It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Black smoke & little power
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

the trick i did to find out which injector was overfueling, i removed heat shield ENGINE COLD then i started it and quickly point IR temp gun to each exhaust port my no 1 got hot so fast just in 1 min of idle time , also injector can be capped , one at a time and check or like somebody suggested cylinder cut out test with scan tool ,

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here's the result from the leak off test after about 20 minutes idle. I also used a mechanics stethoscope & poked around on the valve cover. Around cyl 2 it sounded different.

"WISH LIST"
3" Rocky Road Rockfather lift kit
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C
Guage Pod w/ Pyro, Boost, Trans Temp

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

My bluetooth obdII scanner doesn't show any oil pressure data in Torque or OBDLink app. I am taking it to a garage tomorrow to get oil pressure read. What should the oil pressure be on this engine.

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:21 pm 
LOST Member

gt40freak wrote:
My bluetooth obdII scanner doesn't show any oil pressure data in Torque or OBDLink app. I am taking it to a garage tomorrow to get oil pressure read.
You could temporarily connect a mechanical gauge to the oil pressure sending unit's port (or install a tee so both are connected) and grab a reading there. A gauge and fittings are probably cheaper than taking it to a garage, as long as you feel like messing around with it.

gt40freak wrote:
What should the oil pressure be on this engine.
2005 Service Manual says on a warm engine, the minimum is 10 psi @ idle, 29 psi @ 3800 RPM.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:55 am 
LOST Member

joe_ wrote:
gt40freak wrote:
My bluetooth obdII scanner doesn't show any oil pressure data in Torque or OBDLink app. I am taking it to a garage tomorrow to get oil pressure read.
You could temporarily connect a mechanical gauge to the oil pressure sending unit's port (or install a tee so both are connected) and grab a reading there. A gauge and fittings are probably cheaper than taking it to a garage, as long as you feel like messing around with it.

gt40freak wrote:
What should the oil pressure be on this engine.
2005 Service Manual says on a warm engine, the minimum is 10 psi @ idle, 29 psi @ 3800 RPM.

Hey Joe, can you elaborate on how and where to plum the guage.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I took it to a friend's garage he hooked it up to his Snap-on computer for free. The sending unit only shows low or high for a reading. Its only a oil pressure switch. Im taking it to another garage that works on alot of diesel pickups for a full diagnostics including compression check for $50. After I get it fixed this time I may sell it. We have been wanting to take a trip to the east coast this year (3-4k round trip). It would be very expensive to even get it back home if it breaks down on that trip. I used to think I would never get rid of it, but now I just want to fix it & send it down the road. Especially after hearing they are prone to throwing rods too.

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

well i hope that oil pressure is in specs, and crank bearings are ok , so before you take it apart i would suggest to take the injectors to BOSCH for bench test , just to be 100% sure , i had same noise but my idle was unstable and EGT was high on no 1 . so i removed turbo , capped oil line and run it smoke was coming out of no 1, i took injectors to fuel shop , they say NFF they automize ok , told me to remove oil pan and look for metal in oil , i took them to other fuel injection shop , they found problem , i needed 2 injectors , again this my not be in your case but it's worth reading , you could be lucky and needs only rockers so don't drive it , that much noise can get more expensive if you keep running it !

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

The same exact symptoms started on my jeep 3 days ago. It has a new map sensor I put in when I put the new head on so I ruled that out. I was getting p0299 code for underboost. I couldn't find any vacuum leaks or boost leaks ( almost all that stuff is new ). I had already ordered a new maf sensor. I wound up bypassing the vacuum solenoid for the turbo and low and behold it ran like a champ again. The part is $46 plus shipping on idparts. I also canceled the order for the maf sensor. Just take the vacuum hose that goes into the reservoir and plug it on where the hose that comes out of the solenoid goes on the vacuum modulator. Worth a try

05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl
4.10s with a detroit locker in the rear and e-locker up front
Next up....skids and GDE eco FT.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:27 pm 

Several on here in the past have bypassed the solenoid and reported it was their problem! It certainly is one of the very first things that should be tried when having any boost issues or any corresponding DTC's.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

rattle noise that comes and goes , like we see in video posted happened to me back in 2013 and it scared me so bad that i still dreaming about it , so it was not a boost issue LOL

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I've heard starters make a similar sound when the bendix retraction spring breaks. They can't pull fully away from the ring gear, and just sit there and whack away at it.

The inspection plug is right above the starter and towards the center of the vehicle.
A quick check would be one less thing to worry about, and checking the TC mounting bolts while there, is another item worth checking off the "possibles" list.
If the TC bolts have come loose, don't just re-tighten them. At the very least replace them with new, providing the flex plate isn't damaged.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:48 pm 
LOST Member

gt40freak wrote:
I used to think I would never get rid of it, but now I just want to fix it & send it down the road. Especially after hearing they are prone to throwing rods too.
I haven't heard many reports of these throwing rods. If you're referring to rankom's comment earlier in the thread, I think he was talking about what could happen if you ran it without oil pressure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:55 pm 
LOST Member

undrgnd wrote:
Hey Joe, can you elaborate on how and where to plum the guage.
The most common way would be to remove the oil pressure sending unit (located near the oil filter) and connect the gauge there. I'm not sure of the thread size, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

joe_ wrote:
I haven't heard many reports of these throwing rods. If you're referring to rankom's comment earlier in the thread, I think he was talking about what could happen if you ran it without oil pressure.

viewtopic.php?t=73834

Here's one thread about it. I have read others too. Also when looking for used engines all you find is parts. If I could find a whole engine with low miles to have as a spare I would feel better about keeping this Jeep at least another 10 years. With 160k on the clock if I keep it too long the resale will be nothing. When I bought it with 16k 10 years ago I never thought I would want to get rid of it. I know if I do, I will miss it. I am very sentimental about this thing because it has taken us to all edges of the US. To the Atlantic & Gulf a few times & even went through a tropical storm while we stayed on the beach. A 6500 mile round trip to the Pacific 2 months after we got it. Up to 14,000 feet twice in the same week. Once up Pikes Peak. The other was a moderately rough trail up Mount Antero. I really do want to keep it but don't know if it is the best move.

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just found out it has one really bad injector & the others aren't much better. He getting me a price for those then we'll see.

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

The mechanic said about $500 each for new. No remans available. I called two other diesel shops locally & thats what they say as well. Thats whats available online also. I want to do all of them but I cant afford it right now.

Does anyone have a set that works they could sell me? Preferably with low miles on them.

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:12 pm 
LOST Junkie

like i suggested to you i had same problem , TAKE THEM TO BOSCH fuel injection shop they are trained and they know what to do to help you >

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Im going to try a hot soak with SeaFoam today. If that don't work I'll be pulling them.

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:39 pm 
LOST Addict

How did the mechanic go about testing the injectors?

I'm not sure I agree with the hot soak method.
Seafoam is a solvent with poor luricating properties. I wouldnt want to run it straight through my CP3 and injectors. At least cut it with some diesel.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
gt40freak wrote:
The mechanic said about $500 each for new. No remans available. I called two other diesel shops locally & thats what they say as well. Thats whats available online also. I want to do all of them but I cant afford it right now.

Does anyone have a set that works they could sell me? Preferably with low miles on them.

Have you checked here?

NEW = https://oregonfuelinjection.com/shop/jeep-diesel/2005-2006-2-8-l-jeep-liberty-diesel/cr-injector-jeep-05-06-liberty/

REMAN = https://oregonfuelinjection.com/shop/jeep-diesel/2005-2006-2-8-l-jeep-liberty-diesel/rx-cr-inj-05-06-jeep-liberty/

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next