It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Passenger window rolls down only
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All,

I've been wracking my brain over the last 2 weeks on my CRD. 2 weeks ago, I was driving with the driver and passenger windows halfway down, then I decided to roll them up as I was merging onto the highway...but the passenger one didnt roll up. down works fine...

I thought maybe my regulator clippy thing broke...but the glass is still solidly attached. When i got home I pulled the switch and tested it per the FSM, it tested bad...so i ordered a new OEM one.

In the meantime I was troubleshooting the rest of the components, when I apply 12v directly to the window motor, the window rolls up and down as I reverse the polarity just like you'd expect. So I think its safe to say that the window motor and regulator are fine.

So the new switch came in today and I popped it in thinking it'd be a happy day! But alas....same deal...down only.

I pulled the door panel again and this time put the multimeter on the window motor plug and hit the switch...0v when i press it up...and 12v down WTF???!?

Is there some other component that may be on the fritz here? I heard the BCM controls windows in some way...could a bad BCM cause a single window to fail in one direction only??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Post subject: Re: Passenger window rolls down only
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I recently went through this problem on a friends grand cherokee.
Switches were good.
Motors were good.
Wires in the door frame harness were broken.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
I recently went through this problem on a friends grand cherokee.
Switches were good.
Motors were good.
Wires in the door frame harness were broken.

But if the wires in the doorframe are broken, then it wouldn't work at all right? Since the same 2 wires are used for up and down...just reversing the current?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Inspected the wiring harness in the door, no obvious signs of damaged wires...looks like it'll have to take a trip to the stealership for diagnosis​.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:26 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey Slvdc1, I'm having the exact same problem. Did you ever find a fix?

2009 VW Jetta TDI (totaled)
2006 Ford F-350 diesel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:56 am 
LOST Newbie

five7driver wrote:
Hey Slvdc1, I'm having the exact same problem. Did you ever find a fix?

No! The Jeep has been in storage while I was abroad so I haven't had a change to dig into this further...until yesterday.

I picked up a replacement regulator and plugged it in to test...same issue; only rolls down and not up.

So I took another look at the wires in the door jamb and completely removed the rubber boot and probed the connectors. The wiring in the hinge is fine. I get the same result from the door jamb connector as I do at the window motor connector: 12V in one direction and 0.5v in the other direction using the master window switch.

I looked up the wiring harness and I'm now working on a theory that the wire used for going up must be shorted to ground (which would explain how I fried my prior window switch)

I'm going to pull the front passenger seat tonight and pull back the carpeting for further diagnosis. I have a feeling that the wiring harness was accidentally pinched under the passenger seat when I was doing that swap from KK seats :shock:

Have you had any luck?

Best,
Shane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Fixed! :BANANA:

The issue was the new seat had a sharp bolt protruding down which pierced the return wire and grounded it.

The bolt:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MWyEKmUr6EEJkRhm8

The damage:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DNMtFB13Moy8adF69

I ground down a bit more than 1/4" from that bolt, repaired the damaged wires and re-positioned the harness slightly...everything works! I hope I took the bolt down enough to prevent further interference...time will tell.

Now I just have to figure out why the window rolls up/down so slowly. Possible dry tracks (wasn't used for 2 years) or maybe the regulator needs alignment?

Thanks all!

EDIT: adding the URLs not sure why the images don't show up :s