It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: crd pump priming noise engine area-ignition on engine off
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All

new to this forum :)

i have a 2005 2.8 crd jeep cherokee.

only just bought this a few days after having previously owned 2 petrol grand cherokees so am new to the diesel engine.

a quick question: there is some sort of pump priming noise coming from the back of the engine area when the ignition key is turned on but the engine is off. it sounds like some sort of pump constantly filling itself up and then releasing again...it continues constantly.

any ideas what it could be? is it normal? it kind of sound likes it comes from the fuel filter area but haven't pinned it down exactly yet.

the jeep seems to be driving perfectly etc but i've learned from owning 2 grand cherokees to investigate any unusual sounds asap

Post subject: Re: crd pump priming noise engine area-ignition on engine of
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
If a previous owner put one there, that's a handy place, as it's about the only place to put one without having to go underneath and / or drop the fuel tank.
Whether it really is or not, I've no way to know.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2 thoughts
1. if a previous owner installed an inline lift pump in the engine bay you can find it by tracing the inflow/outflow lines from the fuel filter. However, if the key is switched on but the engine not started a lift pump should only run for a few seconds, to pressurize the line, and then stop and stay stopped unless the line(s) are leaking.
2. a constant buzz might be the flow control valve, bad gear, located where the right, viewed from the front, intercooler hose connects to the intake.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
2 thoughts
1. if a previous owner installed an inline lift pump in the engine bay you can find it by tracing the inflow/outflow lines from the fuel filter. However, if the key is switched on but the engine not started a lift pump should only run for a few seconds, to pressurize the line, and then stop and stay stopped unless the line(s) are leaking.
2. a constant buzz might be the flow control valve, bad gear, located where the right, viewed from the front, intercooler hose connects to the intake.

thanks for the reply. yes i think its the flow control valve. have just read up on it and it seems to smooth engine shutdown amongst other things. haven't noticed any rough shutdowns yet but the buzzing/whirring noise would suggest the gears are failing from what i've read. lots of people seem to think you can do without it as its such an expensive part. i'll research more into it as its all new to me but thanks for pointing me in the right direction