It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Travel Trailers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:54 pm 
LOST Addict

The wife and I are looking to buy a travel trailer here soon. I have the F150, which is rated for 11,000 lbs but ideally can tow ~9000 lbs once you factor in payload and tongue weights, but I was thinking it might be nice to buy something the Jeep could tow as well. I think am more concerned about stability than power because I know its not going to be a race car up the hills. What are you towing and how does the Jeep do?

I have found a few used trailers locally that are 19 and 21 feet but have a base weight of like 4000-4300 lbs and GVWR's of 6000+ lbs. I feel like they could be closer to 5k with options, and then once you load up your gear and water they will be well over.

Post subject: Re: Travel Trailers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:59 pm 

Lighter is always better when towing provided the quality is there! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:57 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
The wife and I are looking to buy a travel trailer here soon. I have the F150, which is rated for 11,000 lbs but ideally can tow ~9000 lbs once you factor in payload and tongue weights, but I was thinking it might be nice to buy something the Jeep could tow as well. I think am more concerned about stability than power because I know its not going to be a race car up the hills. What are you towing and how does the Jeep do?

I have found a few used trailers locally that are 19 and 21 feet but have a base weight of like 4000-4300 lbs and GVWR's of 6000+ lbs. I feel like they could be closer to 5k with options, and then once you load up your gear and water they will be well over.

If you're looking for a camper, then the best brand is winnebago, which has the fewest complaints, best warranty and R value. A good choice is winnebago micro mini series, a good gvwr (around 3,500lbs) and space combo. I saw a YouTube with a guy pulling one with the new cherokee with wdh.

https://m.winnebagoind.com/products/tra ... ifications

There are more luxurious options out there, but this is a trailer you can tow with your crd easy, I'd advise getting the tandem axle and a weight distribution hitch. The series has single axle and tandem options.

All other brands outside winnebago are ranging from trash to so-so, in terms or longevity, reliability, customer satisfaction, warranty (keep in mind there is no lemon law for campers/rvs and what you get is what you'll keep - no lemon law replacement). It is also the best I know regarding weight - size & features ratio. They don't use plywood and the way it is constructed is more proofed against leaks. Also, the R value is better than competition (R value = insulation quality).

You can Google an YouTube the series and see the features they have, and also reviews.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

well - I don't tow - but I don't think any CRD towing discussion is complete without a link to Danoid's trailer

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=299596#p299596

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

thermorex wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

If you're looking for a camper, then the best brand is winnebago, which has the fewest complaints, best warranty and R value. A good choice is winnebago micro mini series, a good gvwr (around 3,500lbs) and space combo. I saw a YouTube with a guy pulling one with the new cherokee with wdh.

There are more luxurious options out there, but this is a trailer you can tow with your crd easy, I'd advise getting the tandem axle and a weight distribution hitch. The series has single axle and tandem options.

All other brands outside winnebago are ranging from trash to so-so, in terms or longevity, reliability, customer satisfaction, warranty (keep in mind there is no lemon law for campers/rvs and what you get is what you'll keep - no lemon law replacement). It is also the best I know regarding weight - size & features ratio. They don't use plywood and the way it is constructed is more proofed against leaks. Also, the R value is better than competition (R value = insulation quality).

You can Google an YouTube the series and see the features they have, and also reviews.

I just took a look at the website and they look great. For the size they seem to be a bit lighter than others I have looked at which have all been in the 4300+ lb dry weight range once you move up to tandem axles and get into that 19-21 ft range.

I was thinking tandems as I have heard they are quite a bit more stable, and I was going to go with an Equil-I-Zer WDH as I have heard great things from the F150 folks about them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:54 pm 
LOST Addict

ATXKJ wrote:
well - I don't tow - but I don't think any CRD towing discussion is complete without a link to Danoid's trailer

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=299596#p299596

The weight doesnt even scare me that much with that one, its the length. that is a seriously long trailer for a Jeep with like 104" wheelbase.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:05 am 
LOST Junkie

I have towed my 24 foot Jayco ultra light with my CRD. I use a weight distribution hitch. Scaled the trailer at roughly 5000 lbs with gear and empty tanks.

Handled pretty good as long as the distribution hitch was set correctly. Electronic brake controller and mirror extensions as well.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I wouldn't tow over 3500# max with the Lib CRD and would always use a WD hitch. You might get away with towing more on the flat at lower altitude but you will regret having more weight in the mountains. No need for dual axles with 3500# max weight either.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:57 pm 
LOST Addict

thermorex wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

I went and looked at the MicroMinnie tonight and it is a very nice unit. The issue I am having with it is that we have a 11 week old son and would likely have another baby in 2-3 year time so its limited in terms of sleeping area and not very future-proof.

We also looked at a couple of Solaire units that were between 3800 and 4000 lbs and were fairly nice, but I have not looked into them at all.

Then there was the Outback 210URS which was 4400 lbs, but it had a rear slide and felt like a 27' once it was all opened up.

stp2136 wrote:
I wouldn't tow over 3500# max with the Lib CRD and would always use a WD hitch. You might get away with towing more on the flat at lower altitude but you will regret having more weight in the mountains. No need for dual axles with 3500# max weight either.

I've got my tune turned up to 11 at the moment, Running about 400 ft-lbs and should be over 200 hp, but I know what you mean. I towed a 4500-5000 lbs boat with the Jeep in NH and it was really working to hold 65mph on the hills.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:38 am 
LOST Junkie

I bought my 04 Liberty Sport for the purpose of pulling a 22' long Terry Resort travel trailer however I didn't think it all the way through.

My gas powered Liberty Sport, 3.7 L engine, is capable of pulling 5,000 lbs and the travel trailer weighs in at 5,000 lbs.
It wasn't an easy pull.
I learned that you should have a tow vehicle capable of pulling more than your trailer weighs.
And before you ask, yes I had an electric brake controller added to the Liberty and a load levelling trailer hitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:46 am 
LOST Member

Depending on what size you want you may want to look into burro, castia, or scamp. They are a bit smaller for the most part but better built and laid out.