It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: un confuse me please, elephant hose mod
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:11 pm 
LOST Member

I have been seeing different things about this mod lately. some say it is not necessary, some say you can blow seals with the mod. so what is the low down on this mod. do you need it if you have a gde tune since the egr is pretty much disabled?

dazed and confused

Post subject: Re: un confuse me please, elephant hose mod
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:04 pm 
LOST Member

It is NOT highly recommended anymore. Many people have had problems with main seals using the EHM.

With the EGR disabled, you have done 90% of what the EHM was meant to prevent. If you're worried about the little bit of oil that is still entering your intake from the CCV, install a Provent system instead. It keeps the same function as the OEM CCV but removes the oil from the air tract. It needs to be emptied occasionally, but it is quick and easy to do.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Some owners think its a really bad idea and will blow out the rear main seal. Some owners like myself have run it for over a decade without issues. Decide whats best for you, no EHM, EHM, or provent.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:21 pm 
LOST Member

I switched from the EHM to the provent about 7 months ago. I'm not sure why, but I seem to be burning less oil. It used to be a consistent 0.5 qt for every 2500 miles, now it doesn't seem to be less than 0.25 qts for the last 2000 miles.

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:12 am 
LOST Addict

This is my provent setup.

The issue with the EHM is that the crankcase actually needs some sort of negative pressure pull crankcase gasses out.
Diesel engines naturally have a lot of blowby due to the high compression ratio. And the vacuum pump in the block is actually pumping into the crankcase. (vacuum outside the block, pressure inside the block)
The factory CCV puck on top of the valve cover is not adequate for natural venting of pressure to atmosphere.

I've ran several versions of CCV setups. Factory stock setup, EHM, EHM with catch can, and finally the full provent setup seen in the picture above.
Before I completed the above setup I had a very noticeable rear main seal leak. Engine oil spread all over the trans pan and crossmember.
Now that I have a proper CCV setup w/provent, the leak has almost completely stopped. Trans pan is dry. Just a drip hanging from the bottom of the bellhousing that doesn't seem to want to drop.

Last edited by flash7210 on Fri May 26, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:24 am 

When you got some time, please read through this thread:> http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80491
It is kinda long, but it certainly will fully educate you on the reasoning as to why this particular engine CCV setup and design requires a closed loop setup for proper operation! It is somewhat unique in its design!

In short; the vacuum pump discharges directly into the engine crankcase and requires by design the additional suction or vacuum by being plumbed to the turbo inlet. The addition of a ProVent coalescing filter simply filters out and allows removal of any liquids captured that is contained in the CCV gasses leaving the engine and therefore keeps them out of the CAC (intercooler) where they can collect in the bottom of the cooler. The CCV vapors/gasses pass through the ProVent and onto the intake where they are harmlessly burned by the engine! :roll:

Keeping CCV liquids/oil out of the turbo intake rubber boot with the use of a ProVent filter also helps to keep it from rotting out due to oil contamination which will make it last much longer! :wink:
But as Sam stated, it is your engine, after you have educated yourself on the matter, make your own choices with which you are most comfortable!!! :5SHOTS:

:SOMBRERO:

My ProVent Setup:
ProVent at far left in picture!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:15 pm 
LOST Member

Can we remove the CCV puck all together and just run grommets and 90 deg fittings, into the catch can /provent????

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:00 pm 
LOST Member

Bushman5 wrote:
Can we remove the CCV puck all together and just run grommets and 90 deg fittings, into the catch can /provent????
I think the CCV puck does help separate the oil droplets from the crankcase gases somewhat. You'd probably have to empty the Provent more often. Plus I don't see grommets and 90 degree fittings staying in place as securely as the bolted-down CCV puck. Why do you want to remove it?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Bushman5 wrote:

Perhaps a better question is "Should we. . . "
I am unaware of the ccv puck doing anything harmful. It's not in my way. The only thing it blocks is resonating pulses from getting back inside the crankcase.
I don't know for sure if removing it would be particularly harmful, but neither can I see any benefit, so as for me, I'd vote to just leave it alone.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:37 am 

Puff, Puff, Puff, goes the engine on the inside! The puck is sortof like a one way check valve, it allows the gases out but prevents them from re-entering...
It is there by design, I would not recommend removing it; only adding a ProVent to catch the liquids! :wink:

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount