It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Playing chicken with known CRD warning signs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:12 pm 
LOST Member

So I have been looking for a possible second CRD and may have found one. It is going to need some work, in that it has 120K on the odo and has not had a timing belt yet. And it has a few codes, including a glow plug one. So obviously the jeep needs a timing belt and associated parts (wp, rollers tensioner, thermo, etc) and new glow plug immediately. There also is a low boost and erg code in the mix, which may point to the turbo or a stuck erg (or something else).

Two questions on this potential purchase:

1. How serious are the ancient timing belt and GP code. Serious enough that it should not be driven until they are fixed? not even to get it home? I think i know the answer on the TB, its a pure crap shoot as to when it breaks. But what about the GP, any average time from first code to when they start to crumble?

2. What is a reasonable price to fix these things if I took it somewhere (or brought someone here)? I am thinking that I would likely wrench this myself, but from a price negotiation POV I was wondering what these fixes would cost at a shop.

Thanks

Post subject: Playing chicken with known CRD warning signs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:02 pm 
LOST Addict

A hell of a lot more at a shop is all I can tell you because it's just a lot of labor. The belt and associated parts I believe are around $450. There is nothing particularly hard with the timing belt job if you have the cam lock tools, which you can rent. It just takes time.

GPs are fairly cheap and mostly easy to do. There is only one that can be tough to get too.