It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Provent 200 + 100% Biodiesel = buttery grease in CCV?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:46 pm 
LOST Member

Howdy folks,

I recently replaced my old Garrett Turbo with a new Sasquatch Turbo, and when I was removing my Provent 200 & CCV with hoses, I found some interesting yellow (almost looks like butter) congealed greasy substance perspired all throughout:

The first thing I noticed was when I opened up the lid to my Provent 200, and saw the yellow droplets of congealed grease sticking to the top of the lid:
I was shocked and worried that I might be getting water into my oil somehow. I do run (B100 100% Biodiesel) in the rig sometimes, and this last tank full was all 100% Biodiesel, so maybe since Biodiesel is yellow, it is just the oily drops of vented Biodiesel, but that wouldn't make much sense for the CCV outline to have that would it?

Here is the look inside the Provent 200 body, and you can see similar colored droplets:

Here is the CCV puck, showing a significant amount of congealed yellow greasy substance inside:

Here is where the CCV puck seats to the top of the engine, the return hole:

What do you all think? Is this normal? Given the %100 Biodiesel ... or not?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Sarma.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

Last edited by Infinite_Karma on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Provent 200 + 100% Biodiesel = buttery grease in CCV?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:54 pm 
LOST Addict

I've never seen yellow before.
Various shades of gray but never yellow.

I dont think its because of biodiesel. Because if it is, your injectors are spraying waaay too much and contaminating the oil.

Posted this in your turbo thread
Quote:
That congealed substance is what happens when oil mixes with water.
In your other post, you mentioned white smoke at startup.
Those two symptoms indicate a blown head gasket or cracked head.

I recommend pressure testing the cooling system to 16psi. Then, after a 30 min wait, check for pressure drop.
Next, pull all 4 glow plugs and unplug all 4 injectors. Crank the engine and look for water shooting out of the glow plug holes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:01 pm 

Could be another indicator of way to much moisture getting into lubrication system!
Seen this on gas engines before when a head gasket was leaking and getting coolant into the oil. :roll:

Also, is your engine getting all the way up to normal operating temperature?

Posted this on your injector thread:
WWDiesel wrote:
White smoke at startup can also be an indicator of a small coolant leak into the combustion chamber. Could be a head gasket or small crack in head! :roll:
With a small leak, this usually only happens after vehicle has set overnight or for a long period of time after the engine has been operating at normal temperature and then shut down.

Have you seen any loss of coolant in the coolant reservoir which is another indicator.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:09 pm 
LOST Member

I did worry about the same thing, and I did pressure test it about 6 months ago, but it didn't show any contamination in the chemical reagent when I tested it then, and the pressure held constant.

Also, there was no white / gray smoke now at start up, even after it sat for 5 days, after the new injectors and new turbo in place. This morning as well, no white or gray smoke after start up and it had been sitting all night, so it was cold.

I'll do the pressure test / contamination test again tonight just to make sure things haven't changed.

I'll also check the coolant levels. I did have to add more coolant about 2 months ago, and I wondered what that was all about.

The vehicle definitely gets up to normal operating condition, with my Model 001 Thermostat it stays at midline pointing strait up always.

Now I'm worried about a slow head gasket leak ... hmmmmmmmmm (how tough is that process)?

Sarma.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:00 pm 
LOST Member

So the family and I are loaded up and traveling about an hour and a half away from home for a road trip and sure enough, the check engine light comes on and I notice we were down about 1/4 of a tank, and it was full when we left. That is way to much fuel use for that distance... P0093 FUEL PRESSURE MALFUNCTION POSITIVE PRESSURE DEVIATION. P1090... Not sure what that one means.. Injectors stuck open?

Towing to a place close by and wondering that to do now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

my advice , get a chip daily driver vehicle , bring jeep home and take this VM think a part , before it is too late , and rebuild it back to be better then it came out from factory and then take it out on the trip with your family .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:35 pm 
LOST Addict

P0093 is going to be difficult to diagnose.
Could be rail pressure sensor, fuel quantity solenoid, injectors, fuel supply, or wiring.

I read your spec sheet from the injector testing.
They are only slightly out of spec.
I dont think its a injector problem, but I could be wrong.

