It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Black smoke & little power
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

They told me that some of the parameters are out of the recomended range. They are only barely out of the recomended range & shouldnt cause the problems I have. They also said if these parameters were further out that it would be smoking more at idle not so much under load.

"WISH LIST"
3" Rocky Road Rockfather lift kit
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C
Guage Pod w/ Pyro, Boost, Trans Temp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Good. You have ruled out the injectors.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 pm 
LOST Addict

I think you have already confimed that the turbo is working good with no boost leaks.
All thats left is the rocker arms.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

yeah ,thats why i said i did have bad idle and smoke , but rattle noise you have in your video on road test was identical to mine , and didn't have any broken rockers, so you are going to disassemble anyway so hope you will find that loose coins inside . so cutting oil filter , oil analyses , injector test etc all done before disassembly so you are doing it right .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

im lost on this video and sound your engine makes, i watch videos with rocker failures and people can't even drive it in 4 X 4 low range , but you manage to drive it no problem , I'm not saying is not rocker issue , but that noise going from good running engine and back to no good bothers me , if rocker is broken it stays broken , but this think goes back and fort with that rattle sound , I'm not doubting fuel shop test and it did pass 99% again I'm really looking forward to see what this noise is ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

rankom wrote:
im lost on this video and sound your engine makes, i watch videos with rocker failures and people can't even drive it in 4 X 4 low range , but you manage to drive it no problem , I'm not saying is not rocker issue , but that noise going from good running engine and back to no good bothers me , if rocker is broken it stays broken , but this think goes back and fort with that rattle sound , I'm not doubting fuel shop test and it did pass 99% again I'm really looking forward to see what this noise is ?

Thats why I haven't torn it down yet. I can't afford to go through the head & still need injectors. Also can't afford injectors & still need head work right now. Today I put the injectors back in. Then took it for a short drive. It didn't have much rattle but still not good power & smoked. Then I got thinking. There is a lot of sea foam & a little Conklin power d in the fuel. Or maybe it was bad fuel. I drained down to 1/8 tank & filled with 10 gal. Then 1/2 mile down the road its running a little worse with more rattle. This is where we usually fill up & is a high volume location. So I don't think its bad fuel. But all the additives might have been making it burn better.

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

great news , so i say park it till you get the funds to do it the way you want it . as long bottom end is good and i believe it is , so like you said head cylinder work - injectors , lift pump 2mic FF rockers , and all other parts you know the list is long , oh and the fancy gauges on dash i forgot about them , good luck , and no problem take your time , oooh get the fancy exhaust valves too , make it ready for next summer trip with your family .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

I getting my shopping list together. What is the max boost with GDE Eco & Hot Tune. I want to get a boost gauge that I wont max out & have to change if I ever go hot. But I don't want a gauge that I never get to half.

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:14 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/products/2005-2006-jeep-liberty-crd-combo-gauge-pod-boost-gauge/

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:56 am 

I installed a GlowShift 0-35 psig mechanical gauge because I like the ability of being able to change illumination colors at will. :wink:
I am running the Yeti Stage IV Hot tune along with an adjustable Power Puck and I can make 30 psig boost if I turn the PP up! Normally it peaks at ~25 psig during acceleration with PP set low...

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/tinted-7 ... ost-gauge/

ImageImage

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am thinking about this one. I could have boost egt & oil pressure all in one but it goes all the way up to 60psi.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/3in1-bla ... ure-gauge/

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:56 pm 

gt40freak wrote:
I am thinking about this one. I could have boost egt & oil pressure all in one but it goes all the way up to 60psi.

It would work, but is is a shame they don't make one in a smaller scale with the other functions!
:roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Has enyone used one of these? It connects to the OBDII port & can have additional sensors connected like EGT & oil pressure.

https://www.plxdevices.com/OBD-OBD2-OBD ... 002436.htm

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:15 am 
LOST Addict

gt40freak wrote:
Has enyone used one of these? It connects to the OBDII port & can have additional sensors connected like EGT & oil pressure.

There is a good chance it wouldn't pick up many signals through the obd. It also may not stay connected very long like people have experienced with the Bluetooth obd devices for torque pro.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

mass-hole wrote:
gt40freak wrote:

There is a good chance it wouldn't pick up many signals through the obd. It also may not stay connected very long like people have experienced with the Bluetooth obd devices for torque pro.

I thought that may be the case also. I emailed PLX to see if it could be used with their stand alone sensors only. They replied that it can function with stand alone sensors without being connected to OBD. The DM 100 is currently out of stock & it sounds like they're making some updates to it before starting production again. Their DM 6 uses only stand alone sensors & can have up to 16 sensors connected. It can be set up to have high or low warnings. I may get one.

http://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-O2-A ... 002368.htm

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

I going to check the oil pressure before I pop the top on this engine. I know I read somewhere that there are some plugs on the oil galley that can be used to connect an oil pressure gauge to. Anyone know where they are or what thread it was in?

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=74754 but Photobucket's change has killed the images so go to http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/ and grab a copy of my tech tips PDF; scroll down thru the bookmarks to "DIY installation of oil pressure gauge in main oil gallery" for a copy of the post with images.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:23 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
gt40freak wrote:

I dont think crd has an oil pressure sensor, so I doubt you can read it through obd2 port...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:29 pm 
LOST Addict

gt40freak wrote:
I going to check the oil pressure before I pop the top on this engine. I know I read somewhere that there are some plugs on the oil galley that can be used to connect an oil pressure gauge to. Anyone know where they are or what thread it was in?
You can remove the oil sensor on the oil filter housing and plug your own. I have never done it since I added a sandwich plate to measure the pressure and temperature, but you may find it from the fsm or parts fiche. If you're planning in adding gauges, then best would be to just get your choice of oil pressure and install it before, you can use a sandwich plate (easiest) or use your own choice for where to install it.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just went to the auto parts store & got a 1/8" street T & a mechanical OP gauge. I put everything where the original OP switch is.

It idles at about 28psi. When reved to 2k it gets to about 80psi as shown in this video.

https://youtu.be/ErcBFrmkD7M

Is this normal? My 5.9 Cummins stays at about 38psi no mater the engine speed.

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next