It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intake Noise
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed a strange pulsing noise. It appears to be coming from the intake hose intercooler area; the noise isn't there when I first start it up only when it is idling after driving for awhile. The noise just sounds like air pulsing; If I squeeze the intake side tube; the pitch of the noise changes and pretty much goes away.

Other info:

1. My OBD2 blue tooth is broken so I haven't scanned it...will order a new one soon.
2. I have the the MAF disconnected and has been disconnected for very long time.
3. I have the FCV disconnected and it was disconnected for a year because the FCV failed with codes.
4. Noise did not happen with a change in performance.
5. I do not have an oil catch can or mod so oil has been running through the intake. (dumb I know...just never got around to it)
6. Jeep has almost 230,000 miles.
7. Intake hoses are in good condition
8. The last time I checked boost pressure about 4 months ago; all seemed good, but the turbo has 230,000 miles and I am not sure the cat is in very good condition either.
9. I just drove it on a long trip through the mountains last weekend and I got almost 28mpg so the fuel economy is still good.

Post subject: Re: Intake Noise
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:37 pm 
LOST Member

My first thought is turbo ready to fail. My red CRD made a strange sound for about 6 months before the turbo failed. The oil is thicker when cold and the sound would get louder as the oil warmed and thinned.

I put a reman turbo in that one and it has been fine since then. It runs better than any of my other CRD's (it has the InMotion hot tune).

I took that blown turbo apart and put a $169 repair kit into it. I have it in my Limited, but have not put many miles on it yet to tell you if it will hold up.

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jay ne Ohio wrote:
My first thought is turbo ready to fail. My red CRD made a strange sound for about 6 months before the turbo failed. The oil is thicker when cold and the sound would get louder as the oil warmed and thinned.

I put a reman turbo in that one and it has been fine since then. It runs better than any of my other CRD's (it has the InMotion hot tune).

I took that blown turbo apart and put a $169 repair kit into it. I have it in my Limited, but have not put many miles on it yet to tell you if it will hold up.

I am pretty suspect of the turbo as well. I forgot to mention this important point too. For the past 8 months, I've noticed what is kind of like an exhaust brake. When going down some of the steep mountain passes from my house, it accelerated a little but now seems to hold steady and in some instances slow down. I kind of thought maybe my cat was starting to get a little contaminated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Its possible the turbo could be exhaust braking a little too if something is not right with it. I've written a tune to do this by closing up the turbo vanes during 0 throttle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:28 pm 
LOST Addict

MED wrote:
Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed a strange pulsing noise. It appears to be coming from the intake hose intercooler area; the noise isn't there when I first start it up only when it is idling after driving for awhile. The noise just sounds like air pulsing; If I squeeze the intake side tube; the pitch of the noise changes and pretty much goes away.

Other info:

1. My OBD2 blue tooth is broken so I haven't scanned it...will order a new one soon.
2. I have the the MAF disconnected and has been disconnected for very long time.
3. I have the FCV disconnected and it was disconnected for a year because the FCV failed with codes.
4. Noise did not happen with a change in performance.
5. I do not have an oil catch can or mod so oil has been running through the intake. (dumb I know...just never got around to it)
6. Jeep has almost 230,000 miles.
7. Intake hoses are in good condition
8. The last time I checked boost pressure about 4 months ago; all seemed good, but the turbo has 230,000 miles and I am not sure the cat is in very good condition either.
9. I just drove it on a long trip through the mountains last weekend and I got almost 28mpg so the fuel economy is still good.

Remove the turbo inlet hose and check for tears.
Stick your fingers into the turbo and try to wiggle the shaft. See if it spins freely.
Also check for codes when you get a chance.

If the turbo is infact doing some sort of engine braking, that would indicate a problen with the vanes, turbo vacuum actuator, or vacuum solenoids.