It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WMI water methanol injection, who has tried it?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:46 pm 
LOST Member

I've been trying to figure out how to keep things cool when towing up hill, after a bit of reading it looks like this may be the ticket, it seems the quick evaporating alcahol reduces air charge temp while if you stick with straight water it tends to vaporize at the point of ignition and both keeps things cooler and the expansion of the vaporizing h2o provides a small boost in power.

At first I considered injecting before the IC to reduce air temp and increase the radiators cooling ability, however I'm not sure how the expansion of methanol that would be used for this location would be offset by the contraction of the air cooling down.

The second option was 100% h2o after the IC in hopes this would reduce EGTs, cool the turbo, and reduce air charge temps, there by increasing density and o2 levels for better fuel burn.

If anyone has experience, what size nozzle have you used? I have seen references to this discussion but I haven't found much in detail.

I will probably buy a devils own kit as previous experience has led to them and I can't put a similar quality kit together myself for much less.

Post subject: Re: WMI water methanol injection, who has tried it?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:12 pm 
LOST Member

I dug around some and found this new in box intended for my diesel suburban

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/uni ... ge-2a.html

My thought was building a plate to fit at the intake to the intake manifold with an extra port for boost gauge.

I haven't decided on where to put a tank, the 1 gallon windshield tank wouldn't last long on long grades.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:51 pm 
LOST Addict

How hot is your intake air temperature getting?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:45 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
How hot is your intake air temperature getting?

Jeez, I guess I should know these things before I open my ... keyboard?

Let's just say temp wise on hills it behaves more like my old non intercooled 6.5 suburban than my intercooled 6.6 duramax, 1999 and 2001 respectively. I recently upgraded the exhaust to 2.5" MBRP and that helped quite a bit, not quite all the way though. I'd like to be able to sustain grades without overheating, I'm installing my 3 way egt boost trans temp gauge soon, I wish I had it installed before exhaust change to see the difference.

And I ordered some 3/4" aluminum spacer to make a plate to install wmi nozzle and boost sensor for the gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:50 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/products/snow-performance-power-max-water-methanol-system-for-ecodiesel/

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:15 am 
LOST Member

im trying to wrap my head around how this works? water and methanol are injected into the intake? does this not mix with all the oil and create sludge? the intake elbow goes right into the top of the valves , full of oil.......

>???????????????

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:38 am 
LOST Member

Bushman5 wrote:
im trying to wrap my head around how this works? water and methanol are injected into the intake? does this not mix with all the oil and create sludge? the intake elbow goes right into the top of the valves , full of oil.......

>???????????????

It goes into the intake, I don't have oil in my intake, it is the carbon from the egr that builds up in the intake, I "fixed" my egr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:25 am 
LOST Addict

If the problem is with high intake air temperature, water-methanol injection will definitely cool the intake air, allow you to run more boost, and give you more power.

If the problem is with your engine cooling system getting too hot, water-meth wont help at all.

If you have the Weeks elbow you can easily drill and tap the pipe and install fittings for the nozzle and boost gauge.

I'm assuming you have already deleted your egr valve. What ECM tune are you using?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:55 am 
LOST Junkie

If your engine coolant temp is overheating going upgrade then I'd suspect you have something else going on.

But about the methanol, I've been weighing this now for a few years but haven't pulled the trigger. I was gonna get the snow brand TDI kit. I may try it on my duramax first as I see it having more benefit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:59 am 
LOST Junkie

Bushman5 wrote:

>???????????????

The intake has its owns runners. The air doesn't go on top of the valves. The oil remaining in there is from the crank case vents and as mentioned, if egr isn't deleted it mixes with the exhaust gases and makes nasty sludge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:57 pm 
LOST Member

jws84_02 wrote:
Bushman5 wrote:

>???????????????

The intake has its owns runners. The air doesn't go on top of the valves. The oil remaining in there is from the crank case vents and as mentioned, if egr isn't deleted it mixes with the exhaust gases and makes nasty sludge

ah gotcha, for some reason i thought the intake horn went into the valve cover.....duh...brain fart.
:5SHOTS:

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead