It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transfer Case?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

When driving my crd today started hearing a funny noise coming from what sounded like the tranny area only when I would let off the throttle. I pulled off the hiway and was going up and down a few hills and finally one time when I let off the throttle I heard and felt a loud clunk. After that the jeep would not move at all. Tried 4wd still nothing but was able to put it in 4low and limp it to work. Would I be correct in assuming the transfer case went out on me? If so how hard of a project to replace them and anyone know how much one would run? Any help is appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: Transfer Case?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:19 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Talk about timing... This *JUST* happened to me in nearly exactly the same way, about 45 minutes ago. 4-Lo is the only thing where I have movement, high range is just gone. No park either.

My suspicion is that the whole thing does need to be replaced, at least that will be the easiest move.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:37 am 
LOST Addict

I can beat the eBay prices if you end up needing one, and I know it works perfectly.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:35 am 

Unless something on the case is broken; transfer cases are fully rebuildable, they are simply a manual gearbox with a collection of bearings, gears, shift fork, synchronizers, and a chain along with a few seals... :wink:
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/tra ... 242-parts/
(chain is purchased separately)

The 242 comes in 21 spline and 23 spline versions with long, medium (rare) and short variations.
The 242 is possibly the simplest of all the Jeep transfer cases to rebuild. Their assembly is intuitive, and parts are easily available and affordable.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:58 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
For me - I will worry about rebuilding it after I get it replaced. Found a boneyard not too far from where I am that has one, $150. Can't beat that.

Dunno what happened to this one yet, but that will be an adventure for another day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:45 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
For me - I will worry about rebuilding it after I get it replaced. Found a boneyard not too far from where I am that has one, $150. Can't beat that.

Dunno what happened to this one yet, but that will be an adventure for another day.

Yeah, that's cheap. They should last forever if rarely used and maintained

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:21 pm 
LOST Addict

And yet.... 135k miles on this CRD (and presumably the transmission and transfer case) and conservatively 99% of that is in 2WD high range 1:1 pass-through... and yet while decelerating after nothing-unusual happening... The high range is now just gone. As it was dying there was a little bit of making noise and a couple of jolts as I was working through the positions trying to figure out what happened, but within 2-3 miles of the initial failure, it was gone. No input while in any high range mode, makes it through the case and it might as well be in neutral if it is anywhere other than low range.

I just worked my way back to the city where the boneyard is, 30 miles on the shoulder of the highway at 30mph. That was.... Interesting. At least I know it isn't the transmission, since it shifts (seems to stop at 4th gear, but that I am not sure of) and cruise is interestingly locked out right now. But I can back up, go forward, and have park. So the transmission seems to be behaving.

Next I get to work on the disassembly after I get the case tomorrow. This town / state seems to roll up the sidewalks on weekends. Even the MALL looks closed today!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:17 pm 
LOST Addict

I doubt it's a gears/shafts/splines problem.
It if were, it'd be like being stuck in neutral.

It's gotta be a linkage problem.
If not the shifter/cable then it's the linkage inside the case.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:42 pm 
LOST Addict

And yet - it IS in neutral if it is not in 4-low. I have the ability to shift it around, and into and out of 4-low. When it is not in low right now, there is nothing happening. No movement and no park. It doesn't make any more noises, but it was as it was dying. This suggests that the input shaft and obviously the 4-low output are fine, and the chain must be too. However the 1:1 passthrough high range connects after the input shaft, that is the part that is damaged.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Unless something on the case is broken; transfer cases are fully rebuildable, they are simply a manual gearbox with a collection of bearings, gears, shift fork, synchronizers, and a chain along with a few seals... :wink:
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/tra ... 242-parts/
(chain is purchased separately)

The 242 comes in 21 spline and 23 spline versions with long, medium (rare) and short variations.
The 242 is possibly the simplest of all the Jeep transfer cases to rebuild. Their assembly is intuitive, and parts are easily available and affordable.

My t-case is by far the easiest,once out it takes less then 10mins to fully dissemble and 10mins to assemble.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:50 pm 

geordi wrote:
And yet - it IS in neutral if it is not in 4-low. I have the ability to shift it around, and into and out of 4-low. When it is not in low right now, there is nothing happening. No movement and no park. It doesn't make any more noises, but it was as it was dying. This suggests that the input shaft and obviously the 4-low output are fine, and the chain must be too. However the 1:1 passthrough high range connects after the input shaft, that is the part that is damaged.

More than likely a simple problem; the shift dogs on the shifter fork on the 2 wheel hi side have worn off and cannot keep it in 2 wheel hi selection anymore.
Seen this before on other transfer cases! It is not an uncommon problem! :roll:
The shift dogs are made out of some brass alloy and will wear over time....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Mon May 01, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:18 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
More than likely a simple problem; the shift dogs on the shifter fork on the 2 wheel hi side have worn off and cannot keep it in 2 wheel hi selection anymore.
The shift dogs are made out of some brass allow and will wear over time....

Ok, I'll buy that as a problem - And it also sounds like a design flaw since the casing has to be removed and disassembled to fix. Any better options available that won't damage the gears since they obviously are wearing against something moving?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:57 pm 

geordi wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
The shift dogs are made out of some brass allow and will wear over time....

Ok, I'll buy that as a problem - And it also sounds like a design flaw since the casing has to be removed and disassembled to fix. Any better options available that won't damage the gears since they obviously are wearing against something moving?

Not a lot; age, mileage, and type of lubricant all have an impact. Running a little heavier lubricant than ATF in the transfer case can help a bit but could affect fuel mileage.
Running a mix of ATF and Marvel Mystery Oil or Lucas additive will make sure everything stays nice and lubricated!
The shift dog is stationary and is positioned in a grove of the rotating shift ring gear so they are constantly in slight contact and only lubrication controls the wear... :roll:
Some shift dogs have some little shoes on them to help prevent wear, but they too can eventually succumb to wear over time....
There are some shift detents in the rotating gear that also help hold the shift ring in position that also play into this...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ATF is basically 5w-20 engine oil.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Rather than ATF, what about using a 40 weight... Like TDT? Too thick? I'm not thinking of using 75w-90, but something a touch stickier and greasier might be good.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
Rather than ATF, what about using a 40 weight... Like TDT? Too thick? I'm not thinking of using 75w-90, but something a touch stickier and greasier might be good.

Your t-case actually has a fluid pump so anything over 5w-20 weight will cause issues.

A t-case like I have,AtlasII based of NP205,is gear to gear and you want to run gear oil like 75w-90 or 20w-50 engine oil.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mine caught o fire a few weeks ago, not pretty.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:00 am 
LOST Member

If you are looking for simplicity and reliability and don't need the full-time 4WD option, convert to a NP231. I have run two of them past 300k miles with nothing other than fluid changes every 25k miles. I used dexron/mercon ATF in both of them. The NP231 is upgradeable with a wider change and can be converted from a slip yoke to an SYE.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

95Z28A4 wrote:
If you are looking for simplicity and reliability and don't need the full-time 4WD option, convert to a NP231. I have run two of them past 300k miles with nothing other than fluid changes every 25k miles. I used dexron/mercon ATF in both of them. The NP231 is upgradeable with a wider change and can be converted from a slip yoke to an SYE.

You can get the upgraded 231 with the wider chain with little issue and will bolt up easily in a KJ,it's called the 241 t-case that came behind 3.7 KJ's with the 6 speed manual.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:59 am 
LOST Addict

95Z28A4 wrote:

The full-time is so nice though. I put mine in full-time once it starts snowing and leave it there so the wife doesnt need to even think about it on her daily commute.