It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Garret Turbo out ... new Sasquatch Turbo in!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:30 pm 
LOST Member

While I was waiting for my injectors to be shipped back to me, I decided to pull the old Garret Turbo and put in the new Sasquatch Turbo (https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/products/jeep-liberty-crd-replacement-turbocharger-with-billet-compressor-wheel/), and the Installation Kit (https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/products/jeep-liberty-crd-turbocharger-installation-kit/).

It took me a little while to make room, and pre-spray the penetrating-oil, but it worked out just fine.

Here is the clearing process:
I pulled out the Air-Intake box, the Coolant fill tank, the CAC hose, my Provent 200 & hoses, the CCV & hoses, etc.

Old Garrett Turbo still bolted inplace:

I was then able to get the heat-shield off, the Oil Feed hard line off the old Garrett Turbo, the Oil Return Flex-Hardline off, and the support bracket without too much problem (other than cramped space and having to get under the car for a few bolts/nuts. I pulled out the old Garrett Turbo and compared it to the new Sasquatch Turbo, side by side:

Old Garrett Turbo outside of the engine:

Old Garrett Turbo next to the new Sasquatch Turbo:

New Sasquatch Turbo & installation kit ready to go in!

New Sasquatch Turbo bolted in:

I carefully tightened everything down, put all the lines and pipes back in, and reinstalled all the parts I removed.
After I got my injectors back, I installed them, bled the air out of the hardline for the injectors, and got the rig going!

I took it for a testdrive, and it sounded like a newly turbo-powered KJ diesel. The Turbo sounds amazing and is extremely responsive. It has more pep and power, and zings like a new vehicle.

The only thing that made me worry was the buttery congealed substance on the inside of my CCV puck, and inside the Provent lid and Provent body. I'll start a new post for that concern (http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=86273) since it might be a trouble shooting post that is unrelated to the new Turbo install.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

Last edited by Infinite_Karma on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Old Garret Turbo out ... new Sasquatch Turbo in!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
The only thing that made me worry was the buttery congealed substance on the inside of my CCV puck...

That congealed substance is what happens when oil mixes with water.
In your other post, you mentioned white smoke at startup.
Those two symptoms indicate a blown head gasket or cracked head.

I recommend pressure testing the cooling system to 16psi. Then, after a 30 min wait, check for pressure drop.
Next, pull all 4 glow plugs and unplug all 4 injectors. Crank the engine and look for water shooting out of the glow plug holes.

Now, about the turbo...
Anything wrong with the old one? What do you plan to do with the old one?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:01 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks flash,

I did worry about the same thing, and I did pressure test it about 6 months ago, but it didn't show any contamination in the chemical reagent when I rested it then, and the pressure held constant.

Also, there was no white / gray smoke at start up after it sat for 5 days, after the new injectors and new turbo in place. This morning as well, no white or gray smoke after start up and it had been sitting all night, so it was cold.

I'll do the pressure test / contamination test again tonight just to make sure things haven't changed.

Sarma.

PS: I wasn't planning on doing anything with the old Garrett yet. Maybe I will keep it as a back up or sell it. Did you want it?

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:51 pm 
LOST Addict

The same crap comes out of my F150 catch can. If i let the stuff settle in a cup it will separate into layers of water, fuel, and then a beige waxy substance in the middle.

good to hear feedback on the new turbo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Good job with turbo. Did you compare the radial play of the impaler from new turbo and old? When I tried to replace mine, when I saw the play is about the same as the new Garrett, I dropped it...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

Post subject: Old Garret Turbo out ... new Sasquatch Turbo in!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:21 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
The same crap comes out of my F150 catch can. If i let the stuff settle in a cup it will separate into layers of water, fuel, and then a beige waxy substance in the middle.

good to hear feedback on the new turbo.

How long do you drive in minutes till the engine cools of? I don't have the issues you and sarma have, but I mainly drive the truck on highway for hours and the jeep is in garage out of the cold. I wonder if the sludge is because the engine doesn't warm up fully and enough to evaporate that mess.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:24 am 
LOST Member

I typically drive about 30 minutes (to my kids-school and work) every weekday morning, and the same at 5pm. The engine and system gets up to peak operating temperature within 5-10 minutes of that drive, so I'd say 20 minutes of driving at peak operating temperature for my Jeep, once in the morning and once in the evening.

I checked the coolant reservoir for engine exhaust contaminants (used the blue fluid plunger tube tester) and I then pressure tested the coolant reservoir and it held for 16llbs (for over an hour without moving).

I am thinking that I don't have a head gasket leak.

Still need to figure out what that yellow creamy substance is in the CCV and Provent.

The mysteries continue!