Like I said, gonna be difficult to diagnose.
Start with the low pressure side. Verify that the fuel filter and lift pump are good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

again my old school idea is , it is chipper to re and re and inspect this lovely VM MOTORS when they give you warning signs early , why ignore it we all see what happened when they blow up it gets too expensive . so stop on time before in gets to late .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:57 am 
LOST Newbie

I know this is not the fuel side of things but it looks like glycerin from unwashed biodiesel.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:56 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
X2
That's where I've seen it before, but I"m not sure if that's the only thing that causes it.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:28 am 
LOST Member

UPDATE:

I didn't take the time to detail this in my last post but when the CELs popped up this last time (during the start to our family vacation road trip), there were no symptoms prior to the CELs. No loss of power, no white or gray smoke out the pipe or in the engine bay, no dripping liquid anywhere inside the engine bay or underneath the chassis. I did have the AC going the whole way during the 1 & 1/2 hour start to our drive, and lots of uphills, but I can't imagine the fuel use was that much to use a 1/4 tank of diesel.

I was perplexed, and that is why I think it must be something more simple (like a sensor error or plug not perfectly seated).

So! After we dropped off the rental car, I got back to the jeep and re-tightened all the hardline highpressure fuel lines to the injectors (since the recent work I did was clean and test the injectors at a shop and put them back in). I checked the oil dip stick (no overfull or discoloration). I checked inside the oil cap and it looks clean and good. I pulled the CCV off again, and that yellow buttery substance was gone. I then made sure that all the electric plugs and wires to the injectors were on clean and clear, and then I cleared all the codes. I drove it home for 1 & 1/2 hours without any CELs popping up and there were no irregularities in the power, engine idle, and no smoke/or fuel odor. It performed perfectly. Maybe I just had a lead foot and thought the fuel consumption was way too much, but with the CELs popping up prior, it freaked me out and so I erred on the side of caution.

Wen I got home, I checked the oil again, and it seemed fine, but to make sure I changed it out and put a new filter on it. I am going to put a new Fuel Filter on it tomorrow, and I am going to lay off the full tanks of B100 Biodiesel for a little while to see if the Provent clears up that weird yellow butter.

I'm hopeful everything will be okay and I'll keep y'all updated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:21 pm 
LOST Member

are you doing short trips in winter? could be the engine not really warming up properly. I run a cold front all fall, winter and well into late spring. No short trips. (i've seen lots of goo like yours on vehicles that only see short trips. )

try an oil change, then run it hard, see what if any goo you get. Then try a tank or two of B100 and see what if any goo you get.

(off topic, at least once a year my neighbor gets me to fix her poor running hatchback from the 80's era......she drives exactly 1/2 KM to the bingo hall and back every day. That thing NEVER warms up. So once a year i gladly take her $100 bucks and do nothing but rip it down the freeway for 150KM's at 110KM/H full throttle. I get that car hot. Get home, drop the oil and filter and put in 0W20 synthetic and a new filter. LOL)

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:16 am 
LOST Member

I live in Santa Cruz CA, and the winters here are not cold at all.

I typically drive about 30 minutes (to my kids-school and work) every weekday morning, and the same at 5pm 5 days a week. The engine and system gets up to peak operating temperature within 5-10 minutes of that drive, so I'd say 20 minutes of driving at peak operating temperature for my Jeep, once in the morning and once in the evening. It is definitely warmed up for the majority of that back and forth drive.

I checked the coolant reservoir for engine exhaust contaminants (used the blue fluid plunger tube tester) and I then pressure tested the coolant reservoir and it held for 16llbs (for over an hour without moving).

I am thinking that I don't have a head gasket leak, and the injectors aren't that out of whack to be over dumping fuel into the oil, where it showed up in the CCV or Provent. I'm not sure how it happened.

I did change the Oil and the filter, and there was nothing wrong with the oil. I checked inside the oil cap and it looks clean and good. I pulled the CCV off again, and that yellow buttery substance was gone. I then made sure that all the electric plugs and wires to the injectors were on clean and clear, and then I drove it a lot since this observation without any CELs popping up and there were no irregularities in the power, engine idle, and no smoke/or fuel odor. It performed perfectly.

Strange.