It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Good Reasons to add a 2 micron secondary fuel filter!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:19 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
Thanks again for the parts, I hadn't tracked down your old how to yet.
His thread is here: Adding Secondary 2 Micron Fuel Filter :D

a couple other related threads I keep bookmarked that might be useful:
It's 10:01pm - where's your fuel manager head?
Racor Fuel Filter Installation Details

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:30 pm 
LOST Addict

joe_ wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Thanks again for the parts, I hadn't tracked down your old how to yet.
His thread is here: Adding Secondary 2 Micron Fuel Filter :D

a couple other related threads I keep bookmarked that might be useful:
It's 10:01pm - where's your fuel manager head?
Racor Fuel Filter Installation Details

Thanks Joe, I needed that link! that racor thread is where I got the $300ish.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
Yeah, that's a no brainer. Certainly be able to change filters less often. Thanks again for the parts, I hadn't tracked down your old how to yet. So you should be able to bleed both through the bleeder on the secondary with an actuation or two of the lift pump, or by using the primary bleeder?

Yep, fills that filter up in one cycle! Install filter, turn key on, pump runs for ~15-20 seconds and filter is full and all air is gone! I do cycle it a second time just to be sure! :lol:
Never touch the old manual pump anymore.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:23 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Yeah, that's a no brainer. Certainly be able to change filters less often. Thanks again for the parts, I hadn't tracked down your old how to yet. So you should be able to bleed both through the bleeder on the secondary with an actuation or two of the lift pump, or by using the primary bleeder?

Yep, fills that filter up in one cycle! Install filter, turn key on, pump runs for ~15-20 seconds and filter is full and all air is gone! I do cycle it a second time just to be sure! :lol:
Never touch the old manual pump anymore.... :roll:

That's really smart as that manual primer will probably wear out and suck air if given enough work.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:30 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
It looks like it's almost $300 in parts for the Racor single filter upgrade, and if I remember correctly your dual setup was maybe $100 WW? I'm going to go dual if that's the case!

I installed the Racor unit with WIF sensor and the Omega TH-44004-1/4NPT-12 temperature sensor using the correct Apex connectors for less than $200.

If adding a second filter, I would only use the WIX/NAPA fuel filter head. I purchased a Fleetguard filter head for a different application and later replaced it with a WIX 24770 unit. The threads on the Fleetguard and CAT filter heads are aluminum and easily damaged. The WIX/NAPA filter head is aluminum, but the threads are plated steel. I have not any issues with the WIX filter head. I use a 2 micron CAT 1R-0749 filter, but it is probably too long for the CRD. The CAT 1R-0750 is a shorter version of the 1R-0749. I buy the CAT 1R-0749 from a nearby Peterbilt dealer for $17 each. The WIX 24770 threads match the CAT 1R-0749 and 1R-0750 filters.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:15 pm 
LOST Addict

95Z28A4 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
It looks like it's almost $300 in parts for the Racor single filter upgrade, and if I remember correctly your dual setup was maybe $100 WW? I'm going to go dual if that's the case!

I installed the Racor unit with WIF sensor and the Omega TH-44004-1/4NPT-12 temperature sensor using the correct Apex connectors for less than $200.

If adding a second filter, I would only use the WIX/NAPA fuel filter head. I purchased a Fleetguard filter head for a different application and later replaced it with a WIX 24770 unit. The threads on the Fleetguard and CAT filter heads are aluminum and easily damaged. The WIX/NAPA filter head is aluminum, but the threads are plated steel. I have not any issues with the WIX filter head. I use a 2 micron CAT 1R-0749 filter, but it is probably too long for the CRD. The CAT 1R-0750 is a shorter version of the 1R-0749. I buy the CAT 1R-0749 from a nearby Peterbilt dealer for $17 each. The WIX 24770 threads match the CAT 1R-0749 and 1R-0750 filters.

Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering the wix head for $17, shipping was high though. I didn't find anything that I liked for the dual mounting bracket in my stash. Anyone got any advise for a good place to buy a small amount of metal? Maybe a welding supply?

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Hey MM
Do you need it for an 05 or an 06?

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:33 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Hey MM
Do you need it for an 05 or an 06?

05, you're asking about the bracket? I know the wires rub on the 06's, but I can't see the bracket being any different :?:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
PM sent

[edit] The wires on my 06 don't rub at all. There is a massive tunnel behind the fuel filter unless the filter bracket has been smashed. Plus I wrapped the loom all the way into it with Parker PolyGuard.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:41 am 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering the wix head for $17, shipping was high though. I didn't find anything that I liked for the dual mounting bracket in my stash. Anyone got any advise for a good place to buy a small amount of metal? Maybe a welding supply?

