It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stage 1 & 2 kit installed (with issues)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:55 am 
LOST Member

Just recently purchased the Weeks 1 & 2 kit. Have some issues unrelated to the kit. This is a full day job doing both by the way! DO NOT attempt this if you are not mechanically inclined!!! Didn't help that I had to redo a bunch of wiring looms that were brittle with a lot of exposed wires. Also my intake manifold was seriously caked with soot and spent an hour or two scraping and wire brushing and vacuuming to get it half way decent (140k of buildup). On a side not though the instructions call for possible issues with removing the factory inner front intake elbow bolt. Make it easy and leave it till last. use a short extension to break it loose then rotate the whole elbow to gain access to it. then it's easy to get to. Now for my issue (kinda a witch session per se) The steel EGR manifold bolts (removed on the stage 2 kit) go into an aluminum block. Now I don't know how the factory installs these but I bought this Libby because a dealership recently installed a new timing belt, EGR cooler and EGR valve. What chaps my butt is the idiots not only didn't retorque the a bunch of bolts causing boost leaks but reinstalled these EGR manifold bolts dry with NO never cease. NEVER install a steel bolt into an aluminum anything dry unless you don't EVER want it to come out. There is an electrolysis that occurs between the two differing metals that weld them together! something as simple as a drop of oil will greatly help. Now I have ONE bold holding on my entire EGR assembly that has the head stripped off it (after breaking two Craftsman 10 mm sockets the 3rd one just stripped the head) and after about 6 hours of futile attempts I will either need to pull the transmission so I can torch the head off or leave it there for all eternity. Since I just had the tranny rebuilt last week it will probably be the ladder.

Fshew! I feel better...

Post subject: Re: Stage 1 & 2 kit installed (with issues)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:34 am 

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
Just recently purchased the Weeks 1 & 2 kit. Have some issues unrelated to the kit. This is a full day job doing both by the way! DO NOT attempt this if you are not mechanically inclined!!! Didn't help that I had to redo a bunch of wiring looms that were brittle with a lot of exposed wires. Also my intake manifold was seriously caked with soot and spent an hour or two scraping and wire brushing and vacuuming to get it half way decent (140k of buildup). On a side not though the instructions call for possible issues with removing the factory inner front intake elbow bolt. Make it easy and leave it till last. use a short extension to break it loose then rotate the whole elbow to gain access to it. then it's easy to get to. Now for my issue (kinda a witch session per se) The steel EGR manifold bolts (removed on the stage 2 kit) go into an aluminum block. Now I don't know how the factory installs these but I bought this Libby because a dealership recently installed a new timing belt, EGR cooler and EGR valve. What chaps my butt is the idiots not only didn't retorque the a bunch of bolts causing boost leaks but reinstalled these EGR manifold bolts dry with NO never cease. NEVER install a steel bolt into an aluminum anything dry unless you don't EVER want it to come out. There is an electrolysis that occurs between the two differing metals that weld them together! something as simple as a drop of oil will greatly help. Now I have ONE bold holding on my entire EGR assembly that has the head stripped off it (after breaking two Craftsman 10 mm sockets the 3rd one just stripped the head) and after about 6 hours of futile attempts I will either need to pull the transmission so I can torch the head off or leave it there for all eternity. Since I just had the tranny rebuilt last week it will probably be the ladder.

Fshew! I feel better...

Got a picture? :wink:
of the bolt that is!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:12 pm 
LOST Member

My intake before chiseling out the crud.

Here's the picture of the stripped bolt head. Do you want a picture of the broken sockets too? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:07 pm 
LOST Member

Heat up the head really good let it cool, then use one of these!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:44 pm 
LOST Member

Tried that. Didn't work. Those sockets don't work unless you can hammer them on for a bite. This bolt is in a ridiculously tight spot. even with an air ratchet and applying as much pressure as possible they would just spin. Someone told me that a gator grip socket would work but at this stage in the game I'm not concerned because the Libby is put back together.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:10 am 
LOST Addict

I would grind the head of the bolt off along with however much of the EGR flange it took that got in the way its no good to you now (as if an EGR valve/cooler was ever GOOD to anyone anyway) BTW if you want an undamaged EGR you can have one of mine.

Once you have head of bolt ground off pull egr assembly off of it and decide whether or not u want to wrestle with the rest of the bolt or just leave it there its not hurting anything.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:11 am 
LOST Addict

I would grind the head of the bolt off along with however much of the EGR flange it took that got in the way its no good to you now (as if an EGR valve/cooler was ever GOOD to anyone anyway) BTW if you want an undamaged EGR you can have one of mine.

Once you have head of bolt ground off pull egr assembly off of it and decide whether or not u want to wrestle with the rest of the bolt or just leave it there its not hurting anything.

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:34 am 
LOST Addict

BTW I believe the block is steel but i may be wrong I think I checked when in there and it was magnetic. I am pretty confident that the head is aluminum and I know the valve cover is aluminum.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:28 pm 
LOST Member

Can't get a grinder in there. Too tight.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

if you don't have torch , there is a mobile welder guy that you can probably find in your area and that can heat up that bolt and remove it ,, but again it will cost you some money , just for that service .so i say get some heat in there ,don't burn the JEEP lol