It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electrical is screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not sure whats up with my 05' CRD. My wire harness for my aftermarket radio has constant power, I installed it months ago and it just recently started doing this. When I power off my jeep the radio still has power and my dome ligths and odometer stay on. Once I lock it everything shuts off like normal UNLESS I hit the brake pedal, then it all flashes back on and glitches out. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Electrical is screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:13 pm 
LOST Member

Start with grounds.

CRD techs have diagnosed and solved electrical gremlins by "refurbishing" existing grounds.

Learning from Geordi's diagnostic work, I elected to do a preventative ground improvement. It may or may not help with your problems, but it is a KNOWN problem-spot for electrical gremlins ( I also re-routed several grounds directly to the neg battery term). To view pics and procedure, go to the LAST PICS on page 1 of my bloated(4-page), multi-topic thread titled:
" Notes from Cylinder Head R&R "

Remember, you hurt nothing by ADDING NEW GROUNDS, including routing and "ganging" fresh ground-wire(s) directly to the battery's negatIve term.

If grounding doesn't cure your gremlins, you may have some frayed wiring at the firewall through-hole located on the upper-left of the (US) driver's floor, behind and above the fuse-block and wire-loom on the lower-left side.
Particularly if there's been much yanking on the stereo wiring, it's conceivable that either the stereo-wiring and/or other adjacent wiring may have chafed against the edge of the firewall-hole and frayed, causing either inter-wire shorting and/or grounding issues. No, it is not fun accessing that through-hole; hopefully you have small-hands, some small bright flashlights, and above all patience.
Remember that your cell-camera is an excellent tool for evaluating anything in tight spaces, essentially replacing our old "mechanic's mirror". With the added benefit that you can analyze the pics from a barcalounger instead of a contortionist holodeck program.

There are some excellent techs here with far more CRD experience than myself; surely they will chime-in to help you pound-out a solution.

Good luck.

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.