It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sudden multiple error codes/wiring glitch P0069 P0113 P0193
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all - problem with a 2005 RHD 2.8 CRD - first paragraph is the problem - second a bit of history

Problem car was fine until this morning when went into limp mode, engine light on and red flashing electrical light on dash (that one is not in the UK handbook!) Scanner is giving:
P0069 - BARO/MAP sensor
P0113 - Intake air temperature circuit high input
P0193 - Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit high input

P0190 - Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit
P2125 - throttle/pedal position sensor

Other than limp mode no problems starting/driving.

Went through Lost Jeeps looking at the fuel rail problem and found lots of suggestions to check for wiring problems. The RHD car has a mass of stuff where the US model has the brake master cylinder and servo - abs block and fuel filter are in the same place but then we have the air con 'can' bolted to 2 of the ABS block mounting fittings and, behind that on the bulkhead/firewall is the ECU, under the ECU there is a huge bundle of wires that pass through the bulkhead into a plug behind the footwell trim.
Some of the wires in that bundle show chafing/damage where they pass under the ECU (they are not wrapped - just a big mass of wires).
I'm not sure if these have any bearing on the problem - there were four that may have been damaged and those were cut and rejoined - made no difference. I also cleaned the ECU pins when it was out of the car before reseating it.

I cannot see any other wiring problems in the vehicle - if I clear down the codes then they return instantly the engine is started (I am using Torque Pro with a generic ODBII ELM adaptor).

Given the sudden onset of all these codes - I'm lost - current thoughts are to get a new MAP sensor (0281002437 Bosch is fitted) as they are cheap enough but any ideas about the Fuel Rail codes (especially that they all come up at once?) New fuel pressure sensor also ordered.

Many thanks

Graeme

Post subject: Re: Sudden multiple error codes/wiring glitch P0069 P0113 P0
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
It sounds to me like a bad ground and / or a bad connection.

I don't know what all is different b/t the LHD and RHD, but on mine, there are 2 in that neighborhood (near the ECM)

One is just above and a little behind the left front tire. The other is basically directly under the left headlight. Both are subject to corrosion, and worth checking.

most seem to point to the fuel pressure sensor. Have you unplugged it and started it to see if any new codes pop up? If they don't, you need to start doing pin tests to find out if there is a broken or compromised wire in that circuit. (I am assuming that your fuel filter head, and ECM are in the same location as the LHD vehicle.) Some have had problems with that very 3 prong connector that mates with the fuel pressure sensor.

Right and Left are used as if one is sitting in the vehicle facing forwards.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi - thanks for the prompt reply - I've unplugged & cleaned the fuel pressure sensor & MAP connectors but not tested for new codes - will try that today.

[edit] All earth points cleaned up (not too bad) FCM was found not to be bolted down - don't think that's contributing.
I'm always left with P0193 - fuel rail pressure sensor high. Unplugging that still generates P0193. Pulled fuel filter off - no chaffing behind there. Followed all wires as far as possible & seem intact.

Wiring to plug checked out - good ground, 12v supply middle pin showing 5v (I think that's correct).

Pretty well stumped - new sensor should be here by Saturday so I'll see what that fixes.

One problem is that I'm not sure if Torque is clearing faults correctly - it claims it is but I always have the flashing red electrical error light flashing on the left side of the dash whatever I try - I cannot find a definitive post on Lost Jeeps that explains it fully - anybody help?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:57 am 
LOST Member

GraemeT wrote:
One problem is that I'm not sure if Torque is clearing faults correctly - it claims it is but I always have the flashing red electrical error light flashing on the left side of the dash whatever I try - I cannot find a definitive post on Lost Jeeps that explains it fully - anybody help?
Clearing codes probably isn't going to get rid of them if a fault is actively occurring. You would have to fix the problem that's causing the code to be set, then clear the code.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:40 am 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
It sounds to me like a bad ground and / or a bad connection.
I don't know what all is different b/t the LHD and RHD, but on mine, there are 2 in that neighborhood (near the ECM)
One is just above and a little behind the left front tire. The other is basically directly under the left headlight. Both are subject to corrosion, and worth checking.
most seem to point to the fuel pressure sensor. Have you unplugged it and started it to see if any new codes pop up? If they don't, you need to start doing pin tests to find out if there is a broken or compromised wire in that circuit. (I am assuming that your fuel filter head, and ECM are in the same location as the LHD vehicle.) Some have had problems with that very 3 prong connector that mates with the fuel pressure sensor.
Right and Left are used as if one is sitting in the vehicle facing forwards.

There is also another ground on the cowl just below the rubber seal on the firewall:
Several wires come out of the wiring harness loom and are grounded at this point!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi
That ground cleaned too, new sensor fitted - no change, fuel system checked out - all looks OK - starting to get me down...

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 am 
LOST Addict

GraemeT wrote:
P0069 - BARO/MAP sensor
P0113 - Intake air temperature circuit high input
Theses two codes are related. Either the MAP sensor is bad or you have a loose intermittent connection to the sensor.

P0193 - Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit high input
P0190 - Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit
These two codes are related. If you have already replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor then most likely you have a loose/intermittent connection and need to replace the connector.

P2125 - throttle/pedal position sensor
This one is directly related to the sensor in the accelerator pedal and my also be related to the "flashing red electrical error light flashing on the left side of the dash"

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Flash - thanks for the input.

MAP error went with new MAP but P0193 is still there as a 'critical' and P0190 as 'pending' faults in Torque Pro after the new pressure sensor.

We've currently got all the loom out looking at the chafe points - can't see anything rubbed all the way through but the odd bit of exposed copper here and there alll the damage is where the loom passes through the firewall/bulkhead - looks like somebody has forced an extra wire through the grommet with a blunt instrument. Some chafing under the ECU but looks to be minor.

There is connection from the pressure sensor connector back to the ECM on all wires.
Found another earth point that I'd missed near the ABS Unit.
Broke the injector return pipe off the fitting near the MAP sensor (oops!)

Plan is to spend tomorrow pin testing all the wires that pass through the bulkhead, reassemble everything and see where we are - if we still have the pressure sensor problem then I'll try a new connector - if that still does not cure it then I think it may be time to pass the car on.

It's a good vehicle though so we'll keep trying.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all
Thought I'd wrap this thread up - sadly the KJ has now departed for pastures new.

The new sensors did nothing for the P0193 error as did replacing the multiplugs. The entire loom was pulled out and tested - again no difference - continual P0193. Fuel system then checked - no overpressure in the system so false error.

Unfortunately P0193 puts the KJ into limp mode (there are three diesel vehicles here and the other two will not drop into limp mode for this type of error - e.g. high or low fuel pressure).

Local garage unable to do anything either so KJ has gone - will be missed.

Thank you for all your help on this and my other requests for advice.