It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow loss of cooling fluid
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2006 Crd that losses a small amount of cooling fluid in 2-4 weeks,the warning light then comes on. The truck has not overheaded and runs fine. The truck is in Belize and a local mechanic thinks it is a head gasket, I'm not sure that it trust the dealer or the local. The dealer said it was a small leak in the radiator and installed a new factory radiator. The problem was not fixed. A pressure test did not find any external system leaks. I do not have water in the oil or exhaust. Other than a block test,what can I look for to locate the leak or determine that it is a head gasket issue. Do Crd head gasket fail at 135000 miles?

Post subject: Re: Slow loss of cooling fluid
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:12 pm 
LOST Junkie

Welcome to the forum. Yes, these do have head gasket issues. It seems at all mileages. I have one in my shop with 93k that needs a new headgasket. You can do the "cold test". Which is on a completely cold motor, start it up and run for 30 seconds, shut if off, then go remove the coolant cap. If there is pressure than its the headgasket.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Or you can consider the host of hoses and fittings, including the heater core, that can have minor single or multiple leaks that won't show if they drip on warm or hot surfaces. To find add UV dye to coolant; drive for several days; look for leaks with UV light in shade or garage not bright sun. I imagine they can get UV dye and light in Belize as both are not uncommon.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:45 am 
LOST Member

I replaced my radiator last Fall due to the failure of the metal/plastic interface caused by heat cycling. Afterwards I continued to lose coolant, which caused considerable unease, as I thought it must be the head gasket....instead I found that the new style plastic vent plug on top of the radiator needed to be tightened down more than i was originally comfortable doing. It was fine when idling, but up to speed and hot it was blowing out a small amount of coolant that was getting dried up pretty quickly...I finally figured it out by backtracking the path of dried coolant spots. Also make sure all the hoses are well seated with properly positioned, quality hose clamps.

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:20 am 

X2 on what Pap said!
UV dye in coolant and a UV light will quickly show location of ANY external leaks! :wink:
An overnight pressure test with the glow plugs removed; spin engine over and see if any coolant blows out of one of the GP holes should tell you if have a head gasket or cracked head issue... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:05 pm 
LOST Member

So there is no leak on the outside of the engine? Mine has a very small leak on the EGR cooler.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 pm 
LOST Addict

EGR cooler can also leak internally causing small amounts of coolant to be drawn into the the intake or pushed out the exhaust.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 pm 
LOST Addict

I had a bad coolant reservoir cap the would lightly blow off at too low a pressure. Not enough to see steam and when I would open the engine bay it would be dry.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

flash7210 wrote:
EGR cooler can also leak internally causing small amounts of coolant to be drawn into the the intake or pushed out the exhaust.

Yep it's pretty common for the EGR cooler to leak internally and exit out through the exhaust where it burns off. So you do not see any coolant on the unit, the ground or the tailpipe. Suggest you eliminate this as a possibility before moving on to treating it as a head gasket leak.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the Great information. Several comments were related to the EGR. How would you go about checking this for an internal leak. Can this be removed from the cooling system. :?:

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:28 am 

Belizeman wrote:
Thanks for the Great information. Several comments were related to the EGR. How would you go about checking this for an internal leak. Can this be removed from the cooling system. :?:

Simple; make a block-off plate for the EGR exhaust feed tube, then plug the 5/8 coolant lines on both ends going to and from the EGR cooler or better yet remove all the associated coolant lines going to/from the EGR cooler and plug.

If you install the simple EGR feed tube block off plate you can also remove the butterfly plate out of the FCV (flow control valve) by simply removing two small torx screws and discarding it!
-------Let us know if you need instructions on how to do this, they are listed on this forum!

The EGR block off plate can be made out of most any thin steel sheet metal or a soup or other can lid. :wink:

These are the dimensions & install instructions for the block off plate:> http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=76576

Or very best option: install a Week's elbow kit from Sasquatch Parts.
This allows you to completely remove all of the EGR crap including the, EGR cooler, EGR valve, and FCV!

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Morning All...several posts talked about removing the EGR valve from the system as a source of a slow leak. Assuming that my slow leak is not related to the EGR, is there a value to removing EGR from the from the system. If so what are the benefits.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:46 am 

Belizeman wrote:
Morning All...several posts talked about removing the EGR valve from the system as a source of a slow leak. Assuming that my slow leak is not related to the EGR, is there a value to removing EGR from the from the system. If so what are the benefits.

