It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good Reasons to add a 2 micron secondary fuel filter!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:26 pm 

Jeep CRD's now beginning to show results of using 20 micron factory fuel filters!

from a fellow CRD owner with permission to post
Food for thought! :shock:

I see a few on LOST have realized that high pressure common rail diesel components will not last to 200K on the factory 20-micron fuel filter. Many years ago, circa 2006, Greg Laudat and Old Navy posted fuel filtration results of the factory fuel filter. While the FSM described it as a 3-micron filter, it wasn't even close. That was outdated information from the Racor OE 3-micron filter sold in Europe through 2004.

Greg's tests show the Bosch filter 14% efficient at 5 microns, about 60% efficient at 15 microns. It didn't take us long to figure out that Jeep, deciding to drop the in-tank lift pump and use a vacuum system ran into problems with 3-micron fuel filters on a vacuum system. We learned that they used a 20-micron fuel filter at best by Greg's fuel filtration ISO particle count test.

It's a shame, if Jeep has used an in-tank lift pump and even a 5-micron fuel filter, none of this would be happening. But that might have added $35 OE cost to each Jeep!

When I read through the Bosch book on Diesel Fuel Systems, I realized the Chrysler error of not having a lift pump. The Laws of Physics are not forgiving, in spite of any Engineering Specifications.

But even those running a lift pump and still using the Gen II "improved" 20 micron Bosch fuel filter are going to experience accelerated injector, hpfp and rail solenoid valve wear. At 24K psi, 5 to 15-micron debris particles are like a very fine sand blaster....

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: Good Reasons to add a 2 micron secondary fuel filter!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Due to the things I have experienced with Fiat Chrysler, and Daimler Chrysler before them, I have definitely come to the conclusion that they are the cheapest group of SOBs that I have ever run into in the automotive industry.

WWDiesel, your theory is entirely plausible, and I am eager to see more feedback on this subject.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:56 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Jeep CRD's now beginning to show results of using 20 micron factory fuel filters!

from a fellow CRD owner with permission to post
Food for thought! :shock:

I see a few on LOST have realized that high pressure common rail diesel components will not last to 200K on the factory 20-micron fuel filter. Many years ago, circa 2006, Greg Laudat and Old Navy posted fuel filtration results of the factory fuel filter. While the FSM described it as a 3-micron filter, it wasn't even close. That was outdated information from the Racor OE 3-micron filter sold in Europe through 2004.

Greg's tests show the Bosch filter 14% efficient at 5 microns, about 60% efficient at 15 microns. It didn't take us long to figure out that Jeep, deciding to drop the in-tank lift pump and use a vacuum system ran into problems with 3-micron fuel filters on a vacuum system. We learned that they used a 20-micron fuel filter at best by Greg's fuel filtration ISO particle count test.

It's a shame, if Jeep has used an in-tank lift pump and even a 5-micron fuel filter, none of this would be happening. But that might have added $35 OE cost to each Jeep!

When I read through the Bosch book on Diesel Fuel Systems, I realized the Chrysler error of not having a lift pump. The Laws of Physics are not forgiving, in spite of any Engineering Specifications.

But even those running a lift pump and still using the Gen II "improved" 20 micron Bosch fuel filter are going to experience accelerated injector, hpfp and rail solenoid valve wear. At 24K psi, 5 to 15-micron debris particles are like a very fine sand blaster....

How many failures have there been of CP3's, injectors or solenoids around here? I dont know that I have seen too many. I have a 2 micron filter but mostly because I needed a new filter head anyways so I went with the Racor to get the extra filter options.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
Due to the things I have experienced with Fiat Chrysler, and Daimler Chrysler before them, I have definitely come to the conclusion that they are the cheapest group of SOBs that I have ever run into in the automotive industry.

WWDiesel, your theory is entirely plausible, and I am eager to see more feedback on this subject.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
My CRD fuel system, as far as I know, has always been original stock until I bought it. (147k)

I would really like to see a FPS valve that has similar miles with a super fine filter side by side to compare.

While I'm spouting out wishes, I wish all vehicles had a fuel consumption meter as well as or rather than odometer. Would give a much better idea of how it REALLY has been run, and how much life it has left.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I had a couple of people diss the poor filtration argument, in that that's what the system was designed to use, by real engineers, yada yada.

Actually, in this case, that's not a valid argument. When this engine was designed and even when these vehicles were manufactured, fuel standards were drastically different. Specifically, the sulfur content.

The super low, (and dropping) sulfur content fuel we use now may be great for the environment, and necessary, BUT these vehicles simply were not designed for it. Sulfur acted both as a lubricant and as an impact cushion in metal-to-metal contact. It also helped alleviate the abrading action of small in-fuel particles, making ultra fine filtration UN-necessary at that time.

In years past this would not have been a problem, but with the changing fuel compound, complicated by higher fuel pressures and tightening of tolerances, there just isn't the safety factor these components need. They simply were NOT DESIGNED TO OPERATE in the present and future diesel fuel environment.

Hence the need for improved filtration, and lubrication (as evidenced by the number of fuel suppliers adding minimum lubrication augmentation at the distributorships or even before.)

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:14 pm 

There simply is no such thing as "too clean of fuel" no matter how you cut it!
Any dirt or contaminate no matter how small is detrimental to extremely close tolerance parts when exposed to a continuous diet of it over a long enough time period.
And yes, there have been quite a few posters here lately on LOST with issues relating to the high pressure fuel components especially it seems with injectors. :shock:

And I suppose injectors would be one of the first things that would cause issues when exposed to high micron count fuel with their very close tolerances with the fuel solenoid being second and there have been a couple of them reported on here that failed also... I guess the CP3 is much more tolerant and forgiving when exposed to high micron count fuel?

If you want the best protection for your Jeep CRD or any diesel for that matter, you really need to think about upgrading the fuel filtration system to higher standards for the best filtration possible. That includes adding a secondary fuel filter and going to a higher micron fuel/water separator filter in place of the OEM filter. There are several much better filters available (better micron number) that will screw onto the OEM filter head!

There have been many discussions on here about what is the very best oil filter to use; but I have seen very little discussion or concern about better final fuel filtration!!! I believe it is just as important and that is why I started this thread to get people to at least think about it! :roll:

Parts fail, but if you can slow down the aging and / or failure rate, why not do it? And HP fuel parts are not CHEAP!
You want it to last, be proactive....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:44 pm 
LOST Member

The original fuel filter head in my wife's CRD began sucking air at 49k miles. I replaced it with a 2nd gen filter head. The priming pump failed on that one at 80k miles. I used the pump from the first filter head with the heater from the 2nd filter head to make a functioning unit. I ran that one until I replaced it with a Racor 245R122 fuel filter head with 2 micron filter at 101k miles. In my opinion, the OEM filter heads are junk. The CRD currently has 128k miles. I am hoping the 2 micron filters will help the fuel system last 300k miles.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:28 am 
LOST Addict

You guys running just the 2 micron have any idea how many miles you can get out of a filter? I was going to do the secondary route, but I like less stuff under the hood, so running just the 2 m sounds good to me. I've also dealt with a clogged filter after some biodiesel on a trip to CA, and I just installed my spare and kept rolling. I would expect more of that with a solo 2 micron.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:21 am 

I have fuel pressure gauge showing the fuel pressure on the outlet of the secondary fuel filter that feeds the CP3 injection pump. I also have an in-tank lift pump and pressure runs around 12 to 13 psig and will drop to a little less than 10 psig on a hard acceleration. If I ever see the pressure drop below 5 psig, I will be changing the filters. So far, I have only changed the secondary filter one time after about 2 years of service. Pressure was not down, I just felt it was time....

The secondary filter takes up very little space under the hood if mounted correctly!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:26 pm 
LOST Addict

That is a sweet setup you have there WW. I'll have to reconsider that. I'm really curious how many miles running only a 2 micron gets though. If the 2 microns are cheap and last 10k or more, then it seems like a win, but I'd definitely carry a spare at all times.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:59 pm 

As long as you do not get some bad fuel, I suspect a filter would last 10k or more! I went over 10k before changing the secondary filter and filter outlet pressure was only down to ~8-9 psig!
Again, you must have a lift pump to run a 2 micron filter! :roll:

I have this same setup on my Dodge Cummins after learning about how bad diesel fuel can be and what it can do to those very expensive close tolerance parts.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:06 pm 
LOST Addict

You think my cheap inline pump that my jeep came with can handle the extra work? I have an expensive inline on the shelf that I have been planning on putting in.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:03 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I had a couple of people diss the poor filtration argument, in that that's what the system was designed to use, by real engineers, yada yada.

Actually, in this case, that's not a valid argument. When this engine was designed and even when these vehicles were manufactured, fuel standards were drastically different. Specifically, the sulfur content.

The super low, (and dropping) sulfur content fuel we use now may be great for the environment, and necessary, BUT these vehicles simply were not designed for it. Sulfur acted both as a lubricant and as an impact cushion in metal-to-metal contact. It also helped alleviate the abrading action of small in-fuel particles, making ultra fine filtration UN-necessary at that time.

In years past this would not have been a problem, but with the changing fuel compound, complicated by higher fuel pressures and tightening of tolerances, there just isn't the safety factor these components need. They simply were NOT DESIGNED TO OPERATE in the present and future diesel fuel environment.

Hence the need for improved filtration, and lubrication (as evidenced by the number of fuel suppliers adding minimum lubrication augmentation at the distributorships or even before.)

I dont follow the whole, engineers designed it so therefore its right, argument either. Case in point, the entire rest of these Jeeps. I just question the severity of the issue. Its not like every other day there is someone posting about failed injectors and CP3's. I've seen a few people post with poor injector test results with higher mileage, but its not like other vehicles using Bosch injectors havent had issues unrelated to long term wear.

Last edited by mass-hole on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
You guys running just the 2 micron have any idea how many miles you can get out of a filter? I was going to do the secondary route, but I like less stuff under the hood, so running just the 2 m sounds good to me. I've also dealt with a clogged filter after some biodiesel on a trip to CA, and I just installed my spare and kept rolling. I would expect more of that with a solo 2 micron.

I am doing my racor units every 6 months which is around 10,000 miles. I havent run into any driveabiltiy issues but I am also only on my 3rd filter. I snagged a case of 12 2 micron filters on ebay for like $45 which was epic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 pm 

If you do not want to install a better fuel filtration system that is fine; it is your vehicle and no one will beat you up for not doing so! :roll:

What we are trying to impress is the fact that the OEM filter new starts out at about 10 microns and degrades very quickly from there!
High micron fuel is very bad on the very close tolerance high pressure fuel parts like the injectors, fuel pressure solenoid, etc...

There have been quite a few on this forum who have reported issues with injectors as of late, and few reporting fuel pressure solenoid or fuel quality solenoid (on back of CP3) issues.
Most of these failures can be attributed to wear issues with these HP parts; just look at the pictures Gordon provided! High micron fuel acts like a sandblaster on these parts!!!

If you want to be proactive and try and protect you Jeep CRD from bad and low lubricity fuel, please add a secondary fuel filter of 2 micron rating and start adding some good lubricant like Marvel Mystery Oil or a non-synthetic 2-cycle oil to your fuel tank to keep everything clean and to keep these parts lubricated!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:33 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
I'm really curious how many miles running only a 2 micron gets though. If the 2 microns are cheap and last 10k or more, then it seems like a win, but I'd definitely carry a spare at all times.

I installed a Carter P76148M in-tank fuel pump in my wife's CRD. I changed the first 2 micron Racor filter after 20k miles. The Jeep did not have any drivability issues. Going forward, I will be changing the fuel filter every 3rd oil change - 18k miles.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:19 am 
LOST Addict

95Z28A4 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
I'm really curious how many miles running only a 2 micron gets though. If the 2 microns are cheap and last 10k or more, then it seems like a win, but I'd definitely carry a spare at all times.

I installed a Carter P76148M in-tank fuel pump in my wife's CRD. I changed the first 2 micron Racor filter after 20k miles. The Jeep did not have any drivability issues. Going forward, I will be changing the fuel filter every 3rd oil change - 18k miles.

Thanks for the reports, that sounds like plenty of filter life. I'll have to weight the racor unit versus the dual setup.
To be safe you'd almost have to carry one of each filter with the dual version :?: , I barely have room in the toolbox for one, hmm.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:55 am 
LOST Addict

It looks like it's almost $300 in parts for the Racor single filter upgrade, and if I remember correctly your dual setup was maybe $100 WW? I'm going to go dual if that's the case!

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:46 am 

Mountainman wrote:
It looks like it's almost $300 in parts for the Racor single filter upgrade, and if I remember correctly your dual setup was maybe $100 WW? I'm going to go dual if that's the case!

Wix or NAPA fuel filter base run around $27-28 most places on line; See picture below:
Hose and fittings, ~$10-15
New Filter, ~$15 or less
So about $50-60 bucks for the whole outfit depending on where you buy!

Baldwin and Fleetguard have a top mount filter base if you prefer, around $25, but they only have one inlet / outlet.
Baldwin FB1311 // Fleetguard -- 142784S
I like the two inlet/outlet Wix type, that way you can have a bleed valve to use when priming new filter and / or a connection point for a pressure gauge using a "tee"!

Wix 24770 or Napa 4770 Filter Base

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah, that's a no brainer. Certainly be able to change filters less often. Thanks again for the parts, I hadn't tracked down your old how to yet. So you should be able to bleed both through the bleeder on the secondary with an actuation or two of the lift pump, or by using the primary bleeder?

Mech fan, VH & AC delete