It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: disable ESP completely for an emissions test on 2wd dryno?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Is there a way to disable the ESP completely for an emissions test on a 2wd dyno?

Ive seen methods for other Jeeps but not specifically the KJ liberty.

I just took my Liberty CRD to the emissions stations to get checked. It failed. As soon as the ran it up on the dyno and I saw all the smoke I knew something was up because it never smokes that much. I reads this may happen due to the ESP and ABS freaking out because it was on a 2wd dyno and the front wheels weren’t moving. I've read on other diesel jeeps the ESP freaks out when it sees the rear wheel moving and the front not, and it apply the brakes, in turn putting a heavier load on the motor during the test and causing a failure. On top of triggering the CEL for the ABS (any check engine light is an automatic failure too). After the test I had a check engine light for ABS module and a ESP and ABS warning lights all lit up. While waiting for my paper work I went to go touch the rear brake disks, they were hot to the touch. I have to go to Denver for a 4wd dyno and pay as high as $100 for the test if I can’t disable the system completely.

I see that a few have with Cherokees and a few with the Lib CRD but the cause wasn’t really clear if it was a 100% known issue.

-Daryl

Post subject: Re: disable ESP completely for an emissions test on 2wd dryn
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes, ESP MUST be disabled for the 1 axle dyno test. The disable button is on the top of the steering column. The test tech should have known this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
X2

That's where it is on mine.
I just wasn't sure if it were the same on '05's or if export models were different since none of that info is given in his post or profile or sig.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That button does not completely disable the ESP,just lowers the engagement threshold.

To completely turn off the ESP you must disable the ABS system(pulling the main ABS fuse works) but can put the vehicle into limp mode.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:45 pm 
LOST Member

Abs fuse kills the speedometer and tach. for mine I just unplugged the passengers side abs sensor plug since it was the easiest to get to! Tach and speedometer work fine, but you get abs/esp lights and possibly check engine too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Correct, the botton was pressed but it does not completely disable the system.

As other have also said pulling fuses for the ABS system may also trigger a CEL, which is also an automatic emissions test failure point. Not sure on the gauge cluster, but Im sure they wouldnt test if the cluster is off.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just to clarify the 06 models have stability control, hence the semi-Off button, the 05 model does not, hence no button but both years can have ABS issues with a "roller" test. There has been LOST chat about this issue in the past, see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56239&hilit=emission+test

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Dez wrote:
Abs fuse kills the speedometer and tach. for mine I just unplugged the passengers side abs sensor plug since it was the easiest to get to! Tach and speedometer work fine, but you get abs/esp lights and possibly check engine too.

I pulled the ABS relay for parking lot shenanigans in the winter. The tach/speedo still works in that case.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:22 am 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
Dez wrote:

I pulled the ABS relay for parking lot shenanigans in the winter. The tach/speedo still works in that case.

Good to know, Everytime I pull a trailer the ABS System goes nuts mainly when in winding road. I finally got fed up and started pulling the plug on passengers side.