It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fuel Cooler
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:59 am 

Bushman5 wrote:
this is the fuel cooler i will be installing in a few months.

https://derale.com/products/fluid-coole ... kit-detail

Good choice, always liked that design; please let us know how it works out and where you end up mounting it! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
It would work well, directly inline with the steel fuel line's current path. Somewhat protected and still exposed to relatively cool air.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:53 pm 

Found this of interest in some notes:

- FUEL RETURN-LINE COOLER
Because of the compact fuel system in the Liberty CRD, an air-over cooler should be installed in the fuel-return line.
Return fuel is that fuel which is in excess of all injection events - this fuel can be at engine coolant temperature and higher as it leaves the injectors and mixes with excess fuel being returned from the Injection Pump.
The OEM return line in the short-wheelbase KJ does not provide enough surface area required for proper fuel cooling to reduce these high temperatures prior to re-entering the fuel tank.
Fuel aeration increases as Diesel fuel temperature increases - in-tank fuel temperature increases even more rapidly as fuel level drops, thus making the Jeep Liberty CRD a prime candidate for an auxiliary fuel cooler.
Bosch indicates an in-line return-fuel cooler is necessary in some CRD systems.

The CP3 system in the 6.6L DMax is factory-equipped with a fan-over return-line cooler to prevent fuel cut-back as in-tank temperature rises.

Several configurations are available, with the 12v fan-cooled type being the most compact while providing sufficient cooling area
Thermostatically-controlled valves are available to bypass the cooler in winter climates.

More from Heavy Duty Trucking.....
today’s diesel engines – depending on make – recirculate as much as 90% of the fuel delivered to the engine. Each “trip” to the engine and back increases fuel temperature, and sources tell H D T that in-tank fuel can reach well over 100 degrees F. Hot fuel in a mostly empty tank leaves hot air, which cools and condenses, forming water droplets that are added to the fuel.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:

More from Heavy Duty Trucking.....
today’s diesel engines – depending on make – recirculate as much as 90% of the fuel delivered to the engine. Each “trip” to the engine and back increases fuel temperature, and sources tell H D T that in-tank fuel can reach well over 100 degrees F. Hot fuel in a mostly empty tank leaves hot air, which cools and condenses, forming water droplets that are added to the fuel.

So if you live in say Arizona on a July/August day you fuel already is going to the engine at well over 100 degrees and at those temps that empty space in the tank is fuel vapors.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Do what you want but my son asked GDE about a fuel cooler in July 2009 and the GDE response was "A fuel cooler is not necessary on the KJ CRD. The temps rarely get over 130 F and only in low fuel level situations. Towing a 5000lb trailer with low fuel one can see up to 175 F with less than two gallons remaining in the tank...ie. with low fuel light on. Not something most people would ever consider doing. A fuel limitation starts around 160 F and progesses up to 195 F at which time the engine will only idle. We have never seen temps near this high. A fuel cooler can be a drawback if living in cold climates, there is more potential for line freeze with a cooler and the fuel heater on the vehicle does nothing for frozen fuel lines near the tank."

FYI my son was in graduate school in Tempe, AZ in 2009 with summer temps well above 100F with his 06 CRD, GDE EcoTune and regular GDE tranny tune, and had no fuel temp issues for the 4+ years he was there. In fact generally got better mpg than I did with my 05 in North FL but in fairness most of his driving was more on the order of highway than a local commute in Tallahassee, FL as the distances in Tempe/Phoenix are longer and roads "bigger".

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:33 am 

papaindigo wrote:
Do what you want but my son asked GDE about a fuel cooler in July 2009 and the GDE response was "A fuel cooler is not necessary on the KJ CRD. The temps rarely get over 130 F and only in low fuel level situations. Towing a 5000lb trailer with low fuel one can see up to 175 F with less than two gallons remaining in the tank...ie. with low fuel light on. Not something most people would ever consider doing. A fuel limitation starts around 160 F and progesses up to 195 F at which time the engine will only idle. We have never seen temps near this high. A fuel cooler can be a drawback if living in cold climates, there is more potential for line freeze with a cooler and the fuel heater on the vehicle does nothing for frozen fuel lines near the tank."

FYI my son was in graduate school in Tempe, AZ in 2009 with summer temps well above 100F with his 06 CRD, GDE EcoTune and regular GDE tranny tune, and had no fuel temp issues for the 4+ years he was there. In fact generally got better mpg than I did with my 05 in North FL but in fairness most of his driving was more on the order of highway than a local commute in Tallahassee, FL as the distances in Tempe/Phoenix are longer and roads "bigger".

That's OK, to each his own!
I added one based on advice and installed by another very knowledgeable LOST lifetime member and I thought it was a great idea based on some research and reading I found! :wink:
Several owners/members on LOST have installed them!
It's entirely your call, do what YOU think is best for you vehicle.... :5SHOTS:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well golly gee hush my mouth as we say down South I thought that's what I said when my post started "Do what you want" followed by GDE's comment as a counterpoint to other input. No particular need for a reply.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:06 pm 

papaindigo wrote:
Well golly gee hush my mouth as we say down South I thought that's what I said when my post started "Do what you want" followed by GDE's comment as a counterpoint to other input. No particular need for a reply.

:goink: :ROTFL:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch