It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bypass Oil Filter
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:49 am 
LOST Addict

Does anyone have experience using these on their CRD ?
They seem like a very good idea . I am considering installing one.
Any specific suggestions on where to install lines, what kits etc ? Any custom rigging I thought about trying head and filter I used for auxiliary 2 micron fuel filter but doubt would get much flow through it with oil though it is pretty low viscosity. know of any screw on filters/bases that could be used?

Feel free to make any comments, observations, personal thoughts or experiences even with other vehicles.

Thanks

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

Post subject: Re: Bypass Oil Filter
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:11 pm 
LOST Member

I am planning on adding a 2 micron fuel filter setup under the hood and a 2-5 micron bypass oil filter on the frame rail slightly rearward of the existing oil filter under the vehicle. Others have done the same with seemingly good results. I haven't finished planning the system out but I was looking at the Amsoil dual remote bypass kit to move the existing filter and the new one both to the same location.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/ ... e=BMK23-EA

Others who have actually accomplished this will have better input. I'm sure the naysayers will be here soon as well, but in my opinion the cost of the unit and filter changes over time will be worth it for the peace of mind that the oil is clean and dry and at least less acidic without particulates physically floating in it. Also, I'm a "drive it until it breaks in half" kind of guy, so that adds to the value of the system.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:13 pm 
LOST Member

all my trucking buddies run BIG dual bypass filters on their rigs. 1,000,000 KM oil changes with the bypass filters and oil analysis. 10,000 regular oil filter change, sample and top up. Their engines are beyond clean and have little wear.

i'm planning on using a centrifuge , mounting where the battery is (relocating the battery to the hatch)

MODEL 25 is the one i plan to get. http://www.spinnerii.com/index.cfm/lev1 ... .and.Specs

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:14 am 
LOST Addict

I saw the Amsoil kit and originally saw the sinister diesel kit that got me interested in going ahead and doing a bypass filter.

I had not seen the centrifuge system. This seems interesting I am going to look further into it.

I was really wondering if a regular fuel filter might work as a bypass filter and if not what size base would a filter that could fit on. Might just be able to get amsoil screw on filter put on $20 base and run some lines and fittings which should be a significant savings especially since i would probably do it on 4 vehicles eventually.

I really don't know why I haven't already tried this!!! I think I am going to try same setup as my 2 micron fuel filter and see what happens it can t hurt anything. if i put it on when oil is already dirty I can just look at the oil and get an idea if it is working in a few hundred miles i would think. This could be very useful in maybe getting this to be a 500,000 plus mile engine.

If I do anytime soon i will report results.

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

Post subject: Bypass Oil Filter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:50 pm 
LOST Addict

I have the amsoil dual bypass kit on mine. The oil comes out cleaner now than it did but still somewhat dark.

I mounted mine on the side of the trailer hitch on the drivers side, up behind the rear wheel. There really wasn't many other places under the car and it was tough in the engine bay

Also I believe that the Amsoil duel bypass kit uses the same filter size and threading as our stock filters. I've actually just been using the Fram XG8A on the Amsoil kit which is the same filter I was using before I installed the kit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:19 am 
LOST Addict

In researching more I found one that uses a roll of toilet paper as the filter medium. It has clamps on end and drops in a housing similar to the one world product. Thought I saved it but cannot find it now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:47 am 
LOST Addict

I have seen it all now, or at least almost . There is a bypass oil filter kit on eBay called the REFINER by John Frantz that uses a roll of toilet paper as the filter mediumhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/The-REFIN ... 1438.l2649

This link may or may not work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:47 am 
LOST Member

You might also look up Jackmaster for deep bed by-pass oil filtration (toilet paper style). Good information and he is a very helpful and experienced engineer. http://www.jackmasteroilfilters.com.au

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:51 am 
LOST Member

TKB4 wrote:
I have seen it all now, or at least almost . There is a bypass oil filter kit on eBay called the REFINER by John Frantz that uses a roll of toilet paper as the filter mediumhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/The-REFIN ... 1438.l2649

This link may or may not work.

I first heard of the toilet paper roll filter concept back in the late 1980's. I met guy who had a Ford F250 with 6.9L IDI diesel. He owned and operated a filtration company. He had portable filtration rigs that he would setup and run at your location to filter lube oil. He had a toilet paper bypass filter on his Ford. If I recall correctly, he claimed to have over 70K miles on the oil in that 6.9L IDI. He was planning to change the oil every 100K miles. I do not recall the filter change intervals, but I do recall him saying that he did change the filters (2) on a regular basis and topped off the oil afterward.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:02 am 
LOST Addict

Bushman5 wrote:
all my trucking buddies run BIG dual bypass filters on their rigs. 1,000,000 KM oil changes with the bypass filters and oil analysis. 10,000 regular oil filter change, sample and top up. Their engines are beyond clean and have little wear.

i'm planning on using a centrifuge , mounting where the battery is (relocating the battery to the hatch)

MODEL 25 is the one i plan to get. http://www.spinnerii.com/index.cfm/lev1 ... .and.Specs

I have a long-time friend who is a chemical engineer and who has worked with engine lubrication systems for over 30 years. He sells Amsoil Products as well as the Spinner II centrifuges. Here is his website...

http://kmt1.ca/

It is his professional opinion that the Spinner II products are the absolute best at maintaining clean diesel engine oil. The centrifuge technology works the best at maintaining perpetually clean oil for internal combustion engines because these oils are relatively low viscosity and the gravity effect of the centrifuge can effectively pull all of the heavier contaminants out of the oil. Centrifuge technology does not work very well with gearbox and differential oils because they have such a high viscosity.

HOWEVER, the Spinner II products are meant for industrial diesel engines of larger displacements that have the engine oil pump overcapacity rating to be able to divert enough oil volume to properly operate these centrifuges while still maintaining enough volume and pressure to properly lubricate the engine. Even with the relatively small Model 25 you want to use, Spinner II recommends that it not be used in any engine smaller than the Cummins 3.8L.

He does go on to say you CAN use the Model 25 in smaller capacity engines, but you will need to modify the oil sump to dramatically increase capacity and install a secondary oil pump to separately operate the Model 25. He tells me that this has been successfully accomplished on a VW turbo-diesel engine, but it is a lot of work and $$$ involved.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:00 am 
LOST Addict

Thanks for that enlightening information . I have done more research but still get varying data that seems conflicting. Will post some results later. One filter that comes up a lot is the Baldwin B164. Apparently Baldwin makes the B 100 filter sold by amsoil but doesn't have a Baldwin direct cross reference, most likely a contractural agreement between two. Here is a short video that refers to changing the Toilet Paper based Franz type filter every 3,000 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-B2T3dXa88

I also saw a reference to a Baldwin filter that is a high flow regular filter and a 5 micron bypass filter in the same canister type spin on filter. Will try to find out more about this one if it exists

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:05 am 
LOST Addict

I did some more snooping.
Hastings has some what they call High Velocity Dual Flow Filters. One of them is the LF 515 apparently used in cummings diesels. It has decent ratings and they have good info in their graphs etc. Here is a link to this filter data and similar ones they manufacture.

http://www.hastingsfilter.com/Literatur ... s/F507.pdf