It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tensioner ARGH!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

So the old tensioner was surely toast. Went to put the new one in and it won't torque. Looks like the bracket is stripped out. The old bolt is longer than the new. Is it possible to pick up those rear threads without replacing the bracket or am I screwed and need to drop the PS pump and replace the bracket that would be 5 days out?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Last edited by 1stepp on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tensioner ARGH!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

1stepp wrote:
So the old tensioner was surely toast. Went to put the new one in and it won't torque. Looks like the bracket is stripped out. The old bolt is short than the new. Is it possible to pick up those rear threads without replacing the bracket or am I screwed and need to drop the PS pump and replace the bracket that would be 5 days out?

And some picsImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

1stepp wrote:
So the old tensioner was surely toast. Went to put the new one in and it won't torque. Looks like the bracket is stripped out. The old bolt is short than the new. Is it possible to pick up those rear threads without replacing the bracket or am I screwed and need to drop the PS pump and replace the bracket that would be 5 days out?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

1stepp wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok. I got the bracket out. Cleaned the remaining threads and ran the bolt from the backside with a bit of luthium grease. I was able to torque to 35 ft lbs in 5 ft lb increments. So the question, should I trust it?ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:01 pm 
LOST Member

Since you have it down, I'd use a solid insert like this: https://www.fastenal.com/products/detai ... 0~|sattr02:^M12-1.75$|~

they are much better than a heli-coil and require no special tools...just off the shelf drill bit and tap.

Florida HD billet TC [500+flbs torque]
DIY T'stat Mod {Kap's design}
'03 Ram TCM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:03 pm 
LOST Member

I'm not sure it's a M12....just a guess.

Florida HD billet TC [500+flbs torque]
DIY T'stat Mod {Kap's design}
'03 Ram TCM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:45 am 
LOST Member

I would not trust it. You have already witnessed what happens when you only use half the available threads. Use a repair insert like wilco mentioned. I think NAPA has them too.

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:23 am 

I am not a big fan of inserts, they can and will come out when removing the bolt during disassembly. They also require a much larger drilled & tapped hole (more invasive) to install versus a *Heli-coil repair. After working on various aluminum engines for many years and installing many threaded inserts of all kinds, I learned the hard way that inserts will not always stay in place as designed! I became a huge fan of Heli-coils! Once installed properly, they will stay in place forever unless some idiot over-torques the bolt or stud, and if that is the case, nothing will survive!
Heli-coils are available at FASTENAL, NAPA, and many other places along with some hardware stores and come in many different threads both metric and standard and also come in different lengths.
If a Heli-coil is too long, it is very simple to cut any excess threads off as opposed to trying to cut a threaded insert off to make it shorter.

If you must insist on using a threaded insert, at a minimum, use one of the brands like KEYSERTS that have the key locking tabs that will hopefully hold the insert in place. GRAINGER, FASTENAL, and some others sale them!

*A helicoil is much stronger than the original thread metal since it is a special stainless steel spiral spring thread material, it will stand up to repeated assembly/dis-assembly and is less likely to have any dissimilar metal corrosion fastener seizure issues like inserts can.
Some manufactures install Heli-coils in threaded holes at the time of manufacture to increase wear resistance and add thread strength.
Some full scale aircraft companies install Heli-Coils in aluminum at the factory to prevent later maintenance problems.
NASA uses helicoils as well to minimize wear from continual reassembly according to some of their whitepapers.

In the end, make your own choice, try and make the best one.... :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

Not to mention Heli-coils come in right and left hand threads...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16