It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Headache
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am a newbie. I have purchased a 2005 liberty CRD. The turbo was destroyed by the EGR along with the CAT, pulled oil into the intercooler, what a mess. I replaced the Turbo, gutted the CAT, disabled the EGR, removed the fuel filter/heater head, installed a new filter base, installed an inline lift pump.Now the fuel gauge is intermittent, the odometer & trip meter is inop, the outside temp is intermittent. I used the fuel heater positive lead to power the fuel pump. I accidentally shorted the fuel heater leads along the way and replaced the blown fuse. The repair manual I have mentions a reflash for the ECM after anything being worked on, I don't have the ability to reflash the ECM. I didn't mention ABS and brake warning light are on. I took her down and had new brakes installed, the Tech checked for codes in the ABS brain, zero codes. He checked the battery, to see if low voltage was causing the problem, 11.9 v & 625 cca, the battery is rated 950 cca. Can anybody point me in the right direction to fix girl?

Post subject: Re: CRD Headache
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:24 am 
LOST Addict

Jobob46 wrote:
I am a newbie. I have purchased a 2005 liberty CRD. The turbo was destroyed by the EGR along with the CAT, pulled oil into the intercooler, what a mess. I replaced the Turbo, gutted the CAT, disabled the EGR, removed the fuel filter/heater head, installed a new filter base, installed an inline lift pump.

Now the fuel gauge is intermittent,
check the wiring back at the tank where the sending unit is

the odometer & trip meter is inop,
because you have a bad ABS sensor, most likely the one on the rear axle, replace its harness connector too

the outside temp is intermittent.
this temp sensor is in the grille

I used the fuel heater positive lead to power the fuel pump. I accidentally shorted the fuel heater leads along the way and replaced the blown fuse.
This is incorrect. There is a fuel pump relay in the fuse box next to the battery. Wire your fuel pump from there

The repair manual I have mentions a reflash for the ECM after anything being worked on, I don't have the ability to reflash the ECM.
This is incorrect. Although because you have deleted the EGR, you should get the MPPS cable/software and load one of the DIY tunes

I didn't mention ABS and brake warning light are on.
because you have a bad ABS sensor

I took her down and had new brakes installed, the Tech checked for codes in the ABS brain, zero codes.
many code scanners have a tough time with the CRD, in fact, I dont know any that can read ABS codes other than the dealer

He checked the battery, to see if low voltage was causing the problem, 11.9 v & 625 cca, the battery is rated 950 cca.
replace the battery

Can anybody point me in the right direction to fix girl?

Post subject: Re: CRD Headache
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bad or weak battery can cause erratic fuel gauge readings based on my personal experience.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs