It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cummins crate 2.8
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:49 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
aaronguy2k1 wrote:
Might as well be 10k, you still need engine mounts and a transmission adapter. Go get 3 4BTs

Yeah that weigh twice as much as what you got in your CRD right now and makes 90-110hp in stock form,be prepared to spend upwards of $20,000+ to get a 4BT to work in your computer controlled vehicle.

Why are you worried about computer controls?
The 4BT doesn't need a computer and if you back it up with a manual transmission, no special computers are needed. Or, use a standalone 4L80E, E4OD, or 47RE automatic and all you need is a computer for the trans and a way for it to know throttle position.
Then ditch the ABS system for regular brakes and replace all the gauges with standard electric/mechanical AutoMeter gauges.
Yes, its a hell of a lot of work but can still be done for well under $10K.
Granted, none of this is well suited for a Jeep Liberty but would work great in a full-size Bronco, F150, or other LARGE off-road vehicle.

IMO, if you want a diesel powered Liberty, get a 05-06 Jeep Liberty CRD and take good care of the engine and learn how to fix it when it breaks.
If you want some other kind of non-DEF/DPF off-road diesel, get an older non-computer controlled truck/SUV and build it with whatever engine you like.
If you want a new, comfortable, 50-state compliant, diesel powered Jeep, get the Grand Cherokee ECO-diesel or wait for the Wrangler diesel to become available.

(If I were going to spend $9K on a NEW diesel engine, the rest of the vehicle better look just as good as that shiny new engine. But then I would have the equivalent of a SHOW car/truck and would never be able to enjoy it the way I want to. It would be a better value to just get a new or lightly used diesel truck or SUV with a warranty.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:27 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
aaronguy2k1 wrote:
Might as well be 10k, you still need engine mounts and a transmission adapter. Go get 3 4BTs

Yeah that weigh twice as much as what you got in your CRD right now and makes 90-110hp in stock form,be prepared to spend upwards of $20,000+ to get a 4BT to work in your computer controlled vehicle.

The 4BT doesn't need a computer and if you back it up with a manual transmission, no special computers are needed. Or, use a standalone 4L80E, E4OD, or 47RE automatic and all you need is a computer for the trans and a way for it to know throttle position.
Then ditch the ABS system for regular brakes and replace all the gauges with standard electric/mechanical AutoMeter gauges.
Granted, none of this is well suited for a Jeep Liberty but would work great in a full-size Bronco, F150, or other LARGE off-road vehicle.

IMO, if you want a diesel powered Liberty, get a 05-06 Jeep Liberty CRD and take good care of the engine and learn how to fix it when it breaks.
If you want some other kind of non-DEF/DPF off-road diesel, get an older non-computer controlled truck/SUV and build it with whatever engine you like.
If you want a new, comfortable, 50-state compliant, diesel powered Jeep, get the Grand Cherokee ECO-diesel or wait for the Wrangler diesel to become available.

(If I were going to spend $9K on a NEW diesel engine, the rest of the vehicle better look just as good as that shiny new engine. But then I would have the equivalent of a SHOW car/truck and would never be able to enjoy it the way I want to. It would be a better value to just get a new or lightly used diesel truck or SUV with a warranty.)

I am afraid what the price of the wrangler diesel will be. A rubicon unlimited is already $38k and that's cloth seats and a crappy radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
If you're really interested in that kind of swap, better to use Cummins ISF 3.8L.

http://www.dieselarmy.com/news/video-clean-3-8l-ifs-cummins-conversion-looks-factory/

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

flash7210 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
aaronguy2k1 wrote:

While no the engine will not need the computers if you still want anything in the interior to work you will need to work around the missing PCM/ECM/TCM.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Other than the dash, the interior should all be controlled by the BCM which is the back of the fuse box. No problem.

The biggest issue is the size. The 4BT is enormous and too tall for the body. Just because it doesn't make a lot of HP just means that it isn't fast - for something that is destined for off-road use, acceleration isn't the desire, torque is. The 4BT has gobs of that, but same problem: It won't fit in the body. You'd have to lift the hood about 6 inches and even that is with lowering the block.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
Other than the dash, the interior should all be controlled by the BCM which is the back of the fuse box. No problem.

The biggest issue is the size. The 4BT is enormous and too tall for the body. Just because it doesn't make a lot of HP just means that it isn't fast - for something that is destined for off-road use, acceleration isn't the desire, torque is. The 4BT has gobs of that, but same problem: It won't fit in the body. You'd have to lift the hood about 6 inches and even that is with lowering the block.

Many inputs from the PCM/ECM are required for most of the interior items to function,mostly the IC.