It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trans rebuild options/ upgrades
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well my crd is starting to burn trans fluid and has been shifting funny( TC is shuttering too), so before it does blow the trans id like to start gathering parts.

Who's got the best rebuild kit for these??

Gonna get the suncoast TC

front pump upgrade? part #??

vavle body? has some kinda shift kit in it already. went to put on a transgo kit only to find it had different pistons in it already. 2-3 shift flares up bad.

Other thoughts and inputs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Trans rebuild options/ upgrades
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would do the same thing that other members have done.

I would search the used parts yards and procure a low mileage used transmission from 2002 -2008 heavy duty Ram 1500 HEMI and retain the heavy duty HEMI torque converter and pump it came with undisturbed, then change the filters and fluid and drive it.

This has been going on for a few years now and I have not heard of complaints.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:18 pm 
LOST Member

Not just the RAM has a Hemi. My trans is out of a '07 Durango that had the 5.7. I think there are a couple other options as well. You will have to change the transfer case and it's adapter but all else should be the same if it's a 54RFE. The interchange charts usually say they won't work....but they will.

Since you have the GDE tune, the stock Hemi TC should be good. For reference, I paid less than $500 for mine delivered and it had about 80k on it. Installed it myself but a local garage offered to do it for $250.

Florida HD billet TC [500+flbs torque]
DIY T'stat Mod {Kap's design}
'03 Ram TCM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah, I'm about tired of our crap transmissions. My daily driver has transmission with 120k miles, immaculate fluid/maintenance, new hemi TC, upgraded pump, and not it shifts HARD 2-3, and it sounds like the buzzing solenoid pack is the culprit, but I won't know until I replace it, and then there's still a spring and piston that could be bad, oh, and it still shudders :banghead:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well i will search for a hemi trans around me, sounds like a better option. Will the hemi tc hold to a hot tune? doing the electric fuel, timing belt and head studs at the same time as the trans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:45 pm 
LOST Addict

dieseljoe93 wrote:
Well i will search for a hemi trans around me, sounds like a better option. Will the hemi tc hold to a hot tune? doing the electric fuel, timing belt and head studs at the same time as the trans

Yup, the hemi has much higher output

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:22 pm 
LOST Member

racertracer wrote:

I would search the used parts yards and procure a low mileage used transmission from 2002 -2008 heavy duty Ram 1500 HEMI and retain the heavy duty HEMI torque converter and pump it came with undisturbed, then change the filters and fluid and drive it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's such a thins as a "heavy duty" Ram 15oo transmission or a "heavy duty" Hemi torque converter.

I think all 545rfe are the same isnt't it ?

I have a 07 Ram 1500 Hemi transmission with the TC. I'm preparing it right now to get ready to put in my Jeep. I will send the front pump to a buddy who work in trans. to check it and put a new TC lock up valve in and then I will install a Transgo shift kit .

Hopefully everything goes smooth !!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:55 am 
LOST Member

PZKW108 wrote:
racertracer wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's such a thins as a "heavy duty" Ram 15oo transmission or a "heavy duty" Hemi torque converter.

I think all 545rfe are the same isnt't it ?

I have a 07 Ram 1500 Hemi transmission with the TC. I'm preparing it right now to get ready to put in my Jeep. I will send the front pump to a buddy who work in trans. to check it and put a new TC lock up valve in and then I will install a Transgo shift kit .

Hopefully everything goes smooth !!

You are correct, A "HEMI" is the 5.7L and a 545RFE and TC on a HEMI are all the same. There was some variation in the valve body/plug after '08 the best I remember. Should not take much searching here to find the answer.

Florida HD billet TC [500+flbs torque]
DIY T'stat Mod {Kap's design}
'03 Ram TCM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:18 am 
LOST Addict

Internally, all 545rfe transmissions are the same. Although I think the later versions (65rfe?) had a different solenoid pack.
The main differences are the torque converter (Hemi engine and non-Hemi) and tail shaft housing (2wd vs. 4wd).

Heck, even the earlier 45rfe is the same as the 545rfe. Only difference there is in the TCM programming. The 45rfe is programmed as a 4 speed but has all the same gears and clutches as a 545rfe.

If you are looking for transmission parts, go here:
http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/45rfe545rfe65rfe66rfe.aspx