It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ongoing P0299 underboost problems
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:08 am 
LOST Newbie

Can you tell me where I can get the camshaft pulley holding spanned tool? I guess I assumed what came in the tool rental kit from sasquatch had everything I needed? Thanks.

Sasquatch Upgraded turbo w/ new Inlet hose
Sasquatch EGR Delete Kit
Mishimoto Hoses
ETECNO 7V Glow Plugs
PCV Valve
Vacuum Modulator and Solenoid
Mass Airflow Sens
IAP Sens
MAP Sens
Vacuum lines all checked
Intercooler cleaned and leak checked
Provent Install
CAT removal w/ new exhaust

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
It's possible that it does, but when I rented, it wasn't included. You shouldn't use the pulley locating "holder" to hold while torquing. They aren't built strong enough for that.

You can rent from any auto parts place that rents tools, or check harbor freight, or ebay if you want to buy one. There are a couple different designs.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lisle-Univeral-Cam-Adjuster/19252430?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1413&adid=22222222227016751710&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52571115311&wl4=pla-84449960711&wl5=9033002&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113139785&wl11=online&wl12=19252430&wl13=&veh=sem
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kent-Moore-J-34836-Cam-Sprocket-Holder-Holding-Tool-/272536004495

Whatever you get, rent, or buy, make sure it has the long holding pins.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok.

Thanks for the advice

Any idea where I can find the torque specs for this project?

Gonna start tearing it apart this week after work and hope to get it all done by next week.

Sasquatch EGR Delete Kit
Mishimoto Hoses
ETECNO 7V Glow Plugs
PCV Valve
Mass Airflow Sens
IAP Sens
MAP Sens
Vacuum lines all checked
Provent Install

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:11 pm 

mattbucher wrote:
Ok.
Thanks for the advice
Any idea where I can find the torque specs for this project?
Gonna start tearing it apart this week after work and hope to get it all done by next week.

See starting on page 9 - 247 in the FSM for instructions and torque values. :wink:
2005JeepKJServiceManual.pdf

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:49 pm 
LOST Addict

I haven't ever cleaned or tested my intercooler. But it seems if you are going to do a pressure test there is no need to remove it, unless you are going to do the timing belt from the front method . I save a lot of time doing it from above and doing the fan shroud mod before removing the fan the first time.

I am sure if cleaning it out you may want to remove the intercooler.

Also you can use my inner tube air valve method to test for intercooler leak .

Just clamp piece of old inner tube over outlet or actually either side. Clamp piece of inner tube with air filler stem (shredder valve ) in it over other end and apply air pressure.

Just my :2cents:

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:50 pm 

mattbucher wrote:
Can you tell me where I can get the camshaft pulley holding spanned tool? I guess I assumed what came in the tool rental kit from sasquatch had everything I needed? Thanks.

You can make a homemade one out of two pieces of 1/8" thick flat stock 24" long, that can be bought at any Hardware store or Lowes or Home Depot.
Drill a 7/16" hole in each end, bolt the two pieces together at one end with a bolt, and install a 1&1/2" bolt in length and a nut on the other two ends. Tighten them up good and tight!
You will need to get bolts that are threaded all the way up to the bolts' head! Hardware stores have them!

This will make a "V" shaped tool that you can stick the bolt ends into the holes in the cam sprocket one at a time and hold it while you loosen or torque the cam bolt.
Be sure and have the cam alignment pins OUT of the cams while performing either loosening or torquing operations!

Edit: let me clarify this, The cam alignment pins should be in place when first tightening the cam sprocket bolt down just snugly enough while using the sprocket holding tool so it will not slip on the cam.
Once you have it tightened the cam sprocket bolts down snugly so they will not move, then remove the alignment pins from the cams for final torquing to 80 ft. lbs.

Your homemade tool should end looking like something similar to this:

Most of the big box auto parts stores also rent cam sprocket holding tools like this one:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Judging from the number of sensors some of us replace that often end up not being the cause but can't be returned after bought

I might be willing to see if I could get a set of most of the sensors to loan for just a deposit for members to see if they r the problem .

Then they would be able to prove which sensors ( if any ) are bad before buying them.

Think there would be any interest? Deposit would be whatever it would cost to replace them if not returned. I should have almost all from salvage jeep and I could check on a running jeep to make sure they are functional.