Try eBay for steel. I have bought several pieces from different vendors at very reasonable prices.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:52 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
Anyone got any advice for a good place to buy a small amount of metal? Maybe a welding supply?

Lowes, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware all sale small pieces of mild flat and round steel stock in different lengths and widths for small projects! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a question concerning in tank fuel pumps. Rock Auto lists an in tank pump for the CRD. The info on this pump list diesel as compatible. Is this a lower pressure pump than what is used on the gas version?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:13 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Anyone got any advice for a good place to buy a small amount of metal? Maybe a welding supply?

Lowes, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware all sale small pieces of mild flat and round steel stock in different lengths and widths for small projects! :wink:

Thanks W

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:14 am 
LOST Member

I think i have been blessed with no fuel or injector issues (other than air, soon to be fixed) from WIF, dirty fuel , I routinely fuel polish all my diesel before adding it to the CRD tank and add Diesel Kleen or LiquiMoly Super Diesel Additive every tank.

I'm planning an cargo area mounted filterhead (2 micron filter with water separator filter) with 12V on demand diesel pump, heavy duty deep cycle battery and lines and fittings going into the tank. 24/7 fuel onboard fuel polishing, independent of the vehicle fuel system. Basically the entire tank would be circulated thru the 2 filters 8 - 10 times an hour.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:56 am 

Bushman5 wrote:
I think i have been blessed with no fuel or injector issues (other than air, soon to be fixed) from WIF, dirty fuel , I routinely fuel polish all my diesel before adding it to the CRD tank and add Diesel Kleen or LiquiMoly Super Diesel Additive every tank.

I'm planning an cargo area mounted filterhead (2 micron filter with water separator filter) with 12V on demand diesel pump, heavy duty deep cycle battery and lines and fittings going into the tank. 24/7 fuel onboard fuel polishing, independent of the vehicle fuel system. Basically the entire tank would be circulated thru the 2 filters 8 - 10 times an hour.

Well you would certainly get some very clean and polished fuel with a setup like that, but IMHO, that would be an extreme overkill! :roll:
You would still need an in-tank pump to insure no air in fuel system feeding the CP3.... :wink:

Simplest method, just install an in-tank fuel pump and add a 2 micron secondary fuel filter after the stock OEM filter/water separator! Mission accomplished! :rockon:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:45 am 
LOST Member

Got a Carter ON order , from SasquatchParts. Along with a wiring harness. It will supplement my already installed Racor 245 2 micron filter.

I like overkill. I look at it this way. If I need to use old dirty fuel from a logging camp or old machinery , I can , the fuel polishing setup would allow me to use those fuels , with piece of mind knowing the CP3 and injectors are protected, 10 times over

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Bushman5 wrote:
Got a Carter ON order , from SasquatchParts. Along with a wiring harness. It will supplement my already installed Racor 245 2 micron filter.

I like overkill. I look at it this way. If I need to use old dirty fuel from a logging camp or old machinery , I can , the fuel polishing setup would allow me to use those fuels , with piece of mind knowing the CP3 and injectors are protected, 10 times over

I absolutely agree... overkill gives peace of mind. Peace of mind is the reason why I manufacture the Model 001 to such high standards... I do not want any of my customers having to worry about the part I sold to them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:42 pm 
LOST Member

Your stat is next on my upgrade list .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Bushman5 wrote:
Your stat is next on my upgrade list .

Thank you, Bushman5... your business is greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

I have finally made a payment on a Mr. Deburr DB300 vibratory tumbler. It shouldn't be long now before I no longer have to deburr machined parts by hand!! :BANANA: :pepper:

The long journey to working out post-machining production problems in my endeavour to manufacture the Model 001 looks to finally be coming to an end. I still need a place to set up my ultrasonic cleaners, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:58 am 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
As long as you do not get some bad fuel, I suspect a filter would last 10k or more! I went over 10k before changing the secondary filter and filter outlet pressure was only down to ~8-9 psig!
Again, you must have a lift pump to run a 2 micron filter! :roll:

I have this same setup on my Dodge Cummins after learning about how bad diesel fuel can be and what it can do to those very expensive close tolerance parts.... :wink:

I don't have a lift pump yet , its in the mail. But I'm running a Racor 2 micron filter , recent install, already have over 2000 km's on it. JEEPS never run smoother . 98% Hwy speeds , with cargo loads . Hot weather , cool weather , average 100km/h sustained driving for 6-10 hours at a time.