NO diesel API ratings! It does not have diesel CJ or CI ratings...

Mobil 1 0W-40 oil is rated: API SN, SM, SL, SJ
(all are GASOLINE engine oil Ratings!)

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Oil is rated: API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4/ SM, SL, SJ
CJ, CI, & CH are all DIESEL engine oil API ratings!

Why in the world Mopar ever recommended a non API diesel rated spec oil for a turbo-diesel engine w/EGR system is ludicrous!

But if you need to know, this is the Mopar Specification that superseded it:
Keep in mind, this spec oil was listed for several Mopar GASOLINE engines!
Part No. - 68171066GA
0W-40 MOPAR® ENGINE OIL, synthetic MS-SPEC: MS-12633
Specifically formulated for the needs of Chrysler SRT engines where MS-12633 is required. It may also be used in SRT engines originally recommending Chrysler MS-10725
They no longer list the MS-10725 Spec on their "Mopar International - Lubricant and Chemical Cross Reference Chart"
It is an obsolete Specification!

A little more insight as to why Mobil 1 may not list the MS-10725 specification anymore:
May have been withdrawn due to a clause in their contract?
Apparently M1 0w-40 used to carry that spec in the US in the past, but no longer list it.

From another forum:
I do not believe this was Fiat's doing given that it still meets 3 Fiat specs. It has been mentioned this change took effect during Daimler's ownership.
This is possibly the result of a Non-compete clause that Chrysler placed into Mobil's Factory Fill contract.
Something along the lines of...In return for us extending exclusive use of your product in our vehicles, you agree, after termination of this agreement, to forfeit the marketing
and/or approval of this specification, so that it can be exclusively extended to a subsequent party for X amount of years.

:roll: :shock: :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
Bushman5 wrote:

Mobil 1 0W-40 IS NOT AN API DIESEL RATED OIL!!!!!

I don't have the knowledge or desire to debate anyone about oil...however Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula is rated 229.5 which is recommended by Mercedes for their T1n Sprinters and is widely used by Sprinter owners. My oil change intervals on the Sprinter are 10,000 miles and I have about 250,000 miles on mine.

I use Rotella T6 5W-40 in my Jeep CRD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Wwdiesel, the Mobil 1 0w40 is not "certified" by api, but it meets the api cf ratings, according to the manufacturer.

Pretty much Mobil 1 didn't bother to pay the api certification for cf rating for this 0w40. Again, this is not to say Mobil 1 0w40 is the best oil for crd, but it is acceptable.

Below is for Mobil 1 5w40 tdt oil:

Oh, by the way, Mercedes has been using Mobil 1 since a very long time, it is very likely that Chrysler recommend Mobil 1 0w40 because it was the only one available at the time crd was first launched in USA. I'm not sure if tdt was available at that time. If it was, then I'd say they should have recommended it instead.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:03 pm 

thermorex wrote:
Wwdiesel, the Mobil 1 0w40 is not "certified" by api, but it meets the api cf ratings, according to the manufacturer.

Just curious as to how you figure this when they do not list the CF rating on the Mobile 1 web site for that oil's specifications?

Specifications and approvals
Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

Use what you wish; I simply would never run or recommend a API non-diesel rated oil in my diesels or anyone else's diesel period!
The ratings are engineering developed standards and are rated as such for a reason!

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel and several others including Rotella T6 all are good diesel oils with the correct API ratings...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:38 pm 
LOST Member

Awesome info from all. Thanks

Going to keep on keeping on with Mobil1 5w40 TDT.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:42 pm 

Bushman5 wrote:

A Good Choice Sir based on the facts!!!! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:40 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Bushman5 wrote:

A Good Choice Sir based on the facts!!!! :wink:

What about Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5-30W

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:46 am 
LOST Member

either or, i have used Delvac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:57 am 
LOST Member

how do you all feel about Schaffers Oil

Supreme 9000™ Full Synthetic 5W-40
Formulated for diesel engines
Improves engine durability and fuel economy.
Superior cold cranking and oil pumpability at low temperatures.
Friction modified with Micron Moly® and Penetro® to protected against wear.
Keeps engines exceptionally clean and free from oil residue, sludge, and carbon buildup.
Withstands higher heat range (up to 300°) than conventional oils.
MEETS AND EXCEEDS: API Service Classification CJ-4, CI-4/SN, CI-4 PLUS. Exceeds Ford; GM; Chrysler; most foreign OEM specs; CAT ECF-1-A, ECF-2, ECF-3; CUMMINS CES 20081; Detroit Diesel Power Guard 93K218; MACK EO-O Premium Plus-07; MAN 271, 3275-1, and 3575; Mercedes-Benz 228.31; Navistar; Volvo VDS-4; ACEA E7-12, ACEA E9-12; Global Specification DHD-1; JASO DH-1 and DH-2.

seems reasonably priced for a full saps oil

http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/244-9000-td.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bushman, it looks good on paper.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:07 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
thermorex wrote:

Just curious as to how you figure this when they do not list the CF rating on the Mobile 1 web site for that oil's specifications?

