It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fan Clutch Options
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:02 am 
LOST Member

Hey all,

I've had overheating problems again after replacing my stock clutch with a Hayden 2905 clutch about a year ago. Having replaced it so recently, I figured I had to have something else going wrong (since the new clutch had improved the overheating problem when I replaced it I was looking at having the radiator checked for flow, or maybe checking my transmission for excessive heat being produced, or some other reason the jeep suddenly wasn't behaving). Slowly, the overheating had been coming back until last week I couldn't go up a sustained incline at the speed limit of 55 for 3 miles without having to pull over to cool off, run the heater, or drive in 2nd gear. I decided to do the rolled up newspaper test (with a thin phone book rolled up) and could get the fan to stop with the same amount of pressure whether the engine was super hot or not. Looks like my new Hayden clutch didn't even last a year! Looking back on it, it improved the overheating, but didn't solve the problem and I had always assumed I had another problem in addition to the clutch. In re-researching the other fan/clutch options out there, I found a Hayden document that lists specifications for various fan clutch models.

I was looking at the GM Fan and Clutch, since I remembered reading that it was supposed to be cheaper...but in looking online today, I find that fan clutches are pretty much all the same price (seems like all can be had for around $50). So unless you want to change out the fan blade (more $$), there's no reason to change clutches that I can see. I haven't found specs for how many CFM each fan blade design can push...I also haven't looked up the part numbers for all the various fan blades people have used.

That being said, our stock clutch is a Hayden 2905, but the specifications for the 2775 seem to match except for it's overall length being .27" longer (which shouldn't matter in our application as we have a couple inches to spare between the fan and the radiator) and there are other options that are longer yet and would put the fan blades closer to the radiator (like the GM clutch which has different fan holes/threading so you can't reuse the existing fan blade).

The greatly longer options (like the GM fan/clutch combo) make me nervous though, since our engines have a way of going through motor mounts and I don't know how much sagging mounts could deflect the fan toward the radiator out at the ends of the blades.

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/Hayden ... clutch.pdf

Thoughts anyone?

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

Post subject: Re: Fan Clutch Options
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:29 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
One observation I made when switching to the GM 11 blade plastic unit, is the fan weight is around 50% or a little less than the steel 4 blade, and it seems to pull a little more air, but I have no way to measure it. All else being equal, I'm expecting the clutch to last longer.

The GM setup is still new on my rig but there are others that have been using it for a while. Perhaps they can inform us both on how it's worked for them.

I will be back with the Jeep in a week or so. I may have a new Hayden clutch for the original fan there still. Will check when I get there.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 am 
LOST Addict

A new Hayden fan caused me to overheat and likely helped my head to crack. I installed one on another jeep about six months ago and the customer is reporting that it's overheating in Colorado at 60 degrees on a grade :banghead:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 am 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
A new Hayden fan caused me to overheat and likely helped my head to crack. I installed one on another jeep about six months ago and the customer is reporting that it's overheating in Colorado at 60 degrees on a grade :banghead:

THIS! Same issue, overheating on longer grades here in Utah even down to 40 degrees. I bought a Hayden in August because I was having overheat issues and thought the OE clutch may be dead, and it didnt fix it. I thought maybe it was something else(clogged radiator, bad water pump, etc) so I kept digging and digging but was still having issues after doing everything I could think of. A few weeks ago I decided to do the fixed flex fan mod(fan is direct driven by the pulley, no clutch) and pulled the hayden out. I decided to test it in the oven and it never locked up. It was 6 months old, but I honestly dont think it ever worked.

its only slightly enraging because I pulled my radiator to check for clogs, changed my timing belt early to get a new water pump in, flushed the coolant system a couple of times. . . . I feel like had the hayden worked this all could have been avoided.

The flex fan is a monster and so far I have only gone 1 degree over the thermostat temp climbing I 80 out of salt lake city.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:38 pm 

Had the GM clutch/11 blade fan setup on mine for over two years now; absolutely no overheating issues even in the very high 100+ degree, high humidity days here in the south.
It certainly did make a difference in stop and go town driving as to helping the AC cool much better even with the electric fan running on high all the time.
What I do like about it is being able to run a much heavier duty V8 fan clutch designed for towing using the GM setup....

As to the 11 blade contacting any stationary parts, it is just not going to happen unless something comes completely apart and allows a huge about of motor movement. :wink:

Note: the 11 blade GM fan is the same size as the Mopar gasser fan, but it does set just a tiny bit closer to the radiator.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:35 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks everyone! Just out of curiosity, I reread the description on the Amazon listing for my Hayden 2905 clutch. They have a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty. Amazon is sending me a new clutch for free with a prepaid return shipping label.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:03 pm 
LOST Addict

JieselDeep wrote:
Thanks everyone! Just out of curiosity, I reread the description on the Amazon listing for my Hayden 2905 clutch. They have a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty. Amazon is sending me a new clutch for free with a prepaid return shipping label.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I guess you could use it and when it overheats again youll know what the problem is. They seem to be really messed up based on the responses in this post.