It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No trailer tow running lights
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:59 am 
LOST Newbie

On my 2005 Liberty diesel, I have left and right turn signals and brake lights, but no running lights or 12V battery at the towing plug. I found 4 wires disconnected behind the right rear panel, two red, 1 red with a blue tracer and 1 grey with a red tracer. One of the red wires and the red with a blue tracer wire are always hot. I have checked all the relays and fuses in the 2 boxes and all is good. Why don't I have any trailer running lights and how do I reconnect the 4 wires in question? Image

Last edited by LeadvilleLarry on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: No trailer tow running lights
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:17 am 

LeadvilleLarry wrote:
On my 2005 Liberty diesel, I have left and right turn signals and brake lights, but no running lights or 12V battery at the towing plug. I found 4 wires disconnected behind the right rear panel, two red, 1 red with a blue tracer and 1 grey with a red tracer. One of the red wires and the red with a blue tracer wire are always hot. I have checked all the relays and fuses in the 2 boxes and all is good. Why don't I have any trailer running lights and how do I reconnect the 4 wires in question?
[http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/leadvillelarry/media/P1016569_zps2zcnn8an.jpg.html]

Your picture link is not working!
Put address between [img]Image%20web%20address[/img]
or simply copy the IMG block in Photobucket and paste.

The factory service manual with wiring diagrams are located here:> http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

See the 2005 manual:
2005JeepKJServiceManual.pdf
See section 8W

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:14 pm 
LOST Member

LeadvilleLarry,
Do you have a 4 wire plug, (flat ) or a 7 wire plug (round)?
What is the difference? The 7 wire plug has, in addition to R/L turn, STOP, and running rear light, a wire for electric brake relay, another for 12v power, and another for backup lights. The 7 wire plug, requires an additional wiring harness from the right rear fender hole to the front , under dash and to the fuse box in the engine compartment. Take a look to the wiring diagrams 8W-54-1 through 6, and 8W-51-4.
I do not own a trailer, but had rented several from different shops throughout the continent. Always was blaming the trailer wiring for not having running lights, until I discovered that I have left the red wire to the fuse box in the engine compartment disconnected.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

You may have hit the nail on the head. The red wire was left disconnected to the battery. I assume that the previous owner thought the wire unnecessary since he didn't require a hot wire at the connector. I will connect it tomorrow and see if I get tail lights. I have a 7 pin RV style plug. The wiring harness was apparently an OEM Jeep part that was owner installed on to the Liberty and not a factory installed plug. The wire colors are different from the FSM. The 4 loose wires may be those that were disconnected when the trailer wiring harness was installed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:09 am 
LOST Member

I got the towing package (towing bar, rear wiring harness for seven pins, adapter from seven to four pins, the removable tow hitch with the ball, and the front wiring harness) from the dealer when I bought the Jeep. I installed myself. The parts salesman alerted me to the second (front) wiring harness, the one from the rear right hand pocket to the front, running through the inside of the door sills. Unfortunately I do not find the wiring diagram that came with it. Best luck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Experience is the best teacher! Thanks Sergio. I now have running lights, turn signals and brake lights for my trailer. That power wire going to the battery is essential. I will take it out tomorrow to see how the diesel pulls my teardrop trailer. I am sure that the less than 1000# teardrop will be easy until we hit Vail Pass at 10,662' on I-70. I hope that is where the turbo diesel will shine and I may actually pass someone who is going too slow. Thanks again.