It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Just bought Jeep, I think the rockers just failed!
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:57 pm 

Or one of these:
10pc Diesel Injector Seat Cutter Set
https://www.amazon.com/Diesel-Injector- ... B00P2SU168

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Before you go cutting the injector wells up... Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE that the bolts didn't somehow get mixed up? The 4 bolts for the injector clamps are SHORTER than the bolts that hold the valve cover down. There are three different lengths of bolt that thread into the head, and if the injector clamp bolts get swapped, then it will SEEM like you have the right bolt, the clamp may even be snug and not rattle and you may have gotten the right torque reading... BUT you are actually torquing against the bottom of the hole and not the crush washer.

Yes this has happened to me, and it was confounding until I figured it out. The clamp bolts are about 3/8" shorter than the longer bolts.

I have not had to "cut" any of the injector wells on any CRD I have worked on.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:06 pm 
LOST Member

I drilled a hole in a bit extension on my drill press then inserted a Dremel cone brush and welded the base. It worked perfect. To clean out the residue left after brushing I took a thin welding filler rod and attached cotton balls to it. I used the cotton balls to swipe the area clean. It was nice and shiny clean aluminum down there. I coated the the crush washers with copper gasket spray and torqued em down good. No more injector leak. :pepper: Yay!

During the finishing of the repair/upgrade I installed an air pre-heater from a Duramax diesel (LLY). It bolts up great if you reuse the stock elbow. The length of the stock Liberty elbow + grid heater + the LLY flange is just right. It was a bear stretching the Mishimoto hose over the elbow but a little silicone grease helped a lot It is about 0.25 inches bigger than the hose but works great. I read about the grid heater on a post here somewhere. I don't think it was detailed and became the thread where Weeks made his preheater. You have to gut out the electronics and it should pull about 100 amps and heat the air nicely on those extra cold days. If anyone want to do this install don't reuse the metal gasket from the Duramax install. The boost leak was so loud it was hilarious. The metal gasket worked like a reed and it sounded like my Jeep was a black rider from Lord of the Rings. Go to your auto parts store and pick up some gasket material and cut your own. I used a little red silicone on the gasket to make sure it sealed well and it did. I have not hooked up the lead yet to try it out. I intend to use a momentary button and a starter solenoid switch.

ALSO, I INSTALLED BOTH OPTIMA YELLOW TOP BATTERIES UNDER THE HOOD TODAY (one big one small). Yes, I really did. If you take the battery tray out and flip the fuse box back to the other side (closer to the cab) it all works out. I need to make a new bracket to hold the fuse box but all the wires reach just fine. No visible rub or pinches could be found. I used some wood to space out a base. I had a bunch of rubber that I used to make dampers and rub cushion. They are only just sitting in there now but I will need to do a proper install in the future. There is a stinking ratchet strap holding them down now. I will provide some details in a separate post when I work that out.

900 CCA PLUS 830 CCA = 1,730 AVAILABLE CCA. :frankie: Plus they have a nice reserve for camping and such. I can really take on winter with confidence now.

I need to figure out how to post pictures now.

I took the mechanical fan off and haven't had any issues yet. What does the electric fan up front do, it came on a couple of times. The AC wasn't on and the temp wasn't high.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9