It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 jeep liberty CRD transfer case switch?????
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:19 am 
LOST Member

is this the sending unit/switch/sensor i need for the transfer case? (currently when in 2WD the dash shows the T-case as being in 4WD Part Time).

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 69&jsn=512

local dealer wanted $350 CDN plus labour ($125 CDN / hour) to install)

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

Post subject: Re: 2005 jeep liberty CRD transfer case switch?????
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:58 am 
LOST Member

That page lists 5083138AA as one of the alternate/OEM part numbers, and the 2005 parts catalog shows that same part number for the NP242 transfer switch with the description "SWITCH, Transfer Case, 5 Position" so I'd say that's probably the one.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Make sure the switch is in place fully on the TC. Its basically a potentiometer that varies resistance on a voltage which is sent to the BCM. If its not being pushed in the correct distance the BCM will get a different voltage than it is supposed to and will display the wrong light. It could just be that the switch was knocked out of place slightly so that its not being actuated like normal and not sending the correct voltage to the BCM.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:16 pm 
LOST Addict

I'll sell u one for much less $$
Also a bent (fork?) Can cause that

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Oh, and they are incredibly easy to change
Edit: the switch/sender that is. Big crescent wrench and one connector to unclip is about it

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Last edited by Mountainman on Fri May 12, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My notes say this is it, see tech tips PDF at http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/ . Not sure the console removal tips are totally accurate as they are for a different year but my son just had the key interlock cable fixed on his 06 and they only charged 1 hr labor to dig into the console at least that far. Part should be no more than Canadian $150 or so even at a dealer.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

joe_ wrote:
That page lists 5083138AA as one of the alternate/OEM part numbers, and the 2005 parts catalog shows that same part number for the NP242 transfer switch with the description "SWITCH, Transfer Case, 5 Position" so I'd say that's probably the one.

All the t-cases use the same switch,all are 5 position just those without select trac the PCM/BCM/IC reads the 2nd and 3rd position as 4hi.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:52 am 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
My notes say this is it, see tech tips PDF at http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/ . Not sure the console removal tips are totally accurate as they are for a different year but my son just had the key interlock cable fixed on his 06 and they only charged 1 hr labor to dig into the console at least that far. Part should be no more than Canadian $150 or so even at a dealer.
I removed the console in my '05 just a week or two ago and the steps are exactly the same as what your tech tips PDF shows. My only concern was that there are 4x short screws and 5x long screws, and I didn't realize they were different lengths until I went to put it back together so I had no idea which length came from where. Ended up using the short ones for the screw holes under the transmission and transfer case shift bezels and the bottom of the storage compartment, and then the long ones for the top front/rear of the storage compartment.