Blame it on the stupid overly strict idiotic EPA requirements. Blame it on the Jeep's inability to a decent design. The the Liberty CRD's intake system is a sludge machine that gums up sensors and parts creating a nasty, gummy, sludge!!! :grim:

There are many benefits to be gained by totally removing the entire EGR system and all of its crappy components; these are a few:

1. eliminates exhaust soot from entering intake manifold where it will mix with the incoming oil vapors from the CCV system and create soot sludge and buildup in the intake manifold!
    2. MAP sensor will stay clean and last much longer
    3. total removal will result in cleaner engine oil
    4. prolonged engine life as engine components are not subjected to the abrasiveness of soot laden engine oil
    5. will increase engine reliability and power and may even result in slightly better fuel economy
    6. removal of all the EGR cooler and coolant hoses and lines will benefit by having less places for coolant leaks to occur

If you go with the Sasquatch Elbow Kit:
The high-flow replacement intake elbow outperforms the restrictive factory elbow which will increases engine performance, responsiveness and fuel economy.

Note: a+, Adding a ProVent will make the turbo intake boot last longer along with the boost hoses!

This is a picture of all the crappy junk you can remove when installing the Weeks Elbow Kit: :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:54 am 
LOST Newbie

I have had the cold engine pressure test done ( start the engine cold, run for 30 seconds, and check for pressure in the radiator tank) and there was no sign of gas pressure..good news ..can I assume the head gasket is not the source of the cooling leak??

When I return to Belize, I'll do an UV test. I'm considering the removal of the EGR system and installing a Weeks kit. Is the Sasquatch kit a stage 1 and stage 2 kit. I did not see a separate listing for the 2 kits? Since I'll be doing the work in Belize with limited parts and installation support, what level of difficultly is there in the installation of the kit...does the kit ship as a Complete kit not requiring additional items.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:13 am 
LOST Junkie

Nope. Mine would pass that thirty second test, but still had a leaking head gasket.

Belizeman wrote:
I have had the cold engine pressure test done ( start the engine cold, run for 30 seconds, and check for pressure in the radiator tank) and there was no sign of gas pressure..good news ..can I assume the head gasket is not the source of the cooling leak??

When I return to Belize, I'll do an UV test. I'm considering the removal of the EGR system and installing a Weeks kit. Is the Sasquatch kit a stage 1 and stage 2 kit. I did not see a separate listing for the 2 kits? Since I'll be doing the work in Belize with limited parts and installation support, what level of difficultly is there in the installation of the kit...does the kit ship as a Complete kit not requiring additional items.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:17 am 
LOST Member

Weeks 1+2 comes with everything. Only thing you might need is some silicone and a new exhaust clamp for the billet cap and exhaust manifold outlet where the egr will be removed

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:18 am 
LOST Newbie

That is not what I wanted to hear...I'll do a Block Test when I'll down.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

So if the 30 second test is not a positive test for a leaking head gasket and short of pulling the head off, what is a positive test..is there one.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm 

Some suggest to let engine set overnight or longer, then remove all four glow plugs, spin engine over and see if any liquid is observed coming out of GP holes!

SAFETY FIRST!
Warning: This is a very high compression engine, DO NOT place any body parts over GP holes when spinning engine over!!!
Use rags or newspaper over GP holes to catch any liquid indicators of HG leak or cracked head!

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:09 am 
LOST Addict

About a week ago I was thinking about putting on some ARP studs and somehow I ended up on you tube with someone showing the cold test for Head gasket leak. Wells you may predict I went out the next morning and checked three CRDs that are here at present only two of them passed. Thing is other than about !/2 inch low on coolant in reservoir I would never have known anything was wrong . In fact this one I drive every day and it runs great. I did just change from GDE eco to Hot tune about two weeks earlier due to recently upgraded torque converter to Hemi version.

In searching for possible other sources of coolant leaks I came across this thread. Get a pretty big bubble coming up through coolant reservoir on the cold engine test. There are no external leaks that I can find.

Questions:

1. Will a leak of egr/cooler cause the bubble, it seems like it could ? Seems like for air bubble to come out it would have to be under more pressure than coolant system and not just a water pump or other leak externally, which I guess egr system could do?

2. If it can, and I need to get to glow plug holes to test head gasket further anyway, I plan to remove egr and cooler assembly and block egr tubes even if it is not the cause. So if removal egr system doesn't stop bubble . I will do the glow plug test. If it is either positive or equivocal and I do not find another cause, Should I stop driving it immediately and replace gasket and of course ARP studs or can I drive it this way adding coolant as needed for a while. I guess I have already answered my own question while writing this . It needs timing belt and water pump anyway and will do weeks and metal glow plugs at same time. At least it wouldn't be that much extra to replace gasket and studs and maybe even rockers since it has about 188K now . I just can't get over how well it runs with this problem unless its the egr.

Sorry I drug it out so much! Any further suggestions or help appreciated. I just hate to spend another week or two doing this since just finishing timing belt etecnos and weeks on one tomorrow.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden