It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with brakes
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:07 pm 
LOST Member

Since January I started to have the brakes and ABS lights on on the dashboard. They actually turn on when I drive over bumpy surfaces and then they turn off after some time. A few days ago my brakes started doing something odd. When I hit the brakes sometimes, they don't really brake and instead, the pedal goes deeper making a noise of steel rubbing and then it brakes.
What could this be? And are the lights on the dashboard related?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Problem with brakes
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:33 pm 
LOST Addict

hgrimberg wrote:
Since January I started to have the brakes and ABS lights on on the dashboard. They actually turn on when I drive over bumpy surfaces and then they turn off after some time. A few days ago my brakes started doing something odd. When I hit the brakes sometimes, they don't really brake and instead, the pedal goes deeper making a noise of steel rubbing and then it brakes.
What could this be? And are the lights on the dashboard related?
Thank you

Could be your ABS sensors. I broke both of mine in half trying to remove them from the front hubs when I was installing my lift, but they still made ok contact when I bolted them back on and I will get intermittent lights when I hit bumps because it jiggles them just enough to break the connection.

Ill pull out of my garage and start heading down the road and all will be fine, then i hit a pothole and the dash lights up.

Post subject: Problem with brakes
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:44 pm 
LOST Member

Right, I am not so concerned about having the sensors a bit loose but I started to be more concerned about the brakes not acting immediately and instead sometimes it is like the pedal allows me to step on them a bit more down the line to then fully stop and brake.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:57 pm 
LOST Member

Now I am also hearing a noise of steel rubbing when I turn the wheel and make a turn. It sounds like coming from the front wheels.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:01 pm 
LOST Member

I would check the brake pads and calipers. Sounds like something may have come loose.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:06 pm 
LOST Member

joe_ wrote:
I would check the brake pads and calipers. Sounds like something may have come loose.

Yes, it was the brake pads. About my other issue, the ABS light on and sometimes off on the dashboard, I've been told that it could be the ABS sensors. My question is, how do I know which one of the 4 sensors is the faulty one?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:30 pm 
LOST Member

A code reader that's capable of reading ABS codes could tell you which sensor is causing problems. Once you narrow it down that far, you may want to check the wiring for that sensor before buying a new sensor. Some people have had wires in the wiring harness break in the areas that get a lot of flexing when the suspension moves up and down. The way you mention it used to be an intermittent problem that occurred when you went over bumps leads me to believe there may be a broken wire somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:35 am 
LOST Member

joe_ wrote:
A code reader that's capable of reading ABS codes could tell you which sensor is causing problems. Once you narrow it down that far, you may want to check the wiring for that sensor before buying a new sensor. Some people have had wires in the wiring harness break in the areas that get a lot of flexing when the suspension moves up and down. The way you mention it used to be an intermittent problem that occurred when you went over bumps leads me to believe there may be a broken wire somewhere.

Your explanation makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:30 pm 
LOST Member

The harness to the right rear is more prone to breaks than the left, by nature of the routing and attachments. On both of my 2006's, the factory ties holding the harness in place on the rear axle were so tight that the wire insulation was compromised, causing corrosion and separation in time. Then ABS failure, which also negates, traction control, stability control and cruise control.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:45 am 
LOST Member

mrhemi wrote:
The harness to the right rear is more prone to breaks than the left, by nature of the routing and attachments. On both of my 2006's, the factory ties holding the harness in place on the rear axle were so tight that the wire insulation was compromised, causing corrosion and separation in time. Then ABS failure, which also negates, traction control, stability control and cruise control.

The strange thing is that in many occasions, when I hit the brakes pedal, I feel the pedal going deeper than usual making a terrible noise of steel rubbing and I feel in my toes like some part inside the pedal moves. When that happens, the brakes and ABS lights turn on. They also turn on without this thing I just described happening. Sometimes they just turn on when hitting a bump on the road or when turning the 4 wheel drive on.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:16 pm 
LOST Member

Any idea of what could it be apart from the ABS sensors or wiring damaged? It sounds like it also has a mechanical problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Have you checked your brakes at all 4 wheels?
Are the pads worn down?
Are the discs smooth on both sides?

Metal grinding sounds while braking is not good. Sounds to me like you need new brakes.
Also check you brake fluid reservoir.
Low brake fluid will cause the brake warning light to come on and is also a strong indication that you need new brakes.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:40 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
Have you checked your brakes at all 4 wheels?
Are the pads worn down?
Are the discs smooth on both sides?

Metal grinding sounds while braking is not good. Sounds to me like you need new brakes.
Also check you brake fluid reservoir.
Low brake fluid will cause the brake warning light to come on and is also a strong indication that you need new brakes.

I already replaced the pads and the discs on all sides, but still hear the metal grinding noise on some occasions when I hit the brakes pedal. Right when I do that, the brakes and ABS lights come up.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

In my 2006, the three dash board lights are on then off. Normally these go on after a good bump...I had all the ABS sensors changed...I need to check the wiring. good posting thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:32 pm 
LOST Member

Belizeman wrote:
In my 2006, the three dash board lights are on then off. Normally these go on after a good bump...I had all the ABS sensors changed...I need to check the wiring. good posting thanks

It could be awesome if you could use a scanner that can tell you which sensor it is and if it is the sensors. Unfortunately I think there is not such a scanner so it is just a blind trial and error thing that can cost you a lot of money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:39 pm 
LOST Member

Are the brakes for sure grinding, or is it the ABS coming on? The ABS pump/controller can make kind of a grinding sound as it pulses the brakes, and it causes the pedal to push back at you and sort of vibrate as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:33 pm 
LOST Member

joe_ wrote:
Are the brakes for sure grinding, or is it the ABS coming on? The ABS pump/controller can make kind of a grinding sound as it pulses the brakes, and it causes the pedal to push back at you and sort of vibrate as well.

Yes, that is exactly what happens. When you mention the ABS controller you talk about the sensors? It means they have to be replaced?
Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:06 pm 
LOST Member

I would guess when it loses connection with one of the sensors, it first mistakes it for that wheel locking up and runs the ABS pump. Then it realizes it just lost connection and throws on the ABS/brake lights. You'd need a scan tool that can communicate with the ABS controller to determine which sensor is causing problems, then do some testing to determine whether the problem is a failing sensor or an intermittent break in the wiring.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:05 am 
LOST Member

[THUMBS UP SIGN]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:17 am 
LOST Member

My mechanic just told me it wasnt the sensors nor the wiring but the box that controls the brakes and the 4x4