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:57 pm 
LOST Addict

You can also use two allen wrenches instead of the pin wrench or spanner tool and you can make the cam pins and crank pin from bolts or you can grind down allen wrench for crank pin and make the long holder tool ww diesel outlined and pictured and not have to rent or buy anything but three bolts some nuts and bolts and flat steel as long as you have or buy a grinder, drill, drill bits ,vise and maybe a caliper. All these are relatively cheap at harbor freight and lowes. You also don't have to wait on them to be shipped to you and you have them the next time,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Finally...an update!

Unfortunately the IAP sensor replacement did not fix my underboost code.

Thanks for torque specs.

I have spent some time with the service manual link and also found them there.

I did purchase the gates camshaft sprocket holding tool for like $35

I am doing the replacement from front method. Draining radiator now. Used a 5/16 clear hose to oil drain pan...worked great. No mess.

Think I have an inner cooler leak. A lot of oil on inner cooler and a patch through the transmission cooler too?

What is best to clean out my mishimoto inner cooler hoses? Ok to use dawn and water on the hoses and inner cooler? Or can you recommend a specific cleaning agent??

I have some pictures to post. Can't figure out how?

Also one of my transmission lines that goes into bottom passenger side of inner cooler looks terrible. Is that ok? Worth trying to replace? I'll post pics if someone can offer some advice.

Sorry but am new to this.

-matt

Sasquatch EGR Delete Kit
Mishimoto Hoses
ETECNO 7V Glow Plugs
PCV Valve
Mass Airflow Sens
IAP Sens
MAP Sens
Vacuum lines all checked
Provent Install

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:48 pm 
LOST Addict

You cleared the codes after making the change? Not all codes will self-clear.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes. I cleared codes.

On my OBD scanner (I have a BlueDriver code scanner) it shows it back in pending codes P0299...and usually after driving more than a day (I drove about 25 miles today after clearing it...it moves to confirmed codes)...along with the two that still show after my EGR delete...

Hoping cleaning intercooler and fixing any leaks if present will work?

Not sure where to go if that doesn't?

Any thoughts on just moving forward with GDE eco tune even if I can't get P0299 to clear?

Any ideas about vacuum readings to wastegate at idle at 14in Hg and when manual vacuuum applied at 27in Hg the boost stays at 30-35 with no underboost code? I have replaced vacuum control module, vacuum solenoid, and vacuum line to wastegate. Maybe I got a bad vacuum control module?

One other question...should I really start my engine after timing belt is replaced to see if it sounds right before hooking everything back up? The video shows doing it before reassembling everything?

My new thermostat rattles a little when I turn it over. Is that normal?

Also just wanting to see it I can use dawn soap and water for intercooler cleaning and hose cleaning??? Or a brand of industrial degreaser you recommend to use?

Thank you very much!

Sasquatch EGR Delete Kit
Mishimoto Hoses
ETECNO 7V Glow Plugs
PCV Valve
Mass Airflow Sens
IAP Sens
MAP Sens
Vacuum lines all checked
Provent Install

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:23 am 
LOST Newbie

One more quick question.

When I replace the front water pump the post says use grease to hold o ring in place.

What kind of grease should go on the o ring in water pump?

Thanks

Sasquatch EGR Delete Kit
Mishimoto Hoses
ETECNO 7V Glow Plugs
PCV Valve
Mass Airflow Sens
IAP Sens
MAP Sens
Vacuum lines all checked
Provent Install

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 am 
LOST Addict

Last question first, and I'm sure someone will have a differing opinion, but for such things my go-to is
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-92003-Lubricating-Translucent/dp/B0081JE0OO/ref=pd_sim_328_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0081JE0OO&pd_rd_r=S0EKCCKD85NXS0XRT5MM&pd_rd_w=1S5OX&pd_rd_wg=juL47&psc=1&refRID=S0EKCCKD85NXS0XRT5MM.
If I don't have that option, I've been known to use lithium grease or even petroleum jelly in an extreme pinch.

I would definitely check with GDE before going forward. I suspect they might want the code to be cleared first, so there's no causal confusion.

I have to admit you had me back-reading with that wastegate mention.
Your 2006 should have Variable Geometry Technology rather than a wastegate.
Also at idle, the boost should be no where close to 30-35psig.
If fact, if stock, I think it shouldn't go much over 22-23 at full throttle and maximum torque. (and I welcome all the experts to correct me if this is wrong) and unless programmed to ignore the condition, it should be showing an overboost condition if it's at 30-35psig.

Regarding the timing belt, I reassembled the belt and triple checked that everything was properly torqued that was supposed to be.
Then when all timing pins were out, turned it over by hand at least a dozen times with the injectors out to make sure there wasn't any binding.
Then installed the injectors but left them unplugged, and cranked it over for a few 10 second runs, to check that compression was even, and no obvious external leaks (injectors and glow plugs), and that the oil pressure was good.

Only after all that, then I proceeded to fire it up, but (because of the wiring problem) It wouldn't run as long as the You Tube videos, but it was enough to let me know all was well timing-wise, so then I proceeded to put the timing belt cover on, etc.

RE thermostat: Mine not only had a bit of a rattle, when it was installed, if I leaned over the engine with my hand on the outlet, there was an obvious movement of the crimped on top as the o-ring inside was compressed. When I noticed, I quit doing that. :lol: Whether it's normal or not, I don't know.

For cleaning out my intercooler, I cleaned it out of the vehicle, front facing down, and over the course of a month, went through roughly a quart of Dawn Heavy Duty Degreaser, and over 4 gallons of Super Clean. (plus a small swimming pool worth of water)
I also used 2 T-handle clam guns, and a couple of pickup inner tubes to alternate pressure and vacuum on the inlet and outlet to make a kind of washing machine effect.
The only ultrasonic cleaners around were at Radiator shops, and there was no way they were going to allow that thing in their tanks, since it had been completely filled with what was once Motor Oil.
I stopped when it sat full in the sun for a day without having an oil-slick at the water's surface.
Once clean, though, they were happy to charge me $20 to pressure test it, and put that special black radiator paint all over it.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:19 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks!

- Hopefully I can find the super lube locally somewhere. If not I'll just use the lithium grease.

- I did check with GDE and Keith said to fix underboost before the tune. But am wondering if I am ever going to get past the underboost code at this point? After I got the intercooler out of the car it looked good visually? There is a lot of oil buildup all over the passenger side of where the intercooler stack is...but wonder if that is more from a prior failing hose?

- Still not sure if the rusted looking transmission connect on passenger side of AC/transmission cooler is anything to worry about at this point? I have pics but can't get them in this thread?

- I also found on passenger side by radiator electric fan area an unused electrical connector to something? Thought maybe an accessory my Liberty Sport doesn't have. It was caked with oil residue. So not even sure it would work at this point...but any ideas?

- Sorry to use wastegate terminology but the two mechanics I have dealt with both used that word a lot and so it stuck. They were not familiar with the VGT turbos.

- The boost pressure at idle was showing 20-21...so sounds like my turbo and vacuum control module with new vacuum solenoid are good? at higher rpm it did get to 30-35...so the mechanic must have thought he found a problem but didn't actually find a problem. He did tell me he wasn't sure if that was just normal for this turbo. But when he said he had no clue that was my sign to get it back and just start trying to work through it in my own.

- I will try and get some super clean detergent.

- Tracking down a large crescent wrench. The biggest I have is tge 300mm...and just a little too small...so hopefully will get the clutch bokt off and keep moving with everything tonight.

- I did get a new fan clutch from sasquatch

Thanks and I'll get pics on here if someone can help me figure out the procedure?

Sasquatch EGR Delete Kit
Mishimoto Hoses
ETECNO 7V Glow Plugs
PCV Valve
Mass Airflow Sens
IAP Sens
MAP Sens
Vacuum lines all checked
Provent Install

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:53 am 
LOST Addict

Quote:
The boost pressure at idle was showing 20-21...

Boost pressure at idle should zero or almost zero.
Or if you are at high altitude it might even be less than zero.

While at idle, vacuum to the turbo actuator is high. Meaning that even while at idle the turbo is set to high boost.
But, while at idle, boost is very low (almost zero) because there is not enough exhaust flow to spin up the turbo.

So, if at idle your MAP sensor is showing a value of 20 psi, there is a problem with your MAP sensor.
If the MAP sensor has already been replaced, then the problem is with the wiring to the MAP sensor.
(The MAP sensor is on top of the intake manifold, next to the fuel rail.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:14 am 

flash7210 wrote:
Quote:
The boost pressure at idle was showing 20-21...

Boost pressure at idle should zero or almost zero.
Or if you are at high altitude it might even be less than zero.

While at idle, vacuum to the turbo actuator is high. Meaning that even while at idle the turbo is set to high boost.
But, while at idle, boost is very low (almost zero) because there is not enough exhaust flow to spin up the turbo.

So, if at idle your MAP sensor is showing a value of 20 psi, there is a problem with your MAP sensor.
If the MAP sensor has already been replaced, then the problem is with the wiring to the MAP sensor.
(The MAP sensor is on top of the intake manifold, next to the fuel rail.)

I agree with everything Flash stated!
I am very surprised that you are not getting a "P0234 - Turbocharger Engine Overboost" code having that much boost showing at idle and going up to 30-35 while driving. :shock:
Got to be something very wrong in the MAP circuit or sensor! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:22 am 
LOST Newbie

I am only going off what the diesel mechanic said about the idle boost pressure...he may have meant at low rpm and not idle it was 20-21...but not sure. We didn't really end things on good terms given he had it for 2 weeks and couldn't help me at all but wanted a lot of money in diagnostic labor.

I have replaced TWO MAP sensors...one before the EGR delete was done and another after the EGR just to see if it would help with the code and figured having a spare would not be a bad thing either.

I will try and check with the mechanic to see if the idle boost pressure was 21 or if this was just at low RPM as it was spooling up. I know that he said the vacuum reading was low at 14inHg and when he used a manual vacuum instead of the modulator to put 27inHg the underboost issue seemed to disappear?

I'll let you know what I find out...but how would I check wiring to MAP sensor?

Thanks.

Sasquatch EGR Delete Kit
Mishimoto Hoses
ETECNO 7V Glow Plugs
PCV Valve
Mass Airflow Sens
IAP Sens
MAP Sens
Vacuum lines all checked
Provent Install

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:29 am 
LOST Addict

As mentioned before, with a stock tune, max boost is about 22psi.
A sustained boost pressure higher than that would set an overboost code.

Quote:
...but how would I check wiring to MAP sensor?

Well, check the connector to make sure its tight.
Check the wires for worn insulation and frayed wires.
Check for any wire splices that the previous owner might have done.

If you had a tool that provided live sensor data (i.e torquepro for android) you could wiggle the wires to see if that caused changes to the sensor readings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry - didn't know if there was something else to check with the wiring specifically to MAP. After I get the timing belt done and it all back together I'll work on checking the wiring with it running and my OBD tool (it lets me check live data).

I will also try and clarify with the mechanic who did the vacuum and boost testing if the 14 inHg and 20-21 boost pressure was at idle.

Thanks for the help.

Sasquatch EGR Delete Kit
Mishimoto Hoses
ETECNO 7V Glow Plugs
PCV Valve
Mass Airflow Sens
IAP Sens
MAP Sens
Vacuum lines all checked
Provent Install

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
2. The ECU is looking at absolute pressure. That is, ambient air pressure + turbo boost
If ambient pressure is 14psi and turbo boost is 21psi, then that equals 35psi.

With a stock tune, a max boost of 20-22psi is normal.
So it seems the turbo is doing its job.

OOPS! Thanks for reminding us Flash. If you are reading pressures from your OBD scanner tool, then it's reading psia not psig.

So with the new turbo being as it should be, we need to be checking the Vacuum, starting at it's source behind and below the fuel injection pump to determine if sufficient vacuum and volume are available there, and continue downstream one step at a time until the vacuum is insufficient. There are a few places along the firewall that the vacuum tube can get overheated and collapse on it's self, limiting or blocking the vacuum / volume to the reservoir and turbo actuator. Power brake diaphragms have also been known to leak, which not only limits the vacuum to your turbo control, but also vents way too much volume into the crankcase, through the PCV and into the pre-turbo airway.

With multiple MAP sensors agreeing, the problem is unlikely to be there, but make sure to check anyway.

Also, it's helpful to those trying to help, to know where you are located, (profile) and year of your rig and what major mods have been done (your first post has the year, but without it in your signature, we have to go back and read all the posts again. Even knowing what side is passenger or driver could be changed depending on where you are located.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next