First image I posted for the 0w40, the following phrase:

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is of the following quality:

API CF 

VW 503 01

API CF is not a certification though for this 0w40, but the manufacturer states it meets the quality standard for api cf. This means that the manufacturer did not pay api (American Petroleum Institute) to certify the oil, but supposedly the oil meets the api cf quality standard.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:56 am 

thermorex wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
thermorex wrote:

API CF 
VW 503 01
API CF is not a certification though for this 0w40, but the manufacturer states it meets the quality standard for api cf. This means that the manufacturer did not pay api (American Petroleum Institute) to certify the oil, but supposedly the oil meets the api cf quality standard.

Sorry, to me their statement of: is of the following quality is a huge difference than: meets or exceeds the requirements of!
If the oil meets the standard, why did they just not publish that fact!
I personally do believe it MEETS the standard or they would have said that! It is a high quality oil no doubt, but not a diesel RATED oil!!!!
I know we are picking on words or phrases here, but words are very important and have meanings and must be interpreted as such.
Again, if you like it, fine, use it, it's just not for me and I would never run it in any diesel engine I own! Great oil for gassers, just not diesels with their soot loading....

These are their statements straight from their Web page!
"Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of: "
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

"According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is of the following quality:
API CF
VW 503 01"

moving on.... :arrow:
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:10 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
thermorex wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
[quote="thermorex"]Wwdiesel, the Mobil 1 0w40 is not "certified" by api, but it meets the api cf ratings, according to the manufacturer.

API CF 
VW 503 01

Sorry, to me their statement of: is of the following quality is a huge difference than: meets or exceeds the requirements of!
If the oil meets the standard, why did they just not publish that fact!
I personally do believe it MEETS the standard or they would have said that! It is a high quality oil no doubt, but not a diesel RATED oil!!!!
I know we are picking on words or phrases here, but words are very important and have meanings and must be interpreted as such.
Again, if you like it, fine, use it, it's just not for me and I would never run it in any diesel engine I own! Great oil for gassers, just not diesels with their soot loading....

These are their statements straight from their Web page!
"Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of: "
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

"According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is of the following quality:
API CF
VW 503 01"

moving on.... :arrow:
:SOMBRERO:[/quote]

Right, let's move on since I'm sure neither you or I want to make a big deal out of this. I just wanted to state that Mobil 1 0w40 is a decent oil choice for the crd, also diesel cf rated (but not api certified), even if not the best diesel oil available for the crd. Having an api certification involves paperwork and money. For Mobil 1 0w40, ExxonMobil didn't see fit to pursue any api diesel certifications. Maybe because they didn't want to compete with other diesel oils they had, maybe they didn't want to waste money and resources for an oil that wouldn't be heavily used in a diesel, who knows and let's be honest, who cares?

I am not a Mobil 1 fan, I use whatever brand name oil is good and on sale, while it also ensures good quality. And each person should research thoroughly what oil should they use, the only aspect I didn't personally agreed with is the fact you stated that the 0w40 is not a diesel oil, where according to both Chrysler and ExxonMobil, it is an api "not certified" cf rated oil. I hope you didn't mind me clarifying and proving my point with the facts from the original website.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:00 pm 
LOST Member

I believe we need to remember that this is a European diesel spec'd out by Daimler. They use European specs for oil. The Mobil 1 0W40 European Car Formula meets the following.

ACEA A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of Low Viscosity Oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the Engine Manufacturer.

ACEA A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

To read more - http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:32 pm 
LOST Addict

joelukex4 wrote:
I believe we need to remember that this is a European diesel spec'd out by Daimler. They use European specs for oil. The Mobil 1 0W40 European Car Formula meets the following.

ACEA A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of Low Viscosity Oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the Engine Manufacturer.

ACEA A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

To read more - http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

That's a valid point that I missed while making the argument.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:09 pm 

We all have opinions and interpretations of the available information!!!
To each his own; I simply would never recommend Mobil 1 0W-40 oil to be used in any diesel engine when there are so many better diesel rated oils available for the user.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch