It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kid with gremlin p0299 again…
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sorry for asking so much recently, I don’t want to do this too. But the day after I thought I fixed my turbo issues by replacing a broken vac tube the p0299 came back >:( albeit this time my car was actually very much driveable and smoked more than normal but a LOT less than before that was until I encountered my first steep hill in which the CRD was slower than a yugo up hill. I replaced the rest of my vac lines today and all seemed fine anyways. I’m bringing it to a more affordable Cummins shop to get the vac modulator and vac regulator tested. Is this the next thing I should do?

update on the parts I’ve dumped
Sasquatch turbo
Mishimoto hoses
eBay egr delete
Silicone vac lines
Oem turbo install kit
New 5v plugs(if they matter)

'05 kj CRD Limited 160k on body 85k on engine, 2.5" lift, JBA arms, OME springs, Bilstein 5100 front, skyjacker blackmax rear, Spider spacers, toyo a/t 245 75s, all suspension and steering components new, sasquatch turbo, EGR delete, 5v bosch plugs, @Libby.PDX on Instagram!

Post subject: Re: Kid with gremlin p0299 again…
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Oh yeah another question one guy said there was a mechanic on the forum located in kenewick Washington. Anyone or maybe himself wanna chime in and give me contact info or a business name? Much appreciated!

'05 kj CRD Limited 160k on body 85k on engine, 2.5" lift, JBA arms, OME springs, Bilstein 5100 front, skyjacker blackmax rear, Spider spacers, toyo a/t 245 75s, all suspension and steering components new, sasquatch turbo, EGR delete, 5v bosch plugs, @Libby.PDX on Instagram!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:52 am 
LOST Addict

I would check that one of your mishimotos hasn't popped off. Since you were doing some work in that area, I mean. Once my intercooler hose popped off the engine inlet on the driver side. At a glance it looked like it was on, but it was just resting against the mouth of the aluminum inlet tube and any boost pressure at all would lift it away and lose all boost. So yea, black smoke and no power.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Update: I did the vaccum bypass test every says to do and the car drove the same. Made a hissing sound from the vaccum modulator when it was unplugged

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:23 pm 

If you performed the bypass test correctly, there should be no ports left unconnected on the modulator valve to make any noise unless there is something wrong with the valve. If the modulator valve is making a hissing sound with both hoses connected, then I would suspect the modulator valve is bad.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did exactly as you pictured, I just replaced the vacuum modulator and filter with a used one from offer up, there was a guy parting out an engine somewhat nearby… same p0299 after putting it on… at least it was only $30. I’m on my own again cause the shop don’t want to touch my car. Last resort is to bring it to the shop I got my electrical work done but thatd cost near $1000 to figure it out according to the advisor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think I fixed my issue… I will right a post in 3 days if it stays that way I think others may make the same mistake I did. Long story there are 2 short vac tubes that are easily accessible and are two different sizes on each side. Basically I put the larger size on both and I guess vacuum was leaking out of the connecting points. Will have pictures if this is the issue. Fixed by putting the old ones back on

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:53 pm 

mr.jerryfluffy wrote:
I think I fixed my issue… I will right a post in 3 days if it stays that way I think others may make the same mistake I did. Long story there are 2 short vac tubes that are easily accessible and are two different sizes on each side. Basically I put the larger size on both and I guess vacuum was leaking out of the connecting points. Will have pictures if this is the issue. Fixed by putting the old ones back on

Yes, you have got to definitely use the correct size vacuum hose, there are two different sizes used on this engine. 3mm & 5mm, and the big one 3/8" from the engine over to the vacuum brake booster where the small supply line connects going to the turbo controller and HVAC inside the dash.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:30 am 
LOST Member

mr.jerryfluffy wrote:
Oh yeah another question one guy said there was a mechanic on the forum located in kenewick Washington. Anyone or maybe himself wanna chime in and give me contact info or a business name? Much appreciated!

His forum handle is: My66Dodge

Redline automotive 509-946-6558… I own 8 kJ crd’s currently…

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Update: I still get a pending p0299 car drives pretty much normal with no smoke though. I’m gonna replace the vaccum modulator, solenoid and the big rectangle thing that doesn’t usually break. Found a couple guys on eBay selling the whole assmbly with all of them including the filter for $30 if that doesn’t work I’m going to bring it to the guy in kenewick. Thanks for the help again guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:55 pm 
LOST Member

I also am getting a P0299 code with intermittent P0110 & P0105 codes. I pulled the CAC hoses and will replace. I checked the turbo wheel and it spins freely with little movement. I checked the turbo vane actuator and it barely moves 1/4 inch. I will perform the bypass test tomorrow. I am going replace the MAP sensor also.

Jerryfluffy - let me know if you solve your issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

joelukex4 wrote:
I also am getting a P0299 code with intermittent P0110 & P0105 codes. I pulled the CAC hoses and will replace. I checked the turbo wheel and it spins freely with little movement. I checked the turbo vane actuator and it barely moves 1/4 inch. I will perform the bypass test tomorrow. I am going replace the MAP sensor also.

I have not fixed my issue yet but your issue may be the Mercedes sensor that’s located next to the maf sensor. I left mine unplugged once and got the same codes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

mr.jerryfluffy wrote:
joelukex4 wrote:

I have not fixed my issue yet but your issue may be the Mercedes sensor that’s located next to the maf sensor. I left mine unplugged once and got the same codes.

Sir, did you resolved the issue? I have the same problem has you. I suspect it is an electrical thing because sometimes the boost cure by itself...and then after a while it return with low boost and